1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Arma 2: DayZ

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kingred, 24 Apr 2012.

1. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Spawn and deal with it, good!

2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I'd love to see the day when server hopping is gone. People might stop blocking doorways with wire if they knew it would only trap themselves. Of course it won't stop professional arseholes who join servers just to do that sort of thing.
    Home made camps could also be set up and not have the worry of people teleporting into them.

3. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

i will be about later tonight and possibly this afternoon, just updating the beta patch at the moment.

i've got a guy at Kabanino if anyone fancies raiding the NW airfield, or showing me where the campsite is ;)

4. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Most people would probably hate me for this but I only play with a friend of mine, and for us if you have a gun its shoot on site. We don't do it to piss people off, we do it more because we've had individuals approach us shouting "FRIENDLY!" than when they get close enough they kill us. We've also experienced a "friendly" follow us about spamming and shouting on the mic giving away our location so now anyone that has a weapon is shot on site. I've had some fun with the game, even if I've only put 7 or so hours into it. I like the added challenge and concept of an entire open world. Only issue I've really seen besides some of the players is when you log in, if someone is near you they can kill you before you have even spawned on your screen. I logged in, and when i finally had vision of my character he was unconscious while some other person just stood beside me. I think some sort of spawn immunity when you first log on would be fair. During said spawn immunity you shouldn't be able to shoot so that way people wouldn't abuse it either.

Also, having a car is wicked convenient. Being able to drive around makes going from town to town so easy, though you have the added risk of being an easily spotted target, and having to hide a vehicle when you log off.

5. adrock

i have to admit i haven't seen a player in ages, and i've stopped joining nearly empty servers, been to NW airfield and through Cherno.

Both my guys are now camped near where i think the camp is, if someone could direct me to it later that'd be awesome, i'm carrying a lot of medical supplies with each guy and could do with dumping some so i can go and get more guns. lots and lots of guns.

6. Fluidic

Fluidic What's a Dremel?

i'd love to show you though i can't get on the new mumble server..

7. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I had a friend go server hopping for items and meds, he'd go to low population servers, get a bunch of stuff, than drop it for me to carry so we'd have ammo, guns, blood, morphine, food, etc. I find server hopping to be a cheap way to get items but there isn't much that can be done at this point in time. I'd love for servers to hold more people and store data locally so every new server you start fresh instead of where you last left off on a previous server.

8. adrock

do you get an error of any kind?

I'm sure i've got a mumble server around here somewhere, i'll check the spare room and see if you can get on that one?

I've stuck one on 78.129.180.143, default port. it's got no config but it should work.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2012
  9. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

Last edited: 25 Jul 2012
  10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Hi guys,

I've bought Arma II & OA to play DayZ, but can anybody recommend the best way to get DayZ installed, Mumble etc? I also assume there's a BitTech get together?

11. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Welcome fresh meat!

Download and install Sixupdater. This will install Dayz for you and keep it up to date.
    We all hop on our mumble server in the evenings. Mumble server is 81.19.212.152 and port 2021.
    Just connect and hop into our Dayz channel and introduce yourself. If we are playing as a squad, it helps to know eachothers voices so that we know who and where you are in relation to us. Accidents happen and people get shot.

12. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

First thing I thought of at that:

"It's all smiles and laughing until someone breaks a leg."

Funny thing is, that can actually happen! :D

13. adrock

well, my mate's been having a tough time since he started playing so i'm playing as his guy this afternoon. managed to get him a good bunch of supplies but only on 2229 blood and i can't find any food for the life of me, nor matches. just got a compass mind so i should be able to work out where i am now.

14. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Ha yes they do! First time I played adrock shot stickeh in house in cherno! He didn't mean it...well I don't think he did. So they certainly do happen!

15. adrock

I definitely didn't mean it damnit. i was shooting the zombies as they came through the door from the top of the staircase and stickeh walked backwards up the stairs into my line of fire. it was only one shot with a makarov, but it was into the back of his head at pretty close range :(

I haven't accidentally killed anyone since.

16. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

I've killed TSB by accident a few times. It was all server related though. The first time I had a makarov and he was kneeling in front of me (no not like that) and I alt-tabbed back into the game and the gun fired. The second time was at our camp and I drove the jeep past the tent that he was restocking. I was literally 3 metres from the tent and the jeep "drove over him". Stupid glitches.

17. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Haha I know you didn't! But not going to lie he had barely hit the deck and I was ripping his backpack and ammo off him!

18. adrock

if anyone's around solnichniy, a guy just rushed me and tried to shoot me but i axed him to stop.

down to 2500k blood and got a broken leg, guy had nothing but painkillers on him so i could use some help :(

19. wst

wst Minimodder

Beer should be in DayZ because you specifically could meet a survivor called MCA and re-enact Paul Revere almost word for word.

I'll see if I can get online tonight and come along and save you!

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Considering vehicles, tents, and items all stay when players are logged off it seems fairly nice having your character disappear at all! :hehe:

I've had the same thing happen, log in and instantly die. It's rough but after awhile I've come to take it as a non-issue. It just adds a new survival aspect of having to find a safe place to "stay" while you're logged out. I like to imagine that my character is laying on the ground sleeping where I log off at, it makes it feel more realistic.

This is definitely the truth. It just requires being responsible and cautious. Be reckless and you'll be shot/get your vehicle stolen by the next day.

For anyone who hasn't been lucky enough to ride one yet: bicycles are the best thing ever. Only seats one so no worry about allies holding you back. Doesn't hold anything so no worries about losing items. Doesn't need gas. It's repairable by getting off and back on again. You take no damage from crashing in it. It goes 80kph downhill and does fairly well off road. It's easy to hide with its small size. The only real flaw is being completely exposed!

Also ATVs are the devil's work.