1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 670 Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by facwit, 28 Jun 2012.

1. facwit

facwit What's a Dremel?

Hi All.

Simple question.

If you were going to order a new GTX 670 this afternoon which one would you get and from where?

Thanks.

FAC

2. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

3. maple

maple Minimodder

palit one is £100 cheaper

4. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

The most popular one seems to be the Asus TOP edition, you can find it for £350 if you look around.

5. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

It is, but it's a 2GB model as opposed to the 4gb model I suggested and I personally prefer EVGA as a company due to their awesome warranties, great customer service and the step-up program.

besides its a purely hypothetical question, the op asked what 670 we would buy if we could, no price limitations were given.

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

If I may, a simple question back? What res are you gaming at, and what are the specs of the rest of your PC?

4GB cards will only give any benefit when used in multi-monitor setups and where everything is cranked up to the max, at single monitor resolutions they are identical in performance to the 2GB models. The 670 and 680 are limited by bandwidth rather than amount of memory.

If it were my money I'd pick up the vanilla EVGA model for £323 because as mrMonkeyChunks states above they have a good warranty, although not quite what it once was. Step up is useless unless you're buying cards at their end of life, and is surprisingly costly in most cases as well.

7. maple

maple Minimodder

I'd go for palit one and with the £100 left i'd build a nice budget pc with a E6300 4gb ram and 4850

8. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

The GTX 670 reference cooler is pretty bad. Fine if you're going to use water cooling, but otherwise the non-reference ones are far better. Gigabyte's is fairly cheap.

9. Shirty

I suppose the noise levels are subjective. I'd watercool it anyway of course ;)

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Jeeze. Unless your running a multi monitor setup get the 2GB version and save yourself a wad of cash.

I'd get The MSI version.

11. facwit

facwit What's a Dremel?

Thanks all.

It will be for gaming at 1920 x 1080 but I want something that will handle 1920 x 1200.

Mostly playing ARMA 2, BF3 and Skyrim.

I'm not looking at water-cooling. Would the Gigabyte one be much quieter than the EVGA with the reference cooler?

12. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

The reviews all seem to vary between 'a bit noisy' or 'an annoying whine'. There are great coolers for barely any extra cost though.

13. Shirty

I can't help much on cooler noise etc, but I'd say a reference 2GB model will suit you fine for those resolutions.

Pookeyhead likes this.
  14. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

The Evga 670 F T W is probably tied with Asus TOP for best 670. Mine's a beast. It runs effortlessly at 1275 core and since it comes with the 680 cooler and pcb/power circuitry it runs cool and OCs extremely well.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2012
  15. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

The Gigabyte is a lot quieter, according to the reviews, and it's only £320 at Dabs with their £10 voucher. A bonus is that it uses the 680 reference PCB (with a custom cooler), which means you could find more buyers if you want to sell it later.

Info here:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...-gigabyte-gtx-670-windforce-oc-review-18.html

16. facwit

facwit What's a Dremel?

Gigabyte it is then!

And thanks for the heads up on the £10 discount at Dabs.

17. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

I have the Asus Non TOP version...quiet, great looking and powerful.

18. Somer_Himpson

19. FifteeeCal

FifteeeCal What's a Dremel?

From what I've heard, the Gigabyte Windforce is probably the best of the lot, apart from the insane 4GB super overclocked jobbies, but you don't really need that anyway!

20. Somer_Himpson

I would disagree as the Asus not only looks better (Particularly if you partner it with a ROG board) but has an excellent backplate and near silent operatrion, even when under the cosh.