1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Blacklight: Retribution

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mecha., 4 Jul 2012.

1. mecha.

mecha. Newbie

Hey just wanted to know if anyones had a go at this? Started playing it last night, and my lord, for a F2P game i was amazed!

If anyone doesnt know about this game, basically its a free to play, multiplayer only first person shooter set in a near-future (Deus Ex:HR ish) type world. Some of the features that are quite unique to this game are the gun customisation and hacking (secures points and opens doors).

If you have a spare minute or so, check it out, and i guarentee you will stay for longer.

Oh and btw....it has "Hardsuits!" (Battlemechs) :D

2. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

I played it last night and rather enjoyed it. I liked the free items for levelling up and it has some nice ideas such as the HRV which allows you to see through walls, locate opponents, team mates, and weapon depots.

The queue times where excessive for the EU server though (over 10mins). I ended up on the US server with only a minutes wait.

3. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Really? I've been playing it a fair bit recently and have always got straight on a server.

I am enjoying it but I've been having some serious performance issues. It looks to me like I have a memory leak. Not sure if this is just me or not.

I hear they have just released it on Steam? Any advantage to this version over the standard one?

4. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I downloaded the Steam version yesterday. I only managed to get on a server once in a couple of hours of trying so I will reserve judgement. The half hour or so I did get to play didn't knock my socks off though - it's quite nice to look at, a bit laggy (100ms ping on the server I did manage to join). I think the big selling point is customisation and I didn't really try any of that.

It's free though, so worth giving it a go - it might be your thing and you have lost nothing if it isn't!!

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I just started playing this yesterday too since some friends have adopted it as their new group game. Seems like fun, very much like COD, but fun enough. Unfortunately the server situation is dire. It seems like after 5 pm getting connected to a server is very tough. At least the EU server must be running at 100% because the thing is flakey as hell. It's a shame they can't add another EU server or two, but I suppose it's F2P and a small company behind it. All can add me, same handle as here.

6. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Before it went on Steam, there were no connection issues.

Really they could add another server because the publisher is Perfect World Entertainment, who do many an F2P/Item Mall/Pay to win MMO.

I am surprised that they took it to PWE actually. PWE only have experience with MMOs thus far.

I would've preferred self-publishing and then selling it straight on Steam, with a dedicated server tool, and selling the actual game instead of this Item Mall crap. They could then provide an official server and if that gets slammed then individuals can setup their own.

(I know nothing about getting a game published, so am probably talking ****.)

7. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Downloaded it today and haven't stopped playing for the last two hours. I'm surprised by how good it is, I was expecting something similar to tribes but it's completely different. I really recommend it, best FPS I've played in ages.

What do you guys mean by server queues? Theres a long list of servers which you can sort by game mode, no. of players, ping etc. You just have to click one and you'll get put straight in, I've not had to wait to be put into a game aside from the 30 second intermission between matches. (I believe I'm on the US servers though, I don't remember it asking which server I'd like).

Can see myself putting a whole load of hours into this :)

8. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

I play it and think its brilliant.

9. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I find it incredibly laggy. There is a noticeable pause and some rubber-banding when ever you have an enemy in sight. It would probably be a bit of fun otherwise - something to kill half an hour with.

10. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Are you on the EU server? (assuming you're in europe btw). What's the ping like of players in the server? I mostly see people with between 40 & 80ms and don't suffer any noticeable lag.

11. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Yeah, I was playing on the EU server. The pings don't look too bad, but I can't say I had a really good look at them. Maybe it was just a rogue player with high ping - I'll give it another go in a day or two!

12. Darkfibre314

Darkfibre314 What's a Dremel?

Currently downloading on steam, looking forward to this.

13. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Steam says I've had 4 hours on this now a dozen matches. The wall hack feature is very interesting, I think it rewards excellent map knowledge, and communication big time. I'd like to play with an entire team communicating BF/DayZ style. I can imagine some interesting strategies that would be nice to try.

Although this is only me second MP FPS, I'd relate it to Close Quarters BF on better maps.

Don't know about the price of everything though, at a guess it would cost over a hundred quid buy everything permanently.

JamJester

14. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

raptr have promotion codes for a very nice helmet and the heavy pistol, well worth getting.

15. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Check this out:

16. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

This game has changed alot recently. Gunplay is totally different, with an emphasis on skill (recoil control) instead of placing faith into the gods of spread. I really like the change, and damn it, I need someone to play it with.

17. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

What's happened since any of yous lot have been active

18. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Annnnnd there is more

19. mecha.

mecha. Newbie

Really wanna come back and play this, been a long time. But End Game is just around the corner :(

20. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I play both, so I know that. What bothers me about BL:R is leveling, and the best way to do that now is with Onslaught-Hard (PvE mode, like CoD zombie Horde thing). I know all about it and don't need cheep tricks to get it done, so if you need a buddy, I've done it several times.