1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-Modded Cases

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Lazy, 18 Apr 2003.

?

What do you think of pre-modded cases

1. I love them

43 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I don't like them

242 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. No opinion, the fence is comfy

145 vote(s)
    33.7%
  1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Who cares if the case is a pre-mod as long as you "make it your own" before stating you modded it? A agree with many of these posts that some people just don't have the time, knowledge, tools or ambition to spend cutting up their case. Thank you, but I like the view from the fence.

2. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

I either want to do it all myself or not have it done at all.

The only way I'd buy a pre-mod is if I was going to build a new PC for a friend or something and their case wasn't up to par and they didn't care for that home-made look.

3. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

im kinda confused with the poll results myself
    i bought a pre-modded case last week and posted pictures and asked for opinions (http://bee2643.homelinux.org/newage/) and everyone said that they didnt like premodded cases and "eww"
    yet in the middle of the week another forum member posted pics of his case, same make more than likely as there were few differences in window shape and front bezel buttons, yet his case was awesome and sweet.
    meh
    i dunno.

4. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak What's a Dremel?

i dont like them, they are either overpriced or ****ty quality...
    i lub my custom modded (by me) lian li pc60usb

however i do agree that dragging computers away from beigeness is good - the only thing of my box that is beige is the monitor, unfortunatly the black model wasnt available at the time...

Cheers

5. Seal

Seal What's a Dremel?

The cheap ones: NO plain and simple.

The Expensive, Lain Li/coolermaster/etc... pre modded ones: YES! A LOT!

6. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

talking about the mass produced pre modded ones

7. equus

equus What's a Dremel?

Personally I cant stand most cheap cases, windowed holed or not.

I dont see having these pre-moded cases as a bad thing, if people like the look of them then who are we to complain because they didnt spend a few hundred quid and almost lose a finger to do it?

Rather than complain lets just crack on with doing what the mod comunity does best, coming up with better & more unique things.

To be honest even with most mods things look the same, there is only so many windowed, stealthed & blow-holed cases you can see without thinking 'Great, another case that looks like its been stuffed full of some neon aliens guts and lit up like a rave club'

To sound like some annoying middle manager trying to be funny, we've got to think outside of the little brushed aluminium windowed box and look to the great mods like Mashies intel box, Zapwizards media box and other such projects.

8. WYSIWYG

WYSIWYG What's a Dremel?

9. Seal

Seal What's a Dremel?

thats a sweet case wysiwyg i think this poll is too general and should include like low budget, and high budget pre modded cases.

10. bilnv

bilnv What's a Dremel?

If you mod a case yourself chances are it will have a signature to it. That’s what makes it special. Premodded cases are all the same. This one is just like that one. If you like premodded great that’s up to the individual. I prefer to do it myself.

11. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

i dont like pre modded cases but then i havent modded my case at all really (/me runs from ppl wondering how i manage to be on a modding forum without modding)

im more interested in electronics and the stuff in the case but i still think the premodded cases are nasty and would rather do stuff myself.

working on an idea that will be cool but is gonna take ages to do and ive got exams in a couple of weeks . . . then 4 months off to sort it out in :D

12. WYSIWYG

WYSIWYG What's a Dremel?

whats my case come under?

modded or premodded?

(see my previous post 4 pics)

13. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Clear cases don't really fit into either, but I think NOT premod...

14. ReverendFränz

ReverendFränz What's a Dremel?

I wasnt aware they had non premodded cases anymore....

I mean if it rolls off the factory floor with a window or a couple curves on the faceplate or a light in the power button, in black, or out of ALU or steel, or with a latch on the side panel or with thumbscrews, usb front pannels, anything that didnt come on the old VAX cases, something that used to have to be modded, it counts as premodded?

give me a break, get over yourselves, something... thats what products do, they evolve, they look better they do more, otherwise 90% of the eyecandy mods you ppl show off wouldent even have happened. you use prelighted fans to show off your cool fan slots, you use UV tubing sold specificly for the purpose of looking cool in your PC, you buy water cooling rigs sold by an industry directed at a fairly large populus that wishes to buy its way to coolness (i had to use an swamp cooler fuid pump and a copper sheet block i soldered myself, on my first watercooling rig, but there is no way i would do that again, id buy one.)

Why do your bought mods make you any better than the next guy? just cause he has a Enermax brushed ALU case with a q shaped plexi window?

And what? you have your old 1980 ibm case, took it apart, modded the chassis to fit an ATX, brushed down the steel, put a window in, made your own fans, wired up a circut to power some sort of lighting, remoulded the faceplates to have a couple of sleek lines, milled out a watercooling rig? yeah...
    while some of you might have, im pretty sure most of the people here bought thier stuf at a "modding shop" yeah, thats it, a place where you can buy products designed for your needs.

modding was about getting something done that you couldent just go out and buy. A way to a need. just because now some people can buy what they need (even if it isnt much), doesent make those products inferiour, by the contrary, it makes them superiour, it shows that companies watch what modders do, and provide products to acomodate, with those extra features that just werent there before. weather they do it to your satisfaction or not is irevvelant, they do it more than they used to. you might say that alot of cases with alot of fans have poor placement, but id rather piont out that the old cases didnt have but one fan to start out with, it is an improvment. Weather you could do it better is irevelant, then do so. Personaly i would like to start with a case that has a few of the things i want on my rig, then mod what it doesent, than to get the most un usefull case ever and try and mod every little feature one by one.

Personaly my only qualm is that i cant buy the monitor i want in brushed alu, YET, maybe after they see mine some manufactures might decide to offer it as an option. That is the power of the modder....

/rant

15. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

i just think that if yer gonna make a case your own then you can do more with a non premod and it should be a sort of sig but if you dont have the time or just cant be bothered then its no biggie and a premods ok but i wouldnt consider it mdded until you have done something yourself to it

so just to clarify from scratch = teh 1337
    modded case = cool but not quite 1337
    modified premod = cool but not as good as modded case
    premod without anything extra = ok but no way cool
    case without anything funky and not even a paint job = ok but not as good as a good premod but better than a rubbish premod

16. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Mine started of as a semi pre-modded case Antec Plus View 1000AMG (side window) but I like it much more now that ive hacked it up .

I preffer custom and modded cases but I dont have a problem with premodded, whats wrong with buying a case you like the look of.

17. SugarBear

SugarBear What's a Dremel?

I didn't read the whole thread but I really disagree with the general feel so far. just because a case is a premod doesn't mean you didn't do any work and it's not "your own" I've switched to pretty much only buying premods unless I want a really unusual window.

I buy the Raidmax 268, recolor the front bezels, move switches around, stealth the drives with custom eject buttons, add a CCFL with custom front switches, make custom aluminum drive bay hiders for looking in the window, do custom cooling on PCI and AGP cards, I even occasionally mount a Mobo sideways or at some other weird angle, I paint the whole cage.

all in all, more work goes into my pre mod cases than a lot of "modders" put into their cases, and you want to say that just because it came in green with a window it's plain?

seems foolish, pre mods are A-ok, besides, it's my case, if I like it that's all that matters.

I don't like people who buy a pre mod, then stick a TT temp control and say "I modded it myself" but if you just own the case it's all good.

18. Flood

Flood What's a Dremel?

i have been interested in the modding community for quite some time now, but have yet to get my feet wet. one of the biggest things i wanted was a window, but i don't have a very steady hand nor access to tools to cut my own, so i bought a case with a window. is that so wrong?

i see pre-modded cases as a way to get peoples feet in the mod community door.

example: boy A buys a pre-modded case because he likes the look, but is too afraid to to it himself. after doing minor tweaks to his case over time, he feels ambitious and tries doing bigger things. modding a stock case, then eventaully building his own.

now is that wrong? in that respect...are pre-modded cases bad?

19. SavRow

SavRow What's a Dremel?

Pre Modded Cases

At SavRow we make pre-modded cases for our clients. However each and every single case is completely unique.

We make them based on client requests for specific paint, or windows, lights and cooling. Some of our systems (the Diamond Systems) come with a choice of Chroming, Leather trim and carpaint. Althought this may seem a little extreme, we feel it lets our clients design a truly unique system.

I believe that a modding project can be half of the fun, but our clients seem to find this a safer, sometimes cheaper and more finished approach to reaching their goals.

Just my two cents. I really enjoy reading this forum and felt you might be interested in a bit of a unique perspective on this issue.

Kind Regards,

Ali

Enough with the spam, please. :nono: --Nexxo

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Nov 2005
  20. BringItDown

BringItDown What's a Dremel?

I didnt read through all this but therse a few premods I dont mind. One would be premodded windows. Ive done my share of DIY windows and they never turn out perfect. Buying a side panel with a window and acrylic in it all nice and purty is a much better prospect to me then filing, b/sing around with grinding, then worrying about scratching the acrylic. But then again I may just get sick of this window I have right now and make it bigger. Who knows.:hehe: