1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Do lots of people still play Red Orchestra 2?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Tripwires, 7 Jul 2012.

1. Tripwires

Tripwires What's a Dremel?

Really want to get it, if it's in the Steam sale, or if not, either way.

I love the slower paced more tactical / long range shooters,

But how many people still play it? Would be mega annoying to only have a small handful of decent servers, as I have no interest in the single player of this particular game.

I tried playing Arma 2 online but it's a ballache and Iron Front CTD every half an hour.

Im in the UK btw.

:thumb:

2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I still have a guest pass you can have. Just friend me on Steam if you want it. My steam profile is in my sig at the bottom of this post.

3. Tripwires

I will do this within the next 10 mins. You sir, are a gentleman!:thumb:

Edit: Please excuse my adolescent Steam name, I was about 16 when I created the account:duh:

4. Tripwires

Thanks to SMIFFYDUDE I have been able to demo RO2 so I thought I'd report back here in case anyone viewed this thread and had the same question.

In short, yes, it is very easy to find a good server.

Now to the game.

+ Looks great
    + Breath of fresh air compared to run and gun games like BF3 and COD (especially COD)
    + Great sound design
    + Great atmosphere

- Very frustrating 'Prone' system. The game blocks you from going prone very often, with a message "Cannot go prone here" which is really pretty bad for a modern game. It often results in death!
    -I found the cover system pretty useless as well, things you might think you can take cover behind, you can't
    -Certainly not a game for everyone. It is very much a 'run 5m and get shot by someone you didn't even see' type game. Although some will love this as it requires deeper tactics to survive. For e.g, you can NEVER tackle snipers head on, you have to flank them by going through buildings as cover etc and get close to them, or they will pwn you every time.

I appreciate the game isn't new and most people will have already made their minds up about it but just thought I'd give my impressions in case anyone was thinking about picking it up in the Steam summer sale. It's £14.99 at present, so still pretty cheap. I'd say its worth that if you like tactical shooters.

5. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

It's actually quite fitting considering the devs are called Tripwire interactive

Call of duty has the same thing. The message means that you are too close to an object behind you for you to go prone. I think this is to stop legs from clipping through objects. Games like BF3 don't have it but if you prone in the corner of a building then you can probably get your legs shot since they would be clipping through.

6. Tripwires

Haha my steam name is not Tripwires actually but something really bad derived from my first hotmail account @ age 15-16 :p

'Tripwires' refers to my band not Tripwire interactive (band not named after Tripwire interactive either :p) but yeah it is fitting :)

COD does it? haha that just shows how long I haven't played any of those games for.

I do like RO2 though, will hopefully pick it up in the Steam Summer sale. Kindof had a bit of a feeling of dissapointment earlier when I was pwning on a server then realised.....most of my kills were AI bots :duh::D

7. Bob Berkowitz

Bob Berkowitz What's a Dremel?

I personally play DoD Game, but Red orchestra is my favorite. It's very harder to play!

8. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

9. Tripwires

10. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately there's only a handful of servers now but if you look on Game-Tracker they're full to the brim :)

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

The original was fantastic. How does RO2 compare? Dumbed down I take it?

12. SMIFFYDUDE

I don't think RO2 is dumbed down, but the maps just don't make me want to play it as much as I did the original.

The game was released unfinished and to be honest although the bugs seem to have been fixed it is still an incomplete game. It's by no means a bad game, actually whats there is pretty good but there needs to be more tanks and more varied maps before I start playing it any more than just an hour here or there.

I would have been more than happy if RO2 had just been a technical upgrade of RO1.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2012
  13. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

I have it. Just haven't played it yet.

14. Tripwires

Yea the maps are kinda samey. Tanks seem pretty inconsequential to infantry to me too, far more worried about snipers.

However I have had a few 'wow' moments with it on a good UK server with 64 players. Sniping in this game is also the most satisfying of any game I think, I love the design of the scope, although not exactly realistic it looks great.

15. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Played the Beta ad shortly after release - it had a big beginning population but the lack of bug fixes killed it pretty fast, very few playing now - Original is still better :p

16. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I feel this thread needs a slight bump, given that the game is in the daily sale today :D

17. SMIFFYDUDE

Buy the game. The developers are good guys and if the first game is anything to go by they will continue to update and create new free content for RO2 for a fair few years to come.

18. Tripwires

Bought it on the daily sale, what I was waiting for! It is well worth £3.74! however if anyone is not convinced, or misses the daily deal, I have some guest passes going - PM me.

19. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

It's mostly multiplayer, isn't it? I'm not much into online games these days. Getting too old... :)

20. Tripwires

Yes most people don't even bother with the single player.

Its very different to pretty much every other game on multiplayer though, you will die a lot, if you don't move from cover to cover you're a dead man.

But it has a great unique flavour, it makes you feel part of a team even if you don't have a microphone.

It just feels right, if you run into the open you WILL get sniped. Maybe a bit unbalanced, but it feels very real for it, and even if you get no kills the experience of it is still really good!