1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Graphics Card temperature goes 98C

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by phinix, 17 Jun 2012.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

This can't be right - my graphics card (GTX580) goes to 98C in about 30 seconds after game is launched, fan goes 100% speed. In FurMark it takes 10 seconds to get to 102C...
    Thing is, it started to do that after couple of months using it....

I'm guessing card is faulty, what do you guys think?

2. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

How good is your case cooling, and how well ventilated is the room your PC is in?

3. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Check your fan, a similar thing has happened to my HD 4890 - turned out the fan had jammed up and went far slower than it should, if it did at all.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

- Make sure your have great air flow. If you can post a picture of the inside your computer, that will be great.
    - Ensure that all fans are spinning properly, including your case.
    - Use a can of compressed air, and while holding the fan with your finger (to not make it spin at above design speed and break or become noisy) to clean the heatsink.

If that does not work, then the thermal paste might be faulty. New thermal paste would be needed (get 2 tubes, as you need to put on the CPU, voltage controllers, and RAM.. in some cases you have RAM with a heatsink metal plate on top of the card as well, all depending on the model of your card.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Have you moved your case recently? What's your cards idle temperature? I'd suspect either bad paste or an ill-seated card. The speed of the temperature rise would suggest that your cooling problem is not related to high ambient temperature, but rather due to a lack of heat sink contact.

6. B.o.B

B.o.B What's a Dremel?

Like specofdust said, it shouldn't have anything to do with ambient temp as a temp rise that dramatic would generally indicate a fault of some kind.

- Again, check thermal paste and reapply
    - Reseat the card
    - If you have a secondary card, swap them and run some tests

I had a similiar issue with a GTX460. It ran fine for the first 2 weeks and then suddenly ramped fan speed to 100% when in games and temps rose dramatically. After some testing (I had another GTX460 on hand) I confirmed a fault in the card and sent it back to be replaced. Not sure of the problem, but it seemed it was fine until under a certain amount of load, then it just lost it.

7. Deders

Deders Modder

cool to 98 in 30 secs? sounds like thermal paste heat transference issues. If you're not comfortable with re-applying thermal paste yourself or you may have warranty issues because of it, probably best to RMA or take/send it back to where you got it.

8. James'Mods

James'Mods Mad Man Modder

I agree. Most likely due to heat sink not making sufficient contact. If your CPU temperature are normal then I suggest buying an aftermarket heat sink for your graphic card and check again.

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

There shouldn't be a need to buy a new HSF unless the stock one is faulty (in which case a replacement should be sought). The HSF might just need reseating though.

10. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Hi guys!
    Thank you all so much for your input - let me explain more:
    problem is it is not even in a case - it happens on test bench, wide opened.
    Room temperature is pretty low, around 10-12C.
    Card idle temp having desktop only is around 35C, browsing internet around 40C.
    I turned Crysis 2 - don't know how high was it during intro, but as soon as video sequence finished and rendering part of the real game started, temp raised very quickly to 98C, fan was speeding up and after 30-40 seconds it went to its 100% speed.

Fan is clean, air vents on the back of the card look clean as well. No dust or anything.

Now, the funny part, this card was bought last year from DABS. Thing is it wasn't used for games, not for really demanding ones at least, so I never knew about the problem. Now when I put it in another PC and started to play games on it, it all showed up:(
    I tested it on 3 different setups and it does it on each of them. I also have other GTX580 card which doesn't do it, so I'm guessing this one is faulty.
    I don't want to open it to change paste cause I don't know if that would void my warranty.
    I already sent message to Gigabyte Tech Support on their page and PM Gigabyte Contact here on our forum (GIGA-MAN).

11. James'Mods

James'Mods Mad Man Modder

I'm not sure about their warranty either. Hope the RMA process goes smoothly. :thumb:

12. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

The 580s do get fairly hot, you should see mid to high 80s easily with a reference cooler. Although the arse end of 100C on a test bench is fairly high. It's going to be poor HS contact, so just send it off for replacement before you start getting any artifacting.

13. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I'll see what gigabyte tech support is going to say.

yeah, when tried Furmark test, it went up to 105C in 20 seconds and restarted PC:(
    To get to 95C it took only 9 second!

14. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I assume that the air being vented out of the card is very hot, and that the whole HSF assembly gets almost unbearably hot to touch? If not then you're definitely looking at either partial contact with the heatspreader or a faulty temperature sensor.

As other have suggested, if you've never had the HSF off then just let Gigabyte deal with it.

I remember a friend having a similar problem with a second hand 8800GTX a few years back. When we opened it up, a small motherboard screw fell out. The chap who had sold him the card had lovingly re-applied TIM but had somehow managed to trap this screw between the PCB and the HSF. The TIM was partially spread out but there was about 30% of the heatspreader sat completely naked. Needless to say, we reapplied correctly and it worked fine, somehow the whole process didn't destroy the card.

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Read my signature thread phinix! Also consider if that card has warranty left. Dabs have been very good with me on returns in the past so I hope a replacement of this faulty card wouldn't present a problem.

16. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Hi. I believe those cards have 2 years warranty so still lots left.
    Dabs website says return directly to manufacturer if faulty i couldnt even raised rma.
    Will see what i get back from Gigabyte tech support.

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Rubbish. Retailer is responsible for 6 years under the Sale of Goods Act. Only problem that being over 6 months of ownership the rule of law says that you have to prove the item had an inherent fault. I would follow the warranty first and then my signature thread for further options if that falls through.

18. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Trying to wave the SOGA to an E-tailer is like pissing in the wind. Unless you say exactly the right thing they won't even blink at you. Scan are actually awful for it, which is unfortunate as they're awesome otherwise.

Back to manufacturer normally ends up with less ball-ache.

19. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

You're right MjFrosty but it's no less worth the effort. I have also found SCAN very difficult to communicate with when a problem arose with my Blu-ray drive. However I did fight the case and win but it took more effort than I appreciated from the outset.

Although the process can be rewarding. Just read my signature thread for my experience with ebuyer who in my opinion are a really good retailer. That case was over a faulty Elite XBOX 360 that developed problems after 3 years of ownership. I argued it's a well known issue inherent in the hardware and they agreed, paying a partial refund of almost £100 with very little argument. The full exchange I had with ebuyer is available to read right here...

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=217849&page=4

20. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Just to let you know guys, after contacting Gigabyte Tech Support, they told me to get back straight to seller, so I when phoned DABS they told me that they only deal with this card in period of standard 1 year warranty and after that I need to get back to manufacturer (card has 3 years manufacturer's warranty). So I explained it to Gigabyte and they are happy to help me - I'm in the middle of RMA request, so should send the card to them this week. Gigabyte representative on our forum helped me out here, so big thanks to GIGA-MAN:thumb:
    I hope they will find the fault and fix it, or worst case, replace this card.
    Will keep you updated!:thumb: