1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress PCs4VETS Purple Heart "MERIT" Awareness Mod/build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by alfredshuryan, 5 Aug 2012.

1. alfredshuryan

alfredshuryan What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    The oldest military decoration for the United States, the Badge of Merit was the first American award made available to the ‘common’ soldier. When General Washington first instituted the award, it was created from purple cloth to represent courage and edged with either binding or narrow lace. The design was said to be Washington’s own and that his friend, the Marquis de Lafayette, gave him a bolt of rich purple silk from which Martha Washington stitched the first badges.
    General Washington established the Badge of Military Merit on August 7, 1782 at Newburgh, NY. When Washington created the award, he stipulated it would be for enlisted personnel only and grant the recepient the distinction of being permitted to pass all sentinels and guards in the same manner as a commissioned officer. The award was to be a permanent award and the names of the recipients would be registered in the Book of Merit.
    [​IMG]

103rd Infantry Brigade may the on off button
    [​IMG]
    The Combat Infantry Badge will be across a DVD drive door under the front slide down panel.
    [​IMG]

I asked in a low point the other day if anyone had a lead on the COSMOS II or a respectful beauty of a case for our project and not 5 minutes went by and Craig Brugger of Losias Technologies PM'd me saying the NZXT Switch 810 was being shipped asking me what my address was.

It didn't take long for Phase 1 of Plan 2 for my thoughts to get working and with Jorge Rene Ortiz (El SoundWorks), my good friend doing an excellent job learing photoshop and CG, photography... he came up with a new work model #1 of plan 2.

There are more than a dozen changes to this already and itemized in the face book album; but here is my first model;
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

[​IMG]

The Shield is George Washington's Family Crest and will be etched in the window with vinyl and the ribbon MIGHT be made from material, di-noc or vinyl image. I have some experimentation to do.

I would love to tell everyone next year PCS4VETS Detroit will be a Recycling, Refurbishing, Tech Materials handling hub. That this location is up and working with Vets, teaching vets, giving to Vets. At the same time, running GREEN programs like refurbish huge numbers of systems and equipment. Reusing and giving a clean operating systems to hundreds maybe thousands of Vets. Self supporting and hopefully with paying jobs for vets with the learning to handle tech materials processing.

Many communities and states are moving toward electronic tech materials have to be disposed of separately. Large, medium and small companies will see a tax credit for giving systems, networks, equipment. Then we will refresh, refurbish, scrap and rebuild. Supply a job seeking Vet, a lonely Vet, restricted or limited access Vet, Gold Star Mother, widow, wife, child of a Veteran. A Veteran owned business or a Disabled Veteran Owned Business equipment to run and succeed.

Be real cool if Purple Heart "MERIT" was involved in a few to many expos, booths, gatherings, conventions and then come to rest in the Detroit office of PCS4VETS in active service, we'll need alot more than just "MERIT" but it will help alot, espcially doing CG, rendering, ad work, advertising, announcements, web pages, web ads LOGOS, TAGS and images but I'd rather see it working feverishly on new foundation programs
    [​IMG]
    I can tell you whatever hard work for PCS4VETS Detroit is doing it will probably be on "MERIT". If we tried to use my stuff? I have no web cam. My headset is falling apart and the mic rarely works... I have a MOBO and a Case in the build I just. A foundation build with budget trimmings from a 3 year savings. The machines here limped along for years running P4 478's beyond what we should have. My keyboard, Have you seen my typing? I'm not blaming it but 1/2 of my typos are this cheap borealis I've had for 2+ years. To print, I have to go to the back room and carry the printer into my work area in the living room. I have a SWEET mouse I just earned for doing a MOUSE Review of a Cyborg MMO 7 Gaming Mouse and it's being donated to the build. My own system I just built is already in active service for PCS4VETS. If you know me 40% of what you see of me is something having to with PCS4VETS. So you see, 'MERIT' will see action and fast i hope.

So what will happen to "MERIT"? I'll try my best to put it to Meritoriously performing it's duties. And maybe I'll be able to cut and paste this story as a true happening. If you begin to NOT see me around and hear of our other programs going active, I'll miss everyone but hope to work things out and have time to MOD/Build hangout and review. I used to work 100/wk for months but my body has developed a few shortcomings like simple movement for varying periods of time. I also manage a NON-Narcotic pain management program for myself as a choice for my disabilities.

SDVOB Service Disabled Veteran Owned Business. People should stop and ponder that for a moment. Service Disabled Veteran Owns this business. All of the help are volunteers. Some of the Volunteers and Board are Service Disabled Veterans. Some are children of Service Disabled Veterans. Some used to be a SDVOBusiness before. The Disabled helping all vets able and disabled. Do you see the twist? Disabled helping and not being helped. HONORABLE?

[​IMG]
    Patriot has donated the 16Gb Patriot VIPER Extreme 1866Mhz
    [​IMG]

I took a job with PureOverclock,com as a reviewer to earn product for PCs4VETS Builds and
    the Management Donated ECS Z77H2-AX Black Edition

[​IMG]
    I reviewed 2 mice and earned one of them:
    Cyborg M.M.O. 7 Mouse
    [​IMG]
    AVADirect donated a Intel I7 2700k 3.5Ghz
    [​IMG]
    Thermaltake gave a Water 2.0 Performer
    [​IMG]
    CORSAIR HX1050 W/Premium cables
    [​IMG]
    Phanteks Fans
    [​IMG]
    NZXT donated 3 LED fans and a Cable starter pack
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/alfredshuryan/Facebook/PURPLE%20HEART%20Computer%20Mod%20Details/gtx570-1.jpg[/IMG

The Following companies and individuals have helped as follows:
    Stan Miranda - Motherboard
    Kenny Dill - Artwork funds
    Ron Lee Christianson - Art Work Artist
    Ron Allen - George Washington Bronze bust
    Theo At Bright Side - Support and Introductions
    Craig Brugger- NZXT Switch 810
    David Hunt - PNY GTX 570 Signature Series
    Sean Kalinich - 1 Patriot SSD
    Jill Porath Iacopelli - Artwork funds
    John Hanlon - SLOT CD/DVD
    Mike Landenberger - Lutro0 Custom Sleeving
    Plextor - DVD Drive
    Phanteks - Fans
    G-Vans - GV-CT-09 Controller
    Patriot Memory - SSD Drive and Memory
    CORSAIR - HX1050 Power supply and Premium cables
    AVADirect - Intel I7 2700k 3.5Ghz
    Thermaltake - Water 2.0 Performer
    NZXT - 3 LED Fans and Cable Set
    All the support from friends at T.A.M.s & BHSTECH FB groups
    THANK YOU
    Now the Build and MOD begins stay tuned:

YEHBABY likes this.
  2. alfredshuryan

The BUILD BEGINS

OK Papa let's get started. Water Cooling rads here:
    [​IMG]

Front Bay Covers painted and pin striped:
    [​IMG]

Couple of the Phanteks painted GOLD:
    [​IMG]

Lower front cover is a problem, I wanted the waterfall effect from the ribbon on the medal,
    [​IMG]
    tried a number of things and came down to pressing a heavy grained towel on thick wet paint:
    [​IMG]

Painted the slot covers back side GOLD:
    [​IMG]

Some Results:
    [​IMG]

Front drive bays painted and striped:
    [​IMG]

WIth back lighting but more lighting and mod here to come and one blemish to fix:
    [​IMG]

Papa, you need help to do it right, here's a MNPCTECH Professional Modders Ruler:
    [​IMG]

Build almost complete:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Aug 2012
  3. alfredshuryan

MOD PROGRESS before Mural Reveal

MOD PROGRESS
    I would like to try WHITE UV tubing with the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer,
    Still missing the 24 pin Purple and White Cable done by Lutro0
    Added Arctic Cooler Memory cooler
    The Shield is G. Washington's Family Coat Of Arms
    [​IMG]

Inside lit by UV black light cathodes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other lighting is amber/gold 4" cathodes and amber fans but need more not bright enough yet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Added George W. to the front lower cover:
    [​IMG]

Ron Lee Christianson Has finished the Wounded Warrior Mural and it's being clear coated then sent home. I have not had a peek yet. When it arrives it will be revealed on video and released by CharleyBowy ModderDiaries Exclusive, http://www.modderdiaries.com/
    then posted in the logs... Can't wait..

I entered my first Mod Contest ever at ASUS: http://promoshq.wildfireapp.com/website/6/contests/264875/voteable_entries/55917718?ref=nf Wish us luck!

Last edited: 11 Aug 2012
    Waynio likes this.
  4. alfredshuryan

thanks Waynio....

It appears this build log can not be seen and is not being shown to the members. So why bother working on a log here?

Last edited: 16 Aug 2012
  5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Hi Alfred :) a 9 day late welcome to bit-tech, only just noticed this here. :D

The charity PCS4VETS you are in is an awesome initiative in many ways, love it :) should be a charity like that in every country, things like this should be supported & embraced a lot, my guess is people just missed it when you posted on the 5th from beginning to now, hang in & RISE from unknown to well known. :rock:

I think most modders start off not getting noticed much unless they had awesome skills to enter with something awesome or could be just a lack of people checking the project log page for new projects.

Might bump it a few times if needed to help a little on raising awareness of this awesome initiative & this mod which is a nice symbol for what it's about, awesome characters telling adversity to get stuffed & helping others rather than giving up AKA having awesome heart & character especially people who have put their lives on the line, smells strongly of awesomeness & I like it a lot, some people get knighted for a heck of a lot less, someone widely respected by the people is far more meaningful. :clap:

I only just seen it on here, projects can easily get missed slipping through the net off to page 2, then 3 & so on, good thing you posted again else it might have slipped into project log oblivion unnoticed possibly & we'd miss out on an inspiring community driven modder on a decent mission, the volumes of awesomeness that pass through bit-tech is high & fast so this can easily happen. :D

So really, hang in & keep posting, this is awesome, I was meaning to post in your log on losias but just didn't get around to it & seen your latest post & felt the need to say hello, mod on, your doing a great thing. :):dremel:

6. alfredshuryan

Thank You Waynio.
    All is well now. We are about to unveil the Ron Lee Christianson(known for IRON MAN) Wounded Warriors Panel Mural On video the second it arrives. The Slot DVD CD Player is due in, and the G-VANS GC-9 Controller will be here very soon.

While I wait on that we have 2 builds preparing to hit the bench. My PCS4VETS Auction PC METALS OF HONOR is already receiving product and concepts are flowing and Jim Cochrane has joined forces as PCs4PAVETS and I'm sending him the Corsair 650D to begin the POW/MIA MOD/Build there. So alot of build logs to begin soon. Thank you for your support.

7. alfredshuryan

I did feel a bit depressed knowing August 7th Purple Heart Anniversary would pass and us not have all the product we needed. But then I look at what happened, I've only asked my friends and members on FB twice for help. Once when our esteemed Leader Craig Bruger came thru with the NZXT Switch 810 Case and then when I seen I was going to miss the target I posted a link with the Last items we were short.

This is what picked me up. Below is a list of people and companies, Please note the PEOPLE. You guys pulled together and BAM!
    VIdeo Card, SLot CD/DVD, Lights, 5 more AMBER Fans, George Washington Bust, Fan Controller, Sleeved 24 pin cable.
    C'mon, tell me that doesn't touch your heart, It did mine. Wifes says your gonna go dehydrated you keep crying everytime you talk about that machine.

Bless you all and know this machine will work it's leds off in the business of recycling, refurbishing, advertising, graphics, tweeting, blogging and folding for spinal cord injury research, YOU DID THAT and I have love in my heart for each and every one from FB sharing and commenting to the build donations. THANK YOU.

Stan Miranda - MOBO & Windows 7
    Kenny Dill - $$ for art work
    Ron Lee Christianson - Art Work
    Ron Allen - George Washington Bust
    Theo At Bright Side - Sponsor Introductions
    Craig Brugger- NZXT Switch 810
    David Hunt - GTX 570
    Sean Kalinich - PATRIOT SSD
    Jill Porath Iacopelli - $$ art work
    John Hanlon - SLOT CD/DVD
    Mike Landenberger - Lutro0 Custom Sleeves
    Chris Cressey - G-Vans GC-9 Controller
    Plextor
    Phanteks
    G-Vans
    Patriot Memory
    CORSAIR
    AVADirect
    Thermaltake Italia
    NZXT

Standard closed loop look:
    [​IMG]
    TUBE Sleeving:
    You want to cut on the inside curves on a side that does not show.
    BE CAREFUL. If you nick or slice the inside of the other inner side it will show up on UV light.
    CUT CAREFULLY, it's a easy slice to your hand or fingers... Cut the ends smooth, UV shows all errors.
    I cant afford clamps unless the cycle shop has some but that will top the method off.
    This technique was shared with me by Otis Fratz, Big O' of Plum Crazy fame and a sharing pro.
    [​IMG]
    BTW Yes I know WHITE UV would look better, but again tight budget and we make do.
    This whole build and mod was making do with whatever is on hand or donated.
    The project is nothing at all like either plan or parts were designed but I still love what we've done.
    I'm told over and over again one of the better skills of a modder to have is doing with what you have
    not what you want or can afford to buy.
    And here it is on and lit: (I will really try to get some clamps, alot of begging going on at the end).
    I like how the MIA/POW is back lit too.
    [​IMG]
    Have to REPAINT. The front bay covers were so soft and took blemishes so easy.
    Decided I wanted to know the difference between POLY and ENAMEL.
    I had Poly and decent stuff but too soft. Sanded it all down to early paint. Rebuilt paint up 1000 grit rubs between coats.
    [​IMG]
    2000 grit rub last coat of paint. Enamel clear coat build up and 2000 grit rub, another layer and 2000 grit rub.
    AND NOW for something completely different or I've not seen yet in case modding sure it's out there.
    [​IMG]
    CLAY BAR. This will give great results on a old case Powder coat or enameled but it even
    does new paint proud. It's smoother grit then 2000 and i like what it does,
    Cash-Is-Clay the head says you judge:
    Before Clay:
    [​IMG]
    After CLAY:
    [​IMG]
    Follow the directions for your clay bar, this one is a few minutes in cold water then use like
    Wet Grit paper rub.
    AND it even glows better than poly did
    [​IMG]
    I know, I said the glow would be on the black edge too but the budget wasn't there.
    Still it looks nice. Not like the Button Purple Heart Medal g/w/g/pp/g/w/g but it's OK.
    [​IMG]
    I am happy with the results:
    [​IMG]
    Even George is happy but he never shows it:
    [​IMG]
    His panel is not cleared or glossy on purpose. Attempted to model the ribbon effect. A airbrush artist would do so much better.

I should show "The Pile" now that everything but the panel artwork and 24 pin is in:

The ECS Z77 should not be in there it was not a sponsor board.
    We have: Phanteks fans, NZXT Fans, NZXT starter cables, Thermaltake Big Water 2.0 & Theron Mouse, Corsair HX1050,
    Plextor 24x CD/CDVD writer, 16Gb Patriot Division 2 memory and Patriot Pyro 120GB SSD.
    [​IMG]
    I will be unveiling the Wounded Warriors professionally done Art work by Ron Lee Chriatianson soon as it gets here and
    installing the White and Purple 24 pin cable. I hope this happens Tuesday the 21st.

The corporate sponsors are done with this build/mod that is why I showed them but a few items are still short, not in yet and not picked up but I'll list the individual help now and update later. So if you see something in this list not on the rig yet, it's still in transit. I was waiting to post the blog I'm writing about the project team but we need to thank people now.

This project brought people together like no other I've done. The best people with hearts of GOLD like the medal itself. They joined the mission and became a member of my team:
    WE BUILT THIS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These People SUPPORTED and Individually sponsored
    Stan Miranda and the PUREOC team and membership - The ECS Z77 Black Edition Motherboard and Windows 7
    Kenny Dill - $$$ for the High Grade Paint Ron Lee Christianson used to paint the Wounded Warriors Mural
    Ron Lee Christianson - Painted the Wounded Warriors Art Work
    Ron Allen - Amber Fans and the George Washington Bust
    Theo At Bright Side - Bright Side Of News* Introductions to Corp. Sponsors
    Craig Brugger- Losias Technologies - Featured Articles - NZXT Switch 810 Case
    David Hunt - GTX 570 GPU, fans and Mod/smart Lighting
    Sean Kalinich - 120GB Patriot Pyro SSD
    Jill Porath Iacopelli - $$$ for Paint supplies and part of the shipping the panel to Ron Lee
    John Hanlon - Slot blue ray DVD/CD
    Mike Landenberger - Lutro0 Custom 24 Pin White and Purple Cables
    Misha Ttoshin AVADirect - CPU I7 2700K
    Christopher Cressey G-Vans - GV-CT-09 Controller. Thank You Christopher G-vans

THANK YOU Very much for being on the Purple Heart Team of "MERIT".
    [​IMG]

As promised the Unboxing youtube: (for now if you want to see the MURAL by Ron Lee Chriatianson You have to watch the 4 minutes of my ugly face)

Last edited: 23 Aug 2012
  8. Bull3t

Bull3t What's a Dremel?

out standing

great case and a honorable cause :thumb:

9. alfredshuryan

As promised the Unboxing youtube: (for now if you want to see the MURAL by Ron Lee Chriatianson You have to watch the 4 minutes of my ugly face)

For the last month Purple Heart has been up against 15 other builds in the Xoxide BOTM showing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank You for your support !,,!,

Last edited: 27 Sep 2012
  10. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

For youtube links, all you need is the video ID. The part between ?v= and the &featured part in this case. PxJQENsV-AQ :thumb:

Mod looks great, and as previously stated, great cause. I love these kinds of things

Last edited: 27 Sep 2012
    alfredshuryan likes this.
  11. alfredshuryan

Thank You Mosquito, ^5 for helping my cause be the best it can be..

12. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Not a problem :) If you edit your post to fix the video, I'll edit mine to remove it so only one gets loaded.

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Mural is awesome :rock::cooldude:

14. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

Great cause, great build, and great mural. Keep up the amazing work.