1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Bit-tech League of Legends thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Djayness, 19 Jan 2011.

1. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

LoL is one of the best E-Sports out there at the moment, the proof of that came when Korea adopted it as well! What other games out there are able to draw the crowds that LoL has? How many games are offering $5million prize pots? How many games have tournaments where teams travel thousands of miles to attend anymore? SC is still up there as is SC2, but CS is dead, CSS is dead. CoD has never been a great e-sport, I am glad that Riot have taken it on themselves to make the e-sports realm interesting again!

I spend the same amount of time watching streams from Snoopeh, Froggen, Wickd (ok I am a CLG.eu fan) as I spend playing LoL. Watching the pros play teaches you so much about what you should be doing and they adapt to new meta's and teach you them faster then if you were playing on your own or even in a team!

2. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Has anyone partaken in any ARAM on proving grounds?

Did some last weekend with some friends, was actually hilarious. Ranged have a distinct advantage as there is a lot of poking involved before a proper cluster f*ck initiate.

Amazing fun.

3. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Tanks are useless until late game, melee dps normally get wrecked. Anything ranged is over-powered and its super imbalanced. It's still fun!

Only issue I have with it is people know which champions they have before the game starts, so you get a lot of queue dodgers. I believe if you only got your hero once you entered the game, more people would play, though than you can't select your runes so it would never happen.

4. Ljs

Ljs Modder

This is true, never thought of that really. Had a couple of queue dodgers but I didn't really associate it with that being the reason as that kind of goes against the ethos of ARAM!

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Speaking of poking:
    I realised yesterday that there is a massive difference between Solo and Premade at one particular point in the game:

That moment before a teamfight (most often in mid), where both teams stand there, running small bits to-and-fro to avoid skillshots.
    In solo queues, that bit plays like this:
    We can't win this teamfight, and we're lacking focus, so let's just stand here and hope they screw up. Then someone from your team (preferably your CC) decides "Hmmm... the jungle si awesome this time of day" and missions off. Then the squishy rushes in and the teamfight breaks out. Squishy Carry gets ganked like a bug, the rest of the fight is lost because it's 3v5. Then the CC goes "OMG! My team needs help" and rushes into a fight that's unwinnable waaaay too late (i.e. when the tank is running, flashing and ghosting to try and escape).

IN premades, this phase can stretch out so long that Ez has blasted his ulti at the other team twice. There's some poking with skillshots, and general cooling down of skills, before someone decides to make a mistake and pull aggro.

Either way, my thought is that more often than not the team with the initiative wins. That part of the game is ALWAYS irritating, and while there is merrit in skillshots hitting the other team before the fight, it's ultimately a fight that noone will win on their own.

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I think something that would help in ARAM would be not being able to see the enemy team. I don't think I've raged from an ARAM queue simply because it goes against the nature or ARAM. However since normally someone on the other team always seems to, I cant help but feel I'm always at a natural disadvantage

7. Kasowaree

Kasowaree What's a Dremel?

I've already said why I think LoL is a horrible E-Sport.

And I keep playing LoL because I find it fun. I think it's badly balanced and filled with insane design choices by Riot but a good bit of mindless fun.

8. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

No worries about the games!

It wasn't really you, as you said, you will get matched with more pre-mades and it takes time for people to understand what team mates are doing. It takes a lot of playing together to know when your team mate is just harassing, diving or simply helping you get away (and some form of Voice Comm always helps).

You're sort of correct.

At higher levels/ELO it's less about simply going in an initiating as players are more able to counter-initiate and focus the correct targets or properly disengage.

It's definitely more about catching people off-guard and/or poking until someone is out of place (oh, their AD Carry came slightly too close to the frontline, we can pounce on them).

There are obviously exceptions to this, for example, that team we faced yesterday which consisted of Alistar and Malphite with Brand and Ezreal. The former two can effectively initiate and Tank (as well as deal) quite a bit of damage whilst the latter two can stay at a safe distance to kite and poke. Our downfall there was that we lacked a Tanky DPS champion that usually goes Top (Irelia, Renekton etc.) who can bypass their line and go straight for the squishies and disrupt them enough for us to take down Ali/Malph in the mean time.

---

Apologies if i've actually missed that then.

The last time i remember you talking about LoL as an E-Sport you simply stated that it was due to the "apparent" lack of any metas and/or differentiation in skills.

Both of which i, and another poster addressed to which you brushed off my simply saying we were right.

Now, taking that comment seriously, it means you've still yet to come back with a reason as to why LoL is a horrible e-sport.

And if i were to take that comment like the "i give up" comment as it implied, then without you further elaborating on what you said, it just makes your reason moot, and as such, you still haven't given a valid reason as to why it's a terrible e-sport.

Which i find incredibly amusing since none of your other posts in this thread have ever attested to you finding the game fun.

In fact, most of it's been quite the opposite with critiques on practically every aspect of the game.

And then there was that time you uninstalled and were going to warn everyone away from the game because the game "fails entirely".

9. Kasowaree

Kasowaree What's a Dremel?

This is one the things I hate about messageboards. I spend 30 minutes staring at trying to explain my point only to give up and slam my head off the keyboard.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2012
  10. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Once again proving my point about your inability to justify anything you comment on.

Maybe the issues are less to do with the game, and more to do with your attitude?

11. Chris1554

Chris1554 What's a Dremel?

You hate that aspect of message boards? I didn't really want to be the one to tell you but it seems I'm going to have to. That has nothing to do with message boards and more to do with your apparent inability to express yourself in a civil and structured way.

12. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

ARAM Drinking is a hell of a lot of fun.

If you die as first blood: Finish your drink.
    Agree on two targets on the enemy team. If target 1 dies, everyone has a drink. If you kill target 2, you can nominate someone else to drink.
    Every time you die, you drink.

Did this for 4 or 5 games on the bounce before moving on to Tribes. Lots of laughter involved.

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

That sounds like EPIC fun, actually.
    But only if you're on skype or in the same room as the other players.

I am also planning a "pick on someone" Dominion game sometime int he not-too distant future, where the idea is to pick no target in a group, and kill that target as often as possible. Drinking might add to the fun there (and the mindlessness of it all - I think dominion or ARAM are the formats for this kinda rubbish).

I wanted to play more (and better) this weekend, but couldn't due to a frikken cold that's been with me for close-on a week now.
    As a consequence, the only moment I had in-game that was any good was when I was forced to play mid (Teemo mid? Normally pretty much an auto-fail). I come up against a Morgana (probably a sub-par one at that).
    Either way, she overextends, and I manage to catch and kill her.
    As she comes back, she immediately goes aggressive (this is around level 8 or so).
    MY meds-infused mind doesn't get what's going on until I hear the warning-ping and see the other team's warwick coming out of the jungle.
    So I run... like hell. I manage to shroom WW at the very edge of turret range, and pop off a blind. Then I run past my turret (just as Morgana misses her pool-thing), WW flashes after me, and ults on me. I manage to (with 140hp) kill WW, as the turret focusses on Morgana. Morgana runs, I W after her, hit ghost, two normal hits and a blind, and she dies.
    That made me want to post one of those "f*ckyeah" meme things... :p

14. Kylevdm

Me and my flatmates made smurf accounts and play drinking LoL on 3v3 all the time, we normally win as well...

We use the following rules, kill 2 fingers, death 1 finger, assist 1 finger. Now because 2 of us are pretty good at LoL now we normally dominate the first game or 2 then the alcohol hits you and you become shockingly bad, and eventually you are just drinking because you can...

I played a fair bit of Duo Queue this weekend, have not lost a game yet :) Me and my mate carried every game, we are talking about having between us being responsible for winning the fights 3/4 of the time. ELO was taken up by 130 or so, which is just as well after it got destroyed by the people on Solo Queue who have no idea how to play!

15. Xahl

Xahl Your mum's a Dremel

Sounds rather amusing; though I can imagine the performance going south in correlation with the amount of alcohol drunk.

Speaking of, this reminds me of the time I played Gragas mid, late night after drinking too much and it was the first time I'd played him. I fed is an understatement. :rolleyes:

16. Xahl

Xahl Your mum's a Dremel

Yes, delayed reaction times are a thing of devastation in a game like this lol..

So you've not lost a duo queue ranked game?? I'm assuming you both played integral roles then. I duo queue with Yslen and usually play bot lane but it never seems enough to counter the terrible play from the rest of the team (it's not always terrible). So this has just stopped us playing ranked as often; though we did win one the other day to start lifting us from ELO hell.

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Fortunately (for my team) I went positive in every single game this weekend. Even the one where I got raped by Hecarim 3 times in a row (first blood and then 2 more times), thanks mainly to a HORRIBLE Nasus being a dumbass in my lane (it was obvious, really. His player name was *playername*_friend, where *playername* was also playing in our team... obviously a levelled-up "guest" account).
    One time was my fault, simply because I was low on health, when the horseman came from behind my turret and rushed straight through me and killed me.

18. Kylevdm

Not in the last few days, I lost a few when in placement matches but at the moment no. I normally play jungle if he is top or mid, but we try to make sure if one of us has to play bot the other supports so we can communicate properly. Graves/ Blitz is OH SO BROKEN! I love jungling though, AD is fun with a decent support but when you have some mug playing support it is not fun at all!s

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Reading through more Zyra stuff, I am actually keen on trying to play her the moment she ships.
    http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/news/rise-thorns-designing-zyra

It sounds like Teemo's Mushrooms with Morgana mixed in for good measure.
    And really versatile... Though I'll likely bee to stupid to play her properly. :p

20. Xahl

Xahl Your mum's a Dremel

Ah yeah that would make sure you have majority control over the map; leaves bot to figure itself out, but you still have the freedom to move around and help. It goes similarly if I and my duo partner get positions other than bot.

Yes Blitz in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing just stomps the lane. We usually take Blitz and Ez, and the mobility of the Ez just guarantees finishing whatever Blitz starts. So much fun. And playing with a solo queue support is just hideous more often than not; Yslen refuses to play bot unless I'm supporting him x)