1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 minimum 'C' Partition size?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Guinevere, 30 Jun 2012.

1. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I'm wanted to get windows 7 running on my retina macbook to gain access to my windows games. I don't want to devote anything more than the minimum for the windows partition.

I've got a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD that will go in a USB 3.0 caddy and be used for the main steam folder, and any other games / apps.

So what's the minimum size of windows partition that will see me through the next 18/24 months?

I think 30GB will 'probably' do it. That should be enough for a fully patched install with a bit of breathing room.

Thoughts?

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I've got a 32GB ssd for my boot on my htpc, which is currently sitting at about 18GB used. If you're not going to install much asides from Windows that should be fine.

3. qndzi

qndzi What's a Dremel?

For me 40 is just about enough to be comfortable

4. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Really depends on what ur installing. I got a 50GB partition for my windows 7 - only have abouyt 3.5 - 4 free on it.

5. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Again similar to lysol, I have Windows installed to a 32GB SSD on my htpc. Cant remember how much free space I had at the end but seemed to be ok.

On my main rig I had a 60GB, after a few months I was struggling to keep a decent amount of free space on the drive.

Regards,

6. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

I can't find it as I'm on my phone, but goodbtyes did a good post on the size of a windows 7 installation and how to make it even smaller

7. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Windows 7 Streamlining

:thumb:

deathtaker27 likes this.
  8. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

+ rep Neil, thanks for that

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

what, hey what, hmmm, i never normally partition hd's i do currently have my 2 tb drive partitioned but only to dual boot win7/win8

i believe that if you need data on a seperate hd, use a seperate hd

saying but if my windows screws up i can get my data back, isnt always the case, especially if that hd has a proper hissy fit and dies