1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases USB 2 to USB 3 header adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pookie, 21 Jul 2012.

1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi guys

Looking to buy a Corsair carbide 300r case next week (upgrade fron Antec 900), i like the look of the case and it's within my budget. Only problem is my mobo (GA-X58A-UD3R) only has USB 2 front panel headers. The more expnesive Corsair case's come with the adapter so you can still use the front USB 3 ports albeit at USB 2 speeds.

I have seen some silverstone PCI-E cards that have the front panel header only, but i dont really want to add another card if i can help it. Any links to sites to adapters you think will do the job will be appreciated :thumb:

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

3. allanparker

allanparker What's a Dremel?

You can't.

USB 3 is NOT 4 pin. USB2 uses 4 pins, and you can plug a USB3 connector into USB2, but if you look deep into a USB3 socket you'll see that there are extra pins that connect when you plug USB3 into USB3.

If your motherboard doesn't have a USB3 connector, then leave it unconnected.

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks Lancer, that 's perfect :thumb:

5. JamesPearlEX

JamesPearlEX What's a Dremel?

I have been looking for one of these for ages now, thanks for the link Lancer!

6. JamesPearlEX

I don't suppose anyone knows where to get hold of one of these in the UK, as I need one pretty soon?

7. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

No problem. That's the only one I've been able to find unfortunately but I'll have another scout now.

8. JamesPearlEX

Awesome, thanks for looking Lancer. I have looked around myself but didn't really find anything. I always end up finding things that I'm not looking for!

9. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

If I don't have any luck, there's always this slightly expensive BitFenix adapter but you'd have to route the cable out the back of the case. I'm surprised that no one over here has started manufacturing those USB2 Header to USB3 header adapters as they are a much more elegant solution.

Edit: It seems Corsair provide one as part of the Corsair Carbide accessory box but I'm not sure if it's available on this side of the pond.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2012
  10. JamesPearlEX

I know what you mean. I know Corsair, Lian-Li, Silverstone and maybe some other brands provide them in the accessory packs with their cases, but it's impossible to buy them separately! I'm sure I can survive without the USB 3.0 ports and just the 2 USB 2.0 ports for the time being.

11. JamesPearlEX

The corsair accessory box is always recommended on forums, but like you said, it's not very easy to get hold of in the UK :(
    Thanks for having a look though, much appreciated! :D

12. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I've found another adapter but its from Frozen CPU who are based in America so you may have the same problem with shipping

13. JamesPearlEX

I found that as well when I was looking. Ends up being pretty expensive with shipping though. Looks like I may just have to order it from abroad and wait ages :(

14. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Order a few from China and sell them on over here, I know i'd buy one for my case... :worried: :hehe: