1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases ITX Case Design Idea

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sammyMaX, 10 Jul 2012.

1. sammyMaX

sammyMaX What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, I've been reading this site for a while but I just decided to get an account :D

Anyways, I have an idea for an ITX case! (a gaming, performance orientated one)
    Diagram:
    [​IMG]

So I came up with it because I was looking around at other cases, trying to pick one for a gaming ITX build, but they were either too big, didn't have good cooling, or both. So in my design, the mobo is horizontal, and the hard drives are mounted with the PSU below the motherboard. The case should be able to handle really tall CPU heatsinks as well. The only problems with it are that it can't fit many drives, but I personally don't need many.

I added up some numbers, and I got 9.5"x10"x14" (WxHxD), which is similar to the Lian-Li PC-Q08, but this design would be able to accommodate some serious air cooling (by my estimates, even an NH-D14) or a large radiator.

What do you guys think of the design? Is it already in use somewhere?
    BTW, I'm not going to build this. I don't have modding skills, or the tools to do so.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

This would be prohibitively wide though. It's basically a desktop computer except taller in this case.

3. sammyMaX

What do you mean by wide? Like the way the GPU goes or the dimension that's not shown in the diagram (depth)?

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

A couple questions and considerations which you may have already thought about and just didn't mention:
    -It's not exactly the most interesting part of case design, but be sure to keep in mind how this would all actually be put together. There must be some sort of mounting plate for the motherboard and that would have to be secured somehow. The drives are already shown in a vague cage, but it would be hard to get to the mounting screws on the PSU side, would they be using some sort of removable cage/caddy system? And of course, there'd have to be some sort of frame around the whole thing for side panels to be attached to. This is important in design not just for thinking about making it, but also for size measurements as it all adds to the size.
    -mITX motherboards are small, make sure such a large cooler won't conflict with the PCIe slot.
    -Does your width measurement take into account a double slot GPU sticking out farther than the motherboard? I also assume that the design would incorporate mesh in the side panel for the GPU to draw air from.
    -On the topic of mesh, you'd probably need a lot of it. Your GPU and PSU vent their own air, but the rest will be left to exit the case by its own means. The CPU cooler will help push air towards the back and the large front fan will help create positive pressure in the case but you'd still have to worry about dead spots where heat might build up. The drive bay in particular might be a problem.

You might want to download and practice with Google Sketch Up, it makes it a lot easier to design things in a 3D setting and really see what you're making.

5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

6. sammyMaX

Not exactly, mine would be able to fit a standard PSU and larger CPU heatsinks, but it would be larger in general. The biggest difference is that my design has the PSU under the motherboard.

Sloth: good point about letting hot air out, I guess it would be especially be of a problem for the hard drive area. I'm thinking a vent could be placed in the back next to the io panel. I guess this case would be a nightmare to build in to, with all the tigt spaces.:eeek:

I don't really know why you're saying about a frame, it wouldn't hard to have a frame, right?

7. exiled

exiled What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Would this work?

Bitfenix Prodigy

8. doyll

doyll Minimodder

I would use 140mm fans. ITX motherboard is 170mm.
    I would make case with extra back vent on left of GPU looking back. (to exhaust GPU heat better.
    I would make back vent 140mm as well.
    Set HDDs on edge with a bottom fan to cool them.

9. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

That drawing basically is a prodigy

10. xbournex

xbournex BitFenix PR/Forum Manager

That sketch-up looks awfully familiar... :eyebrow:

I think Prodigy will come as close as it gets to the sketch up.

11. FifteeeCal

FifteeeCal What's a Dremel?

Yeah that's basically a Prodigy apart from the Prodigy can only fit 2x120 rads at the top, not 2x140.

12. shah

shah Minimodder

I was thinking of a similar case with 200*200*300 mm (W*H*L) with a 120/140mm fan at the front. Slim DVD drive and 2 HDDs. I am still thinking through the design.

13. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Shah, where in layout is PSU? 200x300x300mm maybe?

14. shah

shah Minimodder

doyll you are right!

The PSU will be at the bottom then the Mobo tray. The GPU will need about 150mm max. PSU is 86mm high. So total height 150+86 = 236 ~250mm. Use 3mm alu sheets.

So I guess a bit more thinking is needed! :D

15. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

Bitfenix Prodigy (The killer only 1 pci slot should have been 2)...

16. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Make sure you allow enough for motherboard stand-offs. ;)

17. shah

shah Minimodder

Yes got a mobo tray from a case! so just need to make it the right size (ITX). I was looking at Shuttle cases I might pick one up this weekend and see what I can do with that. The only problem with shuttle is that it cannot house a normal PSU.

18. doyll

doyll Minimodder

I suggest making the motherboard area big (high) enough for 140mm rear exhaust fan... so approx 200mm + 100mm (86mm PSU) = 300mm with 50mm feet for good airflow to bottom fans

Might need more than 300mm case depth too.
    PSU = 160mm + 40mm (cables)
    5.25" bay = 150mm + 200mm (PSU) + 40mm (fan) = 390mm
    5.25" on edge = 40mm + 2x20mm (airflow) + 25mm (hdd) +20mm + 15MM (SSD) + 20mm = 160mm

200mm + 160mm = 360mm deep.

Maybe put optical drive at top front instead of in bottom?

19. shah

shah Minimodder

Fair points there. I was hoping to put one fan at the front which could also house a H50. The PSU fan will get fresh air from the bottom and exhust it out at the back. The GPU will have the vents on the side and back. For the HDDs there could be a fan on one side of the case etc.

I will not be using a normal optical drive as in the last few years I have only used it a few times so I think that is a waste of space. I might put in a slim drive which is not going to take that much space.

I will be getting a fully modular psu.. braid the wires!!! :worried: and cut them to exact lengths :worried:

This weekend I will draw up something :D

20. doyll

doyll Minimodder

How about an external optical drive; usb or eSata.
    Modular PSU will take as much and possible more room for cables to make 90* turn. But I do agree about using Modular.
    I would use air instead of H50. Quieter, more dependable, and can not leak.... and airflow need is same either way.
    GPU side intake matched to CPU fan is good, but not quiet.
    Bottom up intake fan air through HDD/SSD and front intake would move all the air you need for both GPU and CPU cooling.

Draw it up now. I'm not a patient kind of person :D