1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks No numpad on my laptop but need one for my mouse.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Smellyhead, 18 Jul 2012.

1. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Hey,

So I got a Logitech G600 and I've been using the settings so it uses the numpad keys for the side buttons. Now this worked fine on my PC since I have a numpad but my laptop doesn't have one, I have a Dell XPS 15 (L502x model), so whn I load up WoW the action bars so numpad 1 etc but they don't work when I press the mouse button obviously which makes it impossible to play.

Is there anyway I can get a virtual numpad so that it will on my laptop aswell?

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

It shouldn't matter if the laptop has a numberpad or not. Windows still assumes there's a numberpad there, as it's just "Generic HID keyboard" with most laptops. Check the mouse software settings to see if you've actually got it setup the same, and ensure that it's working.

In theory; if you pull up the virtual keyboard, turn num-lock on there, and then press the mouse-buttons over an open notepad document; it should display it as if you're hitting keys on the numberpad, if the mouse is really setup as you say. If that Doesn't work; Go to the drivers for the G600 and have a look around.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

If all else fails then you could go for something like one of these

4. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Thanks for the replies. I've been told by another user that I should be able to copy my profile from my pc to my laptop and it will then work without the numpad been present on the laptop.

Going to try that once I'm home. Would buying a USB numpad mean I would need to have it plugged in all the time or only to configure?

5. .//TuNdRa

You don't even need a USB numberpad. Go to Start, All programs, Accessories, Ease of Access, on-screen keyboard.

Voila. You have an numberpad. It's on screen, but the software shouldn't care if it's just looking for the keypresses from any device.

hamza_tm likes this.
  6. GeorgeK

When I do that I don't get a numberpad... Could it be because I have a TenKeyLess keyboard without a numberpad (or numberlock button for that matter)

7. .//TuNdRa

On the keyboard, hit options "Turn on numeric pad"

Simples!

8. mecha.

mecha. Newbie

I had a similer problem when i use to play WoW, i just had two different profiles set up, on my PC the mouse would be configured to use the numpad, and on my laptop, the mouse would use the F Keys. Its a pretty simple fix, if you fancied giving it a go.

9. GeorgeK

Ah - good work :thumb:

10. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Look closely at the keyboard should have numpad numbers on the right hand in blue hold Fn + the blue number you wish to use. If not in blue they might be on the "front edge" of the key.Guide