1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education A sad day for WebOS

Discussion in 'General' started by Elton, 4 Aug 2012.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

2. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

I have never even head of it.

3. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

That's a real shame, I expect it will just float along in the background with only a few developers working on it, much like the great BeOS!

WebOS had real potential, the best bits of Linux, Palm OS and Javascript, but alas it just didn't take off. Of course it didn't help the absolute shambles HP made of it - I'll never understand how they failed so epically with the TouchPad. They didn't even give it a chance to pick up before mercilessly abandoning it and its users :(

4. Elton

You want to know how? They probably bought Palm for the phone patents and then realized quickly how difficult it would be to make a competitive yet desirable piece of technology and promptly gave up.

If it had come out a few months earlier actually, the TouchPad probably would've been huge. But Owing to HP's frankly baffling management (from supporting Itanium, which isn't a bad thing, but baffling nonetheless to axing what was to be one of the better tablet OSes. That's why it died. But the real shame is that they had no foresight or even gusto to really stick with their own damn plans.

After using a bit of WebOS (i got myself a 32GB tablet for a princely sum of $200, why wouldn't I?) I realized that had it been optimized properly (which was possible) and had it fully utilized it would've been a wonderful tablet. But as it is, it's a pretty woeful implementation of a frankly fantastic piece of software. Hell Android 4.0 runs better on that TouchPad than WebOS.

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I LOVE webos, for actually working, taking notes, pulling up pdf's, doing email stuff, I find it better than android and ios. I use my touchpad a fair bit for work, when I go on site its often in my bag with my laptop as its just easier than using my laptop for a whole number of tasks. AND I got a free 50gb box.net with it, and the way it sync's with box.net and now dropbox if you get the app, its just awesome. But, i don't think its a terribly fun tablet, its good for work, not so good for fun times.

6. Elton

It isn't great for fun. But that's mainly due to the sluggish performance. If it was fast, it'd be miles better than droid or IOS.