1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Advice for New Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nazata, 24 Jun 2012.

1. MagR

MagR What's a Dremel?

That is pretty much what I would have used if I were building today. I might swap the cooler for a Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced as they are so quiet and add a 2TB hard drive for bulk storage like the Seagate Barracuda (these are down to around £80 again). I have a fortress FT-02 case which is very similar to the Raven and they look great and cool well.

2. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

Ok, so this is my build more or less as I'll be ordering it in 2 days as that's when my bank says is the latest possible date they'll have sorted themselves out by.

Item| Price
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155€212.12
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Sockel 1155, ATX€128.51
    NZXT Phantom 410 Midi - gunmetal, ATX, ohne Netzteil€107.09
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9€36.53
    Arctic Cooling Wärmeleitpaste MX-4 Tube€3.09
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho€34.89
    EVGA GeForce GTX 670 Cheesecake, 2048MB DDR5, PCI-Express€382.71
    Shipping€18.99
    Total|€1121.88

Along with 256GB Samsung 830 from Scan and an IPS235V from either Scan or Dell.

I'm unsure of what PSU to use, would prefer modular and would like the option to use SLI in the future, though it won't be happening any time soon.
    Would really appreciate a few suggestions for 650-780W (would 650 be the lower limit for SLI 670s or would lower wattage do?) PSUs, preferably modular, and under 100 euros..
    These are ones I've found that I'm considering atm:
    Super Flower Atlas Design Edition Modular 80plus 780W€89.98
    Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX750M, 750Watt€107.97

Also could someone suggest some 120 mm fans that I could use to improve airflow. Planning on buying two more for the case (should I wait till I see what colours go well with the case or bite the bullet now?)...

3. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 3 Jul 2012
  4. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

5. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

I have this one
    BeQuiet Pure Power L8 630W
    Looks brilliant, is dead quiet, cables brill to organise and tidy and hasn't skipped a beat so far. Check my sig for the rig it is powering (Including 9 case fans and fan controller)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have this Aerocool fan controller which (although slagged off because of the viewing angles by Bi-Tech) is excellent. The viewing angles are only an issue if you look straight at it. Mine is just to the right of me and it looks great. Also does a good job of controlling 4 fans and has temperature sensors for the cpu, graphics, system etc.
    I connect the remainers of my fans to the mobo and set them to silent profile in the BIOS...result:- dead quiet system with NINE case fans!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Jul 2012
    Nazata likes this.
  6. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

That looks great in your case! Could you tell me which cables are modular and which aren't please? (if it's not too much bother :) ) Or is it fully modular bar the Motherboard and CPU connectors?

7. Somer_Himpson

More here:- http://www.kitguru.net/components/p...iet-pure-power-l8-630w-power-supply-review/2/
    CPU and mobo power are hard wired only.
    As regards your case, I would make a practical suggestion for going for the Corsair Carbide 500r that I have and have previously reommended in this post.
    It has a big bulge in the side door which MASSIVELY helps when cable tidying a highly specced system with lots of wiring.
    It also looks the bollocks and comes with 4 case fans out of the box which are controlled by a fan controller built into the case.

8. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

Excellent, I think I've found my PSU :)
    Yeah the Carbide 500R, is definitely very attractive...
    I think I'll have a read up on some reviews, there's a considerable chance I'll change to it from the Phantom...
    Thanks for the help Somer, really appreciate it.

9. Somer_Himpson

No problem m8, happy to help out.

10. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

Would the Be Quiet Pure Power L8 730W struggle with SLI 670's due to only having 29A max output on +12V?
    Could someone clarify what the significance of this figure is please?

11. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

My build finally arrived!
    The final purchase was:
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal Edition
    CPU: Intel i5 3570k
    CPU Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Macho
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz (2 x 4Gb)
    SSD: 256gb Samsung 830
    HDD: I have an old 320gb IDE drive + Sata to IDE adapter (if I really need the storage space)
    GPU: Evga GTX 670 Cheesecake Edition
    PSU: Corsair HX 650W
    Monitor: 23" LG IPS235V
    Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG
    TIM: MX-4

Will hopefully be building it tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice for building it?
    What's the best method of applying TIM?

12. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

Rig is working great, the Thermalright HR-02 Macho is terrific with Ivy-Bridge so far, will probably post some overclocked results when I give it a try (which will probably be next week due to the distraction of my sister's wedding...)
    Is an extension of GTX 670 warranty of 2 years (from 3 to 5) with Evga worth 20 euros?
    Is the 10 year warranty for 40 euros worth it? (Does anyone know if this covers overclocked cards/how good of a warranty it is?)

Last edited: 11 Aug 2012
Tags: