1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Reliability of newer inverter-less CCFL's?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jashaf, 24 Jun 2012.

1. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

Reading through the forums and googling around it appears that there were a number of problems with the inverters for CCFL's (Cold Cathode Florescent Lamp) failing spectacularly and catching on fire / burning / smoking, etc.

So my question is with the newer inverter-less CCFL's do they have the same reliability problems. Can anyone relate their experiences with these new inverter-less CCFL's (Well the inverter is actually built into the unit but it is very small...

I am interested in the more compact units since they will take up less space in the case.

Thanks,
    Jas

2. geebles

geebles Own's a Dremel

I can't comment on the 'inverter-less' ones, but the standard ones is usually the high voltage filter capacitors that burn out, causing lots of smoke. You can get good quality ones for pennies (probably usuing high voltage rated ones would be better). I repaired mine once (2 years ago) with 2 new caps and its been fine since,

Hopefully someone will know the answer to your question :)

3. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

Yeah your experience jibes with what I read while googling around... I would rather forgo the possibility of burning smoke, etc since I often leave my machine on all the time and just sleep it...

Thanks,
    Jas