1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Xbox Slim Lcd 7 Inch Screen Build Up 12 Hour Build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ozzylow, 5 Jul 2012.

1. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

Going to try a build up a bit different this time the idea is to complete a Xbox 360 case mod within 12 hours.

This will be started on Saturday 7th July from 9am - 9pm. Australian Eastern Standard Time. Please check back often on the day to see the progress.

The plan is to show a step by step full tutorial of how I will be building this case. Every step will be shown with pictures / video in one topic. The entire build will be filmed. ( YouTube will show important parts of the build )

Starting with disassembly of the Xbox Slim case, moulding the screen into the side of the Xbox Slim case and finishing with a coat of paint. Everything will be shown so you can attempt this mod yourself. What to buy, where to buy, how to wire everything will be shown and answered.

Everything I need has already been bought and delivered.

Starting the topic up now to get some interest and look forward to any ideas you have. Especially the colour. I would like to go with a single colour but have not decided, feel free to give me an idea.

Below is my first Xbox 360 S case with built in screen. Have a few new ways of doing things and should be a lot quicker now that i have everything before I start and it has been done before.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Jul 2012
    dark_avenger likes this.
  2. Virus44

Virus44 What's a Dremel?

Interesting will watch :thumb:

3. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Yeah wouldn't mind seeing how ya done this :)

4. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

Late start, decided to start at 10am now, so far about 30 minutes into the build. This is the part that's going to slow me down, uploading photos, resizing, uploading to imageshack then posting on the forums.

Brand new Xbox 360 S 4GB, i have added a 250GB from a previous case as 4GB is never enough, some games require more then that just to be able to play ( Halo 4 ) a cheaper way is a USB up to 16GB limit.

[​IMG]

Start time is 10:07am Saturday 7th of July. I will be keeping the stop watch running the whole day to see how far i can get in the 12 hours. I am expecting to get it all done, will have to wait till Sunday to put it back together after the paint is cured.

[​IMG]

7 Inch Screen, i will link you to the screen that i am using on eBay.

[​IMG]

The frame comes off easily, i keep using these same screens because I know how it works.

[​IMG]

They are a lot easier to wire to the Xbox then it looks, video will be show along with pictures.

[​IMG]

Right now 40 minutes into the build. Pictures and video will be delayed.

5. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

Can this please be moved to project logs.

6. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

Top of the Xbox insert flat blade where i have and lever it back to get the top grill out, there are a tonne of YouTube videos showing how to open the case, i will show the basics with a couple tricks.

[​IMG]

Keep using the flat blade to pry open the clips, you will break some small pieces just take your time

[​IMG]

This is the sweet spot, right underneath the warranty sticker, press down and it will pop out the two sides.

[​IMG]

Once one of the sides is off, remove the 5 larger screws from the case to release the other side.

[​IMG]

When removing the faceplate be careful of the blue ribbon. If you rip this you will have problems.

[​IMG]

Stripped in 10 minutes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pile of stuff left over not needing paint or modding

[​IMG]

8. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

Don't try to tape around the power button, remove it properly. Just insert a flat blade or hobby knife underneath and pop each of the 3 points. Tape the ribbon cable and the power button up and then its ready for primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hour and 15 minutes ready for primer. Light sand with 400 grit paper to give the primer something to stick too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When cutting the section out for the screen ( or a basic window mod ) keep an idea where the mounting points and clips go on, don't cut these out of the case, the case won't be a good fit after you start cutting these out.

[​IMG]

Lay some tape down before you cut on the plastic with a Dremel, as you cut the plastic melts back onto the case and more work is needed to take it off again. With the tape it melts on to that and peels off easily. All little things like this save you a heap of prep and sanding work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tight fit.

[​IMG]

9. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

Styrene sheeting used around the edges so I can raise the screen out and have it sit level.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taped around the edges

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

Half way mark now 6 hours into the build, I'm not spending all my time on this doing other things in between.

Drilled the two holes for the 3.5mm headphone / speaker jack and the switch for the component output.

[​IMG]

Almost finished smoothing out the frame, one more skim coat of filler and its ready for primer. still not sure on colour, I might just end up painting it black, have less then an hour till the shops close for paint. Ill keep making these so I can paint it different another time.

[​IMG]

11. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

First coat of black

[​IMG]

Final coat, i wanted to go for a matte finish with a bit of texture to the paint.

[​IMG]

coffinator6 likes this.
  12. coffinator6

coffinator6 What's a Dremel?

I'm not an xbox guy but that is bad ass.

13. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

Will post more detail on wiring later on.

Audio and Video Pinout

[​IMG]

An hour to go

[​IMG]

Testing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished with 22 minutes spare.

[​IMG]

14. RustyTool

RustyTool What's a Dremel?

great job m8. the result is great!
    I don't know why you set that timeline
    could u plz post the link for the screen?

15. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Awesome work

16. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Thats just soo cool. Looks like it was always there. Top modding dude :thumb:

17. RebootTech

RebootTech Budget? What Budget?

So great. So many of you guys have skills I could only dream of. Very nice work!

18. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Very nice work, 1 thing though - its not a good idea to have all that wire bunched up around the heatsink but you may well have already cut it down now? :)

Can you put some details of the wiring up and also is the screen powered by the Xbox or and external supply?

Cheers and well done :thumb: