1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Data program file help please :)

Discussion in 'Software' started by gaz_360, 26 Jul 2012.

1. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Hey everyone.

I must admit I’m a bit out of my depth with this one, not something I’ve done a great deal of, however as it's for a family member I said I’d give it a go.

To cut a rather long story short, my uncle had been sent some files via e-mail, with a set of instructions on how the then go about installing the program from the files sent, the instructions were as follows:

1) Download and unzip both files (two folders - DISK 1 and DISK 2)
    2) Copy all data from DISK 1 onto a blank CD, and also do the same for DISK 2 on a separate CD.
    3)Put DISK 1 into your drive and allow it to install the files, then when prompted insert DISK 2.

This is the bit that got me rather puzzled, as there is no mention of any formats, file extensions etc, that the CD should be saved as, in order for the files to open up as an installation disc, as if it were brought new. I tried it any way, and as I figured, all it did was open up the files on the disc to be viewed (or not in this case, as all of the files cannot be opened via any programs I have). So this has made things a bit challenging to say the least.

I am told that the program that they are trying to install a copy of, is an extremely old data base program, that they have files to go into, the files are there waiting, however this program cannot be installed properly.

I would be very very very appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction on this one, I’ve tried a couple of other things such as creating an ISO, booting from USB etc, and unfortunately I’m not getting any luck.

If it helps, here are the names of the files, along with their extensions:

DISK 1 Folder:

_INST32I (EX_File)
    _SETUP (LIB File)
    _SETUP.1 (1 File)
    _SETUP.DLL (Setup Launcher Resource) --- This is the only file that has a thumbnail with two cogs interlocking, the other thumbnails are the default windows 'cannot read' picture.
    DISK1.ID (ID File)
    SETUP (Configuration File) ---Note pad file.
    SETUP.ISS (ISS File)
    SETUP.PKG (PKG File)

DISK 2 Folder:

_SETUP.2 (2 File)
    DISK2.ID (ID File)

That’s about it, again if any one can point me in the right direction on this one it would be extremely helpful, I’m not sure where to go from here lol

Thanks

Gaz

2. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

A CD is made 'installable' through the use of an autorun file, which usually executes an executable (.exe). From those file lists you gave, I see no autorun or .exe, which makes me think this is an application so old that it is not even designed for Windows, but DOS or something else.

gaz_360 likes this.
  3. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Sounds like you're maybe missing an installer .exe to unpack archives (My guess would be _SETUP.1 and _SETUP.2)

It'd maybe be helpful to know the name of the app you're trying to install so you can find more info on it.

gaz_360 likes this.
  4. digitaldunc

That's what I thought initially but aren't DLLs a Windows centric resource?

5. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Thanks for your quick replies guys.

The program is going to be relatively old, talking possibly any time between 93-98, so its quite possible it could of been pre-windows.

The only mention in relation to the program used to create it is something called 'Paradox', unsure if that’s the correct spelling, however I don't think that will help, as the actual program was user created, and not mass produced in any way :S

Ill send a message back to the chap who sent over the files originally, and see if he has any other files available.

Thanks again for your help :) + rep

6. digitaldunc

This may also help.

Not being particularly familiar with apple kit I didn't spot it initially, but it may be you're working with an apple installer.

7. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Thanks for that, it's certainly a question i'll ask, as im unsure which OS it was originally created in, and not having had much to do with Apple Operating Systems I'd have to have a play around with the files.

Hopefully it's just been a case of not all the files have been successfully sent through, however there is chance of the orignal install disc being found deep in who knows what lol, have to wait and see on that one :D

8. mike_dowler

mike_dowler What's a Dremel?

9. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

If this is the paradox program, a client in work uses it in a dos box as its that old, hope it helps and good luck!

Well the client runs it in an emulator on an XP machine if thats of any use

Last edited: 1 Aug 2012