1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Budget Graphics Cards with 2GB Memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LordLuciendar, 10 Aug 2012.

1. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

So, I don't seem to be able to find a clear answer to this question:

On low end cards like the NVIDIA GT Series (210, 430, 440, 520, 610, 620, 630) is there any point whatsoever to the higher memory version. Almost all of those cards have 1GB stock, so the higher memory version would be 2GB.

Another way to ask would be, is there any application that would benefit from the additional RAM, most CUDA stuff I've seen is processor centric, not memory, and games might use a bit of the extra buffer, but I doubt you could get reasonable frame rates from any game with a buffer over 1GB on those cards... anyone able to chime in?

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

no simply -its sales figure` omg it has 2 GB so it must be 1337`

3. andyj87

andyj87 What's a Dremel?

It might have a small benefit, but if you are buying a budget card then its likely it cant get up to the required resolutions to take advantage of 2GB anyway. You would be better off just getting a better series card.

4. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

BOINC can use the extra RAM...

dunx

5. TEMPLECOMPUTERS

TEMPLECOMPUTERS What's a Dremel?

As far as i can remember CPC did a small comparison years ago on 2 cards one having x amount of ram and the other having 2gig? I think the only difference was an extra few FPS on a few games.

At the end of the day one would guess that having 4gig or 1gig each game in question would have to actual call for the extra ram in the first place. its not going to be any faster unless your playing at top wack graphics. Would a game even have to be coded to call for the extra mem if available would a game know to look for it by default thats just my take on things anyway