1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other My Little Pony, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by supermonkey, 26 Jul 2012.

1. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

So I had an idea the other day. I was watching My Little Pony My daughter was watching My Little Pony, and I was thinking about how the primary characters are known colloquially as the "Mane Six." Naturally, being gifted with an imagination that is just devious enough, I pondered the idea of My Little Ponies in other iconic numbers. Four Ponies of the Apocalypse. Seven Deadly Ponies. The Nine Ponies that rode forth from Minas Morgul to thwart the Fellowship of the Ponies.

So here's a test I did. I'm combining this was some experimentation in vector art. It's unfamiliar territory for me, so I'm learning a few things as I go. I drew this the traditional way (pencil and paper), scanned it, then created the vectors over the base drawing.

Of course I started with the Seven Deadly Ponies, and of course I started with Lust. As one of my close friends says, "There's something wrong with you."

[​IMG]

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Awesome idea. :D

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

You scare me.

(In a good way).

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Stop looking at me like that, pony!

:worried:

5. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

How has this not been done before!

Am i OK to share this on the internets at large? Are you going to be posting the other ones to this thread?

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

it has

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Needs boobs.

:eyebrow:

.... what? It does!

8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Inb4 4chan.

This could be interesting...

9. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I'm sure others have done similar things - it is the internet after all. Feel free to share, and yes, I'll be posting the others as I go. I've got a couple of ideas already.

10. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

haha, love it!

11. marcamp3463

marcamp3463 What's a Dremel?

You have an awesome imagination. It's so cute and lovely.

12. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Supermonkey, what size are you?

[​IMG]

13. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'll take a Pinkie Pie in a XL ^____^

14. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

If I wasn't so sure that I'd be lynched in the street, I'd totally wear a Fluttershy jacket. A man can dream...

Life's been busy recently, but here's an update just to show that this project isn't totally dead. I give you Greed:

[​IMG]

15. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Why have I only just found this?! Awesome work; love the idea behind it!

Couple things bug me though: you seem to be drawing very heavily from the Fleur de Lis archetype (neck, pose, face), but yet the barrel (stomach) area is entirely stylistically different, seemingly inspired by the generic rabble in the show are. Makes it a bit odd when stacked next to the already established archetypes. Maybe shorten the neck a bit? And in the second picture, greed, the plot looks... plump? :p (hey, all the power to ya if that's what you like)

No matter the minor quibbles I have, what you've done is still far better than what i could ever hope to do, and I still appreciate them for what they are. So feel perfectly free to ignore these rantings, as there will be no hard feelings. Love and tolerance and all that.

16. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Thanks for the comments. I agree that the ponies I tend to draw are stylistically different than the official pony form. Mostly this is due to my own interpretations. To be honest I never knew that the there was such a thing as a "Fleur de Lis archetype" for drawing ponies; I learn something new every day! I know that I've seen all shapes and forms from fans online, and I guess different aspects of different styles appealed to me. Really though, this whole thing was born from me drawing little sketches while watching the show with my daughter - and my somewhat warped imagination taking over. After looking back at the official ponies, I refined my style a bit to be recognizable as a My Little Pony, but still noticeably different. Since you're more clued into the fanart milieu, I'm not surprised you noticed the details. One of the defining characteristics of my artistic career is the way in which I adapt different styles to suit my taste. I see things that appeal to me, and I inevitably incorporate them into my work. In this case, a longer neck lends itself to easier - and more emotive - posing.

With respect to Greed's plot, the size may just be an illusion from the way she's sitting on the horde, or the angle she's at, or it may just be a bit of a mistake. I think it works, though. I've always thought of Greed and Gluttony as sister sins - one driving (or perhaps leading to) the other. In that interpretation, it's not inconceivable for Greed to be a bit - erm - bigger.

Wait, did we just have an artistic discussion about ponies?

Life, other project commitments, and the holidays have all had their toll, but I still intend to finish this. Gluttony is up next, and I've been mulling some ideas for her. Plus I got some new sketchbooks for Christmas and the pages need filling.

I do appreciate the feedback. :)

17. Malvolio

Malvolio .

By a Fleur de Lis architype, this is what I'm referring to (it's a fannon name for this one-shot character in the show). She has a stylistically different appearance to the majority of the characters depicted in the show, and seems to line up best with what you are doing.

It's good to hear that you're continuing this series though! Ever thought about doing one in a 16x9 wallpaper format?