1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony, Panasonic team up on OLED displays

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 25 Jun 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

I would be throwing my money at the screen but I don't think I have enough

3. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I had a Sony/Fossil watch that had a blue OLED display, the display only lasted just over a year. I think I'd have to wait a while just to make sure the displays will last longer than the warrenty.

4. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

but i'm happy with my dell's contrast as it is - it's more pixels i'm after, get me more pixels! Cant believe you apple guys have more pixels than me.

5. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Bring it on! I want my incredible contrast ratio! My phone is so sexy for it.

6. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I thought Sony ditched their TV division?

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

So you don't mind that black is dark grey ?

8. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Id like to see the maximum monitor size go higher than 30 inches. I have three 30 inchers and would like to have them at least around 36 inches each, with 4k resolution each.

Yours in Absurd Awesome Gaming Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@Dagger: high resolution, maybe sometime in 2015. Bigger monitors than 30" ? Not likely.

10. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

Would one 55" 4K TV do the job? Yours for a mere £7000 :blush:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/toshiba-55zl2

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Monitors beyond 30" are more than impractical. However a higher resolution isn't.

That said, I've seen 60" monitors, but they had terrible pixel pitch. What should be fascinating is how the yields translate on large format displays. Because on a small scale AMOLEDs aren't bad. It's just that yields for displays are lower the larger the panel.

12. Pricester

Pricester What's a Dremel?

Bring back the 1200px high monitors. I sit about 12 to 18 inches away from my monitor when working or gaming, so I don't want a 30" beast on my desk - I'd actually have to move my head to look from one side of it to the other! However, it drives me mad that it's so hard (well, expensive) now to get any monitors that are more than 1080px high - that extra 120px may not be much, but for me that's basically a toolbar at the top of the screen, and the Windows taskbar at the bottom, which effectively I've lost because of the modern 16:9 ratios.

Also, I'm boycotting PC world and the like until they start including resolutions of monitors on their shelf-edge labels, instead of just the physical size.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

This. I only moved from a 5:4 because it blew up, and I made sure my replacement was a 1920x1200 rather than the cheaper 1920x1080. (I would have preferred an even higher resolution, but the budget disagreed.)

14. nmunky

nmunky What's a Dremel?

Ugh, you're absolutely right. PC World irritates the cr@p out of me with how they try to dumb things down. Rather than making a computer store for the everyman, they're keeping people in the dark and promoting consumer ignorance.

This is particularly bad instore where you hear the staff blagging customers as if they were new car salesmen. Nobody needs a core i7 over i3 just for email and web surfing.

Mind you, I'm probably biased since I never got over my irritation with them for being informed in a patronising tone some years back that PCI IDE expansion cards didn't exist because "computers can't have more than 2 disk drives, you don't know what you're talking about mate".

Yes, I am an angry old man.

15. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

The stupidity and incompetence of PC World staff is the stuff of legend.

OLED displays, though, are awesome and fantabutastic - they're already quite commonly used in film and TV work, where the contrast ratio is worth paying for. Strictly speaking, anyone with a lot of money could already go and buy a Sony BVM-E250, which is a 24.5" OLED and has HDMI inputs. They do cost about £20k, though. They're also about six or eight inches deep and weigh a ton.

I currently use two Dell 2405s and like them enough that I'm looking for another. The difference between these really rather high contrast TFTs and an OLED is in the off axis viewing, but from square on, it isn't exactly night and day.

Tags: Add Tags