1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment I need a budget (~£300) DSLR to get into photography: what should I buy?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by tennisball, 20 Jun 2012.

1. tennisball

tennisball [Insert witty comment here]

Hey all, my old compact camera recently bit the dust, and I thought it was about time I bought a DSLR. I only have one problem: I have absolutely no knowledge when it coems to digital SLR cameras.

I Googled around for a bit and the Canon EOS 1100D seems like a good choice, but I really have no idea. So my question is this: what DSLR should I buy with a ~£300 budget?

Massive thanks in advance

2. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

My budget was also low and I'm very happy with my 1100d!

3. Guest-89078

Guest-89078 Guest

You could go for a modern, low end DSLR like the 1100D, or you could go for a higher-end older one like a 20D or 30D. They're built like tanks, but don't have video mode or such a high resolution. Anything over 4MP is plenty anyway (I've been happy with my Canon 10D and am only upgrading because I need a video mode).

4. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

I've been really happy with my 1100D which I got at Christmas. The only negative is relatively poor low light performance, but this will be an issue with any lower end model.

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Or a second hand 400/450D, will be way under your budget so you'd have some cash left over for an additional lens.

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I picked up my 550D with kit lens for £350, so I would seriously consider looking at the 2nd hand market, since DSLRs are built so well, unless it's ancient, with millions on actuations, you shouldn't be worried about it dying on you, and you can save yourself a handsome amount :)

tennisball likes this.
  7. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

I got my Nikon D70 on here for £200, came with a couple of lenses, batteries, and cards. Second-hand is definitely worth it on that kind of budget.

Keep an eye on the Market place and something will turn up.

tennisball likes this.
  8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'd go second hand to be honest.

As suggested, a 450/500D is still a great camera, for your budget you should be able to get a good one and some accessories/lenses.

Of the 4 lenses I have, 3 are second hand, and all are fab. I always check for a second hand lens now before buying as the discounts are that large.

tennisball likes this.
  9. October

October Mariachi Style

I just bought my girlfriend an 1100D for her birthday. I did plenty of shopping around but as far as I could tell there weren't massive savings to be had by getting an older camera, certainly the like of a 450 which seemed to be almost the same price for the body. Plus there's an 1100 kit that has the IS version of the 18-55, well worth it for ~£20 extra.

Although I suppose there was a certain amount of it being a 21st birthday present and me not wanting to give her something old...

As for lenses I have yet to buy one brand new (for myself anyway).

10. tennisball

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I'll be going for a 450D from Ebay.

Now, lens. What would be a good all rounder lens that I could get for ~£50 second hand?

11. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

How long is a piece of string lol? It depends what you enjoy shooting. Landscapes, macro, portraits?

12. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

The 450D should come with an 18-55mm kit lens which is a good basic lens.

What else you buy depends on what you like taking pictures of...

The fixed length Canon EF 50mm F1.8 is a great little lens and second hand in your budget, but an 55-250mm would be a good choice.

13. October

October Mariachi Style

I've sadly yet to see a second hand 50mm go for much less than a new one, more often than you'd believe they go for more.

Edit: Also just to add if you go for a 450D you'll need more expensive compact flash memory cards, rather than the cheaper SDs the 500D and above take.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2012
  14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i thought i'd throw Nikon D3100 into the mix :) seeing D3200 was just released, you might be able to pick up some really good deals.

good low light, fantastic full HD video performance, great selection of lenses designed specifically for crop sensor cameras.

eg. i took this yesterday doing tourism in Paris, at ISO3200. it's more than usable even for standard sized printing.
    (was pitch black except for those lights)
    [​IMG]
    Down in the Catacombs, Paris by wuyanxu, on Flickr

15. Elliot_O

Elliot_O SPARROW

I recently bought a 600D, with kit 18-55mm IS lens. This may be over your budget at first glance, but If you shop at Tesco and collect tesco clubcard points. You can spend your points at Jessops, It works out at half price, so just over £300. If you dont shop at tesco, its still reduced at Jessops, or alternatively buy an earlier model as aforementioned.
    Also If you choose the 450D, you can get an extremely cheap (for what it is) very well known SD card here : SanDisk 32GB 45MB/s SD Card £25.00.

16. October

October Mariachi Style

As I said, the 450D takes CF cards so the one you've linked there won't work with it. CF cards still aren't all that dear compared to a few years ago but they're still about twice the price of an equivalent size SD.

17. Elliot_O

Elliot_O SPARROW

Sorry, my bad, didn't do my research. I guess its up to the buyer, I personally wouldnt buy a camera that took CF cards If I had the choice, I just prefer SD mainly as you wouldnt need an adapter on most computers.
    But I guess its whatever you want in a camera.

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Personally i would avoid Ebay at first and get down to the closest London Camera Exchange (LCE).

It's a great place to handle whats on offer 2nd hand, your able to check the lenses for damage/mold and if your really friendly and be a little cheeky haggle on the price or get some free things.

few years back i got the GF a Canon 10D with a sigma 18-55mm (USED) and haggled for a UV filter and 2GB CF card (NEW off the shelf) all for £120. The battery was dead(ish) but 7dayshop fixed that for £7.

So lesson to learn, get down to the closest 2nd hand camera shop you can find. If i could rebuild my kit i would have gone Nikon rather than Canon but I'm happy with my 400D + EFS 17-85 IS USM

19. tennisball

Everything I've read said the 450D takes SD cards, not CF though?

20. October

October Mariachi Style

Flip sake your right...I'm thinking of the 400D...