1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling i5-3570K odd fan behavior / high temp (all stock)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ben123, 17 Jun 2012.

1. ben123

ben123 What's a Dremel?

:thumb:I recently made a build using this processor and the Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H motherboard. When I start up the computer the CPU fan does not start spinning until the mobo splash screen but the other fans do spin. On a couple of times when rebooting the CPU has exceeded 90°C according to the motherboards temp alarm. Is this normal? and what is the max safe temp for the CPU?

Also, the CPU idles at 40°C, and under load with Prime95 the cores run at 80°C which seems high seeing as I am not overclocking. Another issue is that the speed of the CPU fan and the case fans (coolermaster enforcer) does not appear to increase. Furthermore, I can not adjust the speed of any of my fans except the GPU fan using FanSpeed. I also tried EasyTune 6 which came on the motherboard disk and does not adjust the fans either.
    What can I do to change this?

2. James'Mods

James'Mods Mad Man Modder

Ivy Bridge tend to get hotter, it's completely normal. Make sure the HSF connector is connected to the 4-pin CPU fan connector.

3. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Hi Ben.
    No, belting up to 80C at stock clocks is not healthy, even for ivybridge

Check to make absolutely sure the fan header you've connected the fan to is for the CPU fan and not one of the case fan headers or PSU fan. Also, you've not said what HSF you've gone with, if it's the stock one, maybe not as efficient as a decent aftermarket one. I'd suggest you might find the intel tuning plan a useful safety net - http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

4. pournstarr

pournstarr What's a Dremel?

wow I am having the exact same problems you are. did you ever find a fix for this?

5. pournstarr

pournstarr What's a Dremel?

wow I'm having the exact same problem. did you ever get this resolved?