1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable HTC one x or samsung s III

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adam_bagpuss, 25 Jun 2012.

1. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

think im going to go into the store and try both units out

im really tore between them and i get the same deals on either phone so its purely down to the tech at this point

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I've been with o2 for many moons but recently switched to 3 as I was getting fed up with no 3g wherever I am. I went from an iPhone4 to a HTC OneX for £35/month, free phone, all you can eat etc.. The phone itself had to be at least as quick as an iPhone4, which it is. The screen is immense and so nice to view. It's very responsive. I may be paying a visit to the 3 shop though as mine suffers from a flickering screen now and again and, despite me testing with a 3 3g dongle and attaining full H speeds , the phone's signal isn't as strong and often drops off. Apparently initial batches were a bit hit and miss and I think mine was one of them.

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Teel is quite correct, rooting any phone voids warranty. It is of course quite possible to return it to a completely "unrooted" state...

Shirty likes this.
  4. rollo

rollo Modder

takes all of 10mins to route it back

similar to iphone jailbreak

you can remove it and send it back

ive done this personally before with no issues at all.

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Maybe you should have added that then, So I FTFY

Last edited: 26 Jun 2012
  6. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

I went with the S3 and absolutely love it. I think the build quality of the HTC might be slightly better and some of the HTC software is better. The burst shot on the S3 camera is awesome though, plus it's a bit faster and the battery is much better which is a real dealbreaker for me. My vote is s3 but they're both great phones, depends what matters more to you

7. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

To all the One X people out there, I heard that HTC released some kind of patch/update/firmware to increase battery usage. Is this true? How long does the battery last now?

To all the Samsung S3 users, I've heard rumors of the phone getting pretty hot. Any confirmations if yours also has this problem?

I just entered into this now and I'm leaning towards the S3, but the above two questions are hovering in my head.

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Recently bagged a One X.

Great phone only thing I hate about it is the bat life is tripe. Like woeful.

Will see how I get on with it, have dropped screen brightness down to lowest to see how that helps the next day.

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

cany say i noticed my s3 getting hot ?

is that from using the GPS as my HTC desire used to get very hot when you sat nav

10. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Can't confirm for the S3, but the One X gets alarmingly hot when i had it charging and was using the GPS, When i say alarmingly hot, i mean Battery Widget reading 53c for the Battery.

Battery on the One X isn't the best in the world, i've been into London with a mate who has an iPhone 4s, and that's lasted longer.

Personally, It's still the better phone.

Sam

11. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

According to GSMArena, S3 trumps the HTC on battery life as well as performance. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

And the S-AMOLED screen is something special

12. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'll be picking up an SIII as soon as my contract is up for renewal. Don't know if I'm gonna stick to Verizon though. They are now taking away unlimited data when current unlimited users upgrade.

13. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I have had the S3 for the past couple of weeks. I must say that yes, it can get hot, but I've only had it happen if I have been playing extensively for more than 15 minutes. In normal use it does not heat up at all. Oh, and the battery life is great. After a full day of use it hovers around the 60-70% mark depending on how much I have been using it.

14. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

To fix the drop off (seems to be a problem with the phone's 2G/3G switching and only seems to be a problem on 3), open the dialer and type *#*#4636#*#* then one of the options (can't quite remember which) and you can change the radio type. At the moment it's WCDMA preferred I believe and change it to say WCDMA only (if this is the wrong acronym, whichever is the one currently "preferred"). This works on my (brother's) One X and on a colleague of mine, both on 3. Don't get signal drop outs now.

Apophis54 and kenco_uk like this.
  15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

There is an app called Network that will do that for you, think setting it as suggested means you wont pick up the 2G Orange fallback ?

Apophis54 likes this.
  16. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

It won't, no, but then I've never had to fall back to 2G, so it depends on the area. It does mean improved holding of the 3G signal though.

17. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

If a microSD slot is required for a music collection, then it's really easy to set up a Google Music account in the UK with a proxy, then once you've registered you can upload and stream 20,000 songs. There isn't a space limit, it's number of songs which is quite handy.

Personally, I prefer the vanilla Android experience over things like Touchwiz and Sense, but it's easy to root your phone and then get rid of the manufacturer overlays. But hey, that's why I bought a Nexus S :hehe:

18. Meaty Pete

Meaty Pete King of the Potato People

S3 gets my vote. I sell mobiles (Don't judge me) and when I first played with both of them I was more disappointed with the S3 but over time the S3 is definitely the better handset.

I find sense much more clunky and not very intuitive compared to touchwiz (samsung interface) so I am surprised to read people here saying the opposite?? Apart from the frankly amazing weather wallpaper on the htc that is, it really does feel like flying through golden clouds.

When you pinch the handset in the middle the S3 definitely feels slimmer and sits in the hand better. All that pebble nonsense actually turned out to be true.

I would go for the S3 and put stock ICS on it, way way way better than either htc or sammy variants, unless the pop-up play feature of the samsung is necessary for you. It is quite a good feature if you watch alot of content on the go.

S3 all the way

19. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Very handy to know, thanks! :thumb: Mine said it was WCDMA only though :-/

20. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I would go and check them both out before you buy, It's really a matter of opinion I personally prefer the HTC one X, In the end it's your opinion that really matters.

Apophis54 likes this.