1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice The 'Things You Wish You Never Bought' Thread.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kamikaze-X, 6 Jul 2012.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Some cheap Scythe fan controller. I figured it'd be cool to have when building my system... turns out I'm too lazy to care about turning up and down fans and just leave them at 100% since they're fairly quiet.

The opposite of this is that I picked up a 120mm fan to go on my case door and it's brutally loud, to the point where I don't even use it. Now I need to get that fan controller back out of storage!

Logitech G110 keyboard... really didn't like it at all. It's a good thing I was turned on to mechanical keyboards when I was, it was about to be replaced either way.

I almost want to say my 160GB Intel X-25M. It's awesome and completely sold me on SSDs, and it was fast for its time, but looking at the speed and prices of a comparably sized SSD now makes me a bit sad. But then I look back on how much I've loved having quick load times all this time and it's worth it again.

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

SilverStone Fortress FT02, I had the red interior version. This had so many design faults the three fan controllers could not be got at unless you removed the top of the case. The insides of the case could not be accessed unless you removed the top of the case. why then was the top of the case not hinged.

Very little space behind the motherboard tray for cable management particularly if the molex were of the bulkier style.

And god was it heavy, I stuck mine on 6 casters just to move it about without me wrecking my back.

I know I have other 'Things You Wish You Never Bought' I must give it some thought.

3. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Final Fantasy XIII. Mind numbing game to be sure.

4. Andre_B

Andre_B Minimodder

My wife got rid of her 9900 and upgraded to a Galaxy Nexus yesterday. She hated the 9900 but loved her 9700 as well.

5. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

I read tonnes of reviews about the cosmos, but none mentioned the specific problem of a rivet in the price expansion slots blocking dual height graphics cards from being screwed in properly. You have to live with them properly to find out all the flaws.

6. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Too small for anything? It's meant to be a somewhat compact ATX mid-tower, and being that I find it pretty easy to work in... I know what you mean about taking apart the roof though. Silly design up there, too many layers. Comes together very solidly though.

7. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

Dbl post

Last edited: 6 Jul 2012
  8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

For me probably my P35 Shuttle barebones..

Expensive, loud, unreliable.

9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Well, I guess I've gotten really lucky with all my components the :thumb:

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

My Pentium 4 540 and ECS RS400 A.

They aren't bad, just that for the money at the time, I could've gotten something much better than it.

That and I guess my HD6850. I should've gotten something faster.

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

My girlfriend's Galaxy S2. She was happy with her iPhone but old cleverdick here tried to coax her to the dark side. She has hated it from day 1. It has a cracked screen and several large divots missing from the casing.

I wince every time I have to use it.

Moreover she is more than happy to let our 1 year old daughter chew it, and there are screens and screens of random icons, sometimes one to a whole page.

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

this is definitely a problem with reviews, usually the product isn't used long enough to discover all its little flaws

13. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Nvidia GeForce FX 5950 Ultra - Biggest waste of money ever. I still have it knocking around in my loft. No bugger would buy the damn thing...

14. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I hated the Antec 900. Was so small and could not do much with it. I struggled with it especially doing a build as my hands struggled inside the case ( large hands ).

Hence now when I buy a case I pop into yoyotech to actually checkout the the size of it. That is why I will struggle to part with my Haf "x"

15. coffinator6

coffinator6 What's a Dremel?

my Rat 9. Way to small for my monster paws. Other than that, I have no complaints with the mouse at all. I actually love the mouse, just wish it was bigger.

16. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

On this note: Geforce FX 5800. What a noisy, rubbish pos that was. Cost me over £300 IIRC.

17. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

My wife has that Cosmos Black Edition case as well. We BOTH hate it. Ginormous piece of ****.

18. Ivoryspike

Ivoryspike Air Cooled

Although my Antec 1200 is starting to irritate me because of its size and weight, it has served its purpose well. I also have the huge Asus 7950 DCU II Top (bargain @ £200) so maybe I'll have to stick with it for a while, not sure of smaller cases that accommodates such a thing.

Would like to get rid of my G15, it was a present from ages ago. I have been reading the mech keyboard thread and have been tempted to update for a few months now.

Apart from that I have been pleased with my hardware, good overclockers and reliable.

19. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

TJ07 case, it is a superb case but totally hasn't suited my needs. Bought a caselabs M8 and it is just a pleasure to work in and so customisable.
    Pretty much wish I had bought the M8 to start with.
    Oh and OCZ Vertex 3, unstable piece of junk and had nothing but problems with it. Wish I'd of opted for a Corsair SSD.

20. maestro0428

maestro0428 Master Modder

I regret buying two HD5830s for crossfire, cuz it only worked sometimes and when it did I could see some jittering, I forget the technical term for it. It also would not overclock at all. Happened with my 9800gx2 too, same jittering. Sold them all and now I have an HD7850 which I am very happy with. I strongly suggest you try SLI or XFire before you buy as some people can see the problems and some people cannot. Single card for me from now on.