1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Arma 2: DayZ

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kingred, 24 Apr 2012.

1. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Started playing a bit today. This is one of the best games I have played in a VERY long time. It has it all. With a little refinement, this is a must play for sure.

Playing with a group of people but we tend to split up and then meet up again (usually after a few of us have died. Due to the realistic day/night cycle, I have mostly been playing on US east servers.

Players are more dangerous than zombies.

I had just spawned and having knew the area a little, was on my way to somewhere I knew would have some kind of weaponry. On my way, came across another guy who was also unarmed. He was bitching about being killed after having the best bags, weaponry and everything else and asked if he could tag along. I begrudgingly obliged (bit of a lone wolf tbh). I tried to shake him loose a few times but he ended up finding me everytime, and by the time I had made my way to the barn, we were both together. I instinctively turn left and start searching for guns and he goes right. Typically, my side was empty and I hear him begin to load a weapon, and then tell me he has found a sniper rifle. I carry on searching the upper floors his side and find a winchester. As I start to pick it up, he opens fire on me - it seems he decided he wants his pick of both.

I am no longer trusting anyone!

At the moment, I have an Uzi and an AK but ammo is low so I would probably ditch them even for a hatchet (don't underestimate the stopping power of those bad boys).

Amazing game. The only thing it really needs is more incentive NOT to be a douchebag. Its kill on sight or be killed, despite watching youtube videos of people communicating their intentions more. The more popular it grows, the worse I see it getting to.

Random spawns, usually in general civilian buildings. Also, there is a supermarket NE elektro which has loads of food. Remember to loot zombies too as food on them has saved me quite a few times.

Personally, get the hell out of dodge. I'm growing to be a wilderness survivor. There are plenty of decent guns hauled up in farms/woodland without the ballache of busy areas. As soon as you have a hatchet, some matches and a knife, you don't really need them anymore.

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I found that supermarket, finally found some food!

From my understanding once you have a hunting knife, hatchet and canteen the only consumable item you need is matches. Canteen for water, hatchet to kill animals, knife to gut, hatchet to get firewood, matches to light fire. Getting all of those then heading off into the woods is my general plan.

I've only had real contact with players twice. Once a guy with a hatchet snuck up behind me, stood there for a second, then left. The second time a guy came around a corner right into my sights. He immediately started saying he was friendly and we made peace. We chatted about what loot was left over in what buildings and went our separate ways. So far it's been pretty nice.

3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I've just spent 3 hours running around the northern half of the country completely lost. It wasn't until the sun showed it's face that I could tell which direction I was going in. Unfortunately, although I could tell which way was east, the sleepy part of my brain was having an argument with the logical part about which way was north. The sleepy side won and I ended up running in the wrong direction for hours, not seeing any towns or buildings in all that time. I only realised my mistake once I'd reached the edge of the map. Thank god for my hatchet, knife and matches or I'd have starved to death.

Funny thing is I didn't feel bored at any point.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The paranoia is insane with this game. I've played on a near empty server at night, and still running through forrests was making me paranoid!! I've decided I'm going to get a sniper rifle and sit on the hills outside Cherno taking pot shots at people...

5. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Loving this, but not making any progress at the same time!

Are we supposed to be able to pick up those axes embedded in tree stumps? - Those are the only 'weapons' I've yet to see!

I logged out yesterday, only to find someone had boxed me in with barbed wire overnight - I had to suicide and respawn... #fail

6. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Ahh yes, forgot about that one. It s the only thing I am lacking at the moment. Just cooked my first steaks though - was a bit of a pain in the ass with full bags.

No, unfortunately you can't pick them up. Weapons are more likely to be found in barns I have realised so try and find a farm!

There seems to be a massive problem with barbed wire - people are going crazy with it.

7. silky

silky What's a Dremel?

What is the motivation for this game, to keep playing? I gave it a shot tonight but I ran around for about an hour and all I managed to do was avoid zombies and collect some junk. What happens if you keep going? I'm assuming you can eventually find some weapons and defend yourself better, but then what? Are there any objectives or anything? Or can you find a building and defend it and then start a business in there? Importing supplies or something?

It seems very promising but these questions are all big issues for me. In an MMORPG you do a similar kind of thing, but as you grind through the game you end up with cool combat abilities and spells and you get to visit amazing places and fight dragons etc.

Even in Arma2 itself, when I play Warfare/CTI, you start in a similar position but you earn money as you progress and capture towns, so eventually you can buy a humvee, then upgrade to a tank, and the motivation to keep playing, keep fighting, and keep taking over towns, is that eventually you can fly gunships, jet fighters, or fill a blackhawk full of soldiers and become the general of your own army.

8. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

All of this. I've been playing the whole weekend and have probably died upwards of 30 times. But its so addictive! I have learned not to trust people. I saw a guy with no weapon running away from a zombie bleeding, so I decided to make a friend. I had just acquired a CZ550 sniper rifle so I ran up close and shot the zombie. The guy just stood there for a few seconds and then his friend ran up behind me and hacked me up with his hatchet. Lovely stuff.

I found a ghillie suit yesterday too, but I decided not to wear it for fear that some ass tries to take it.

Loving this game at the moment. I just have to learn not to take so many chances.

9. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Lucky *******! Where did you find it?! Put it on immediately! It is just a skin change (doesn't effect zombies perception, its mainly a pvp item) and as such, players can't loot it from you. I know this because...

I was on my way somewhere and came across a city with some apartment blocks. Fancying some new items, I decided to go and have a look inside. Just some ammo and bandages but the place was crawling with zombies! I managed to aggro about 10 even whilst attempting to be a stealth ninja and had to AK them down in one of the rooms. Broke my leg too but luckily I had morphine. As I was exiting, I got greedy and decided to try the next apartment building. Walking up to the entrance there was a guy in a ghillie suit with a rifle, lying down on the landing pointing it at me! I said friendly but bottled it and logged off (didn't fancy starting again as I had just got all the kit I needed and was really far north).

Later I logged back in only to find I was stood next to the corpse of some guy in ghillie suit. I was quite dissapointed that I couldn't yank it from his corpse. His pistol (luckly the same one I had been collected ammo for) was empty so I imagine he got his brains eaten trying to get out of the building alone.

After an interesting encounter at an airstrip (I had to run for my life after a sniper firing and hitting me), I wondered back to where I knew to hack up an animal and get some blood back. After that I got a bit lost, wondering round. Suddenly I saw TWO vehicles! Lucky? No. It was someones camp (loads of little equipment tents everywhere). I started looking round them, seeing what I could swipe when I heard noise in the distance. 4 Guys were charging at me (must have spotted me) and opened fire. Ran for my life and eventually they gave up the chase.

They were hoarding EVERYTHING. Vehicles, guns, ammo, shame I didn't really have time to swipe anything.

I have no idea where it was either as I am still lost else I might of considered running back there and having a little look to see if there was any good I could use.

10. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Wow its amazing how much action you see running around lol. We should join forces sometime, and hopefully improve our chances. I found my ghillie suit in a house in Elekto I think.

11. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

You guys have convinced me to buy this game tonight!! Can't wait!

12. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

I bought it about an hour ago, but haven't received a code for steam yet :(

13. suragh

suragh Derp

What do you mean? When you normally buy from steam it just downloads/installs in your library. :eyebrow:

14. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

I made mad progress yesterday evening.

I went from finding my first ever weapon - a hatchet, to bowling around in a fully fuelled jeep mowing down zeds and picking up and taxiing wilderness hitchhikers in a few hours.

The amount of commotion a working vehicle creates is insane; Zeds come running at you from miles away! They're also surprisingly resistant to being run over... players not so much - I accidentally ran over a player in full camo (ghille?) and 1HKO'd him - he must have been furious!

Anyway, I couldn't resist looting him, and came away with a 16? slot bag, sniper rifle, shotgun, and magnum style revolver. Beans, meat, and bandages were also the order of the day. A few minutes later I got kicked from the server - I don't know if that was related to my rampage or not, but when I re-joined, my lovely jeep was gone! I still had all my stolen goodies though and continued to pillage and destroy alone, but then I just... died? I have no idea what happened, I had had full health!

Anyway, will be back to square 0 tonight, would love to team up if anyone's about! Is there a particular server people play on?

EDIT: BTW, I have this thing about always playing female characters - In this game it's a handicap because you can't wear camo at the moment? I ended up dropping the camo for the extra space.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2012
  15. adrock

i bought it from bohemia interactive as it was 15 quid, rather than 25 on steam. but my order with them is sat at 'payment pending' and in paypal it's showing as completed.

16. suragh

suragh Derp

Oh lol. Tried emailing them?

17. adrock

yup, just waiting on a reply.:sigh:

18. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

LOL I found 2 ghillie suits within minutes of each other in Elektro earlier.

The ghillie suit had a strange affect on me. When I put it on I felt compelled to climb the hill behind the powerstation in Elektro and pick people off with my Enfield, just for the hell of it. I've never done that before. The people who join the UK9 server better watch themselves from now on just in case I'm dressed in my swamp monster costume.
    [​IMG]

Found a couple of small boats yesterday and couldn't help singing the Love Boat theme tune as I sailed down the coast.

I bought through bohemia as well, my steam serial number was emailed to me immediately.

19. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I blame Valve. They are holding back the steam sale and stopping my buying Arrowhead...

20. suragh

suragh Derp

Just buy it, its worth every penny!