1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware BitFenix Shinobi XL review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 26 Jul 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

This is a shame, I thought it was a reasonably good looking case. Definitely one for a front panel mod :dremel:

3. xMathiasD

xMathiasD What's a Dremel?

neat feature with that usb power thingy!

4. Tomrh99

Tomrh99 What's a Dremel?

I think 56% was a bit harsh, considering the high feature set, build quality and CPU cooling performance, just my opinion however.

5. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Error in graphs

Edit: I'm retarded and can't read a simple graph.

Last edited: 26 Jul 2012
  6. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Re: features, there's no fan controller, or front dust filter, and the front's lack of airflow means that fan mounts there are largely redundant. The triple rad mount in the roof in nice, but its still going to have limited airflow due to issues elsewhere.

Build quality is mentioned re: drive bay mounting rails, which are very flimsy. The design score also takes into account design issues with the chassis, as noted above.

Performance: The cooling score is an amalgamation of CPU and GPU cooling scores and is in line with competing case's results.

7. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

The two graphs use the same data set, arranged first by CPU delta T and then GPU delta T. The brighter bar indicating the Shinobi XL is clearly labelled and runs a CPU delta T of 49°C and a GPU delta T of 51°C, as referred to in the text.

8. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

was thinking that myself. Strange to see that this hasn't been adopted on many other cases. IMO its a great little feature/idea, shame the performance of the case turned out so poor. wonder by how much it would increase charge rates of things?

9. lexloofah

lexloofah What's a Dremel?

just buy a decent case like the silverstone FT-02 and it will last out your hardware long before your grafix card gets replaced by the next gen

10. xbournex

xbournex BitFenix PR/Forum Manager

Baz,

Triple rad mount on roof, and front (or 240 on the bottom).
    And there fan filters on the front.

11. Toasted Rofls

Toasted Rofls What's a Dremel?

If this thing was cheaper, I'd for sure be less reserved about it, however, at the $160 US retail it is currently at, it competes with some really impressive full towers. If you wanted to get a quiet case, you can get the Jumbo Define R3 ( I know that isn't the real name but Jumbo sounds way cooler), and if you wanted obscene cooling Cooler Master is more then willing to sell you one of their HAF cases, which is basically designed to hold as many fans they can fit into a standard sized full tower. If you want something in the middle of these two extremes as well, you could easily find it I bet.

I think Bitfenix should focus on budget cases and midrange cases with innovative features. Hanging with the big boys up in the higher end bracket requires higher end fit, finish, features, and performance, and design, something this case seems to be lacking. I want to see a $50 case from them that's designed to directly take on the Antec Gaming One Series and some lower cost microATX gaming cases, like maybe a Raider XS?

On the plus side, even though almost no motherboards support it as of now, the 4 USB3 front panel connectors are a feature I will never use but strangely want. I want to see USB 3 on every case produced from this point on, even the budget ones. If your case cost $50 or more US dollars, then I want to see those blue ports. With the increase in USB 3 front panel support on motherboards, even cheaper ones, it is going to stop being a "nice feature" and move onto a "why does this case not have this?" type of feature.

Basically, the more USB 3 support, the better.

12. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Ah, so it does, my mistake.

Still not a great case though IMO, poor airflow as standard is a toughy to overcome, even if you strap a big radiator into it.

13. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Additionally, the BitFenix Prodigy? LOADS BETTER. Review soon!

Tags: Add Tags