1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Fans and cooling options for Corsair H100

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by malbluff, 10 Aug 2012.

1. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

I've heard of different ways to control twin fanned closed loop coolers, but is there a best way (mobo has twin 4 pin CPU fan headers). Also I've heard stock fans, with H100, are pretty rubbish. Can anyone recommend better (that don't sound like jet engines)?
    Many thanks.
    :confused:

2. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I just got one as well. Was thinking typhoons or the enermax

Last edited: 11 Aug 2012
  3. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

Scythe gentle typhoons might be a tad loud, i dunno how loud akasa apaches are and i heard corsairs new range of fans arent too shabby. Noctua fans are really good too but the colours are a disgusting brown lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

4. RustyTool

RustyTool What's a Dremel?

I have 2 Akasa vipers on my h100 controlled with an FC-10 and they perform great. at full speed they're audible but setting them at 1000rpm I can hardly hear them. apaches are even more quiet but do not perform as well

5. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

If you look on the market place Speed has some decent fans for sale

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

corsair SP120s?

7. malbluff

This is a first time self-build, and, whilst I can get my head around most things on the build, I'm really confused over control of cooler. It almost feels like the more info I get, the more confused I get.
    Asus mobo has TWO four pin CPU fan headers, for control by CPU load/temp. H100 cooler has molex, to connect to PSU, and 3 pin lead, to connect to mobo. The two fan leads plug into pump block.
    If I change radiator fans, I can get 3 or 4 pin (PWM), but do I then connect them together, with splitter, and plug into one of mobo headers, and connect pump to other header, or do I connect each fan to a mobo header. In which case, what do I do with 3 pin lead, from pump.
    Sorry for what is, presumably, a real beginners question.

8. echo three

echo three What's a Dremel?

I have 4 of these on mine, seems to work like a charm and they are hooked to my corsair 650d fan controller in the case on the lowest setting,

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'd personally go for GT's and run them at a slower speed, as you'll still get the high static pressure and air flow you need as a very reduced noise load (saying that my 3 are only a faint whir. I class my system as very quiet and it has 8 fans in it...)

10. TEMPLECOMPUTERS

TEMPLECOMPUTERS What's a Dremel?

Noctua NF-S12B FLX

2 fans should give you less then 40dB with CFM of around 120.... which is no louder then the stock fans of the H100. But alot more CFM. If your really bothered about the poor colour choice that Noctua like using then just spray them. I would only be tempted to spray the surround though incase one would unbalance the actual moving part and perhaps make the fan louder then it should be.

11. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I'm pretty happy with my Noctua fan's on my h80. Have them set up to the motherboard, and running at 100% they are equal to the stock fans cooling wise, maybe even a few degrees cooler, and virtually silent.

12. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

My scythGT 1850's aren't loud at all tbh.

13. theshadow2001

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. But from what I remember from seeing the H100 on the internets, it has a little button where you can select the pump speed. So I would plug the pump into the molex (its likely the pump would draw too much power for a fan header to supply anyway)

The three pin lead to connect to the motherboard lets it know that the pump is working. Motherboards can throw up errors if it detects a fan or in this case pump is not working.

For your fans you have a few options, you could plug them into the molex power using an adapter leaving them at full tilt constantly. You could use a splitter and plug them into the second motherboard cpu fan headers, for pwm control. Or you could plug them into the H100 pump, I don't know if this provides speed control or not.

14. malbluff

There is no fan speed control from the pump. The only control provided is manual speed selector for pump. I thought Corsair were supposed to be bringing out software based control of coolant temperature, but that doesn't seem to be the case (according to Corsair), only a manual speed controller, that is reckoned to be rubbish. I suppose fans could just be left at 100%, but hardly seems ideal, particularly from point of view of noise. I keep getting different opinions on how well two fans off a splitter, can be controlled.
    :wallbash:

15. theshadow2001

If you want fan control buy a fan controller. Really its straight forward, you can run your fans at a reduced voltage and constant rate by plugging them into the pump. You can use molex adapters and run 100% constantly. If you must have pwm you can use the two pwm headers on your motherboard since the pump won't be plugged into either of them. You can even buy a splitter cable at the cost of a few extra quid and try running two fans off of one header and see what happens.

Really you just need to get the gear and start playing around. There's only so much info you can get from forums. In my experience, there's always something that needs changing on a rig, or a tweak, or a new this, or a different that. So maybe you end up with loud fans, or you may not even need pwm. You're never going to get it all perfect, especially on your first build. Get the gear, start playing around

16. malbluff

You're probably right. I'll put it down to "first build nerves", wanting to plan everything, perfect. I suppose the answer is to get the "stock" solution, and, provided I'm careful, adjust, as necessary. Worst case scenario, I end up with a couple of spare fans, in a drawer, which is hardly the end of the world
    :)