1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Tablet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Podge4, 15 May 2012.

1. Williz

Williz Minimodder

No worries, have fun! My friend recently got the Asus Slider and I am slightly jealous to say the least... The keyboard on it is awesome.

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I own a Hannspree Hannspad, a really nice 10" screen Android tablet with plenty of oomph from the Tegra2 chipset inside. It's run various flavours of the Android OS with different kernels. Amazing piece of kit. It has had massive support from the community, from when it was released people were figuring out how to get the latest OS to run on it.

I also own a Sumvision Cyclone Astro (it's a rebadged 7" Android tablet) that has been well supported by the 'original' manufacturer (Momo) as it's running 4.0.3 ofw.

I also now own an original iPad and while it's nice and the interface is fairly fluid, i.e. it doesn't lag - it doesn't seem as instant. It handles everything really well but you can tell it's from the iPhone3g era in that a 3g with iOS 5 on it struggles - it's ok but you're left waiting for something to happen now and again; it's not as instantaneous as a newer Android tablet.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

Can you drop me a PM with your Serial Number and SW version so that I can track this down?

Thanks,
    Tim

4. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I may not need to...after my rant I manually checked for firmware. Turns out there was one released two weeks ago. Installed yesterday and all the major faults are gone. No more screen-tearing or random restarts at least.

In fact the only bug I've noticed so far is one that might not even be an Asus issue - namely, in the Youtube app, on a video view, and typing in the search field when docked it will mistake a spacebar stroke for a tab stroke, highlighting the first related video.

I believe I'm back to recommending transformers after 2-3 months of cursing their name.

5. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

Two day in so far and im really happy, all the apps that won't install on my Archos will work now. Is there a way of buying apps and games without adding a credit card to my google account? Like you can get £15 vouchers for Itunes on ipads.

6. Meaty Pete

Meaty Pete King of the Potato People

I saw a guy in HMV buying one of these for £330 so had a play, was a nice keyboard and the sliding motion was good quality but it wasn't quite as snappy as the prime.

7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Not to my knowledge no, Debit cards work fine though.

Sam

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Good to know that the software update has resolved your issues. Thanks for letting me know. :thumb:

The Slider is using NVIDIA's Tegra 2 processor (the same as the Transformer TF101), so the Prime will definitely feel a lot faster in comparison thanks to its Tegra 3 chip. :)

9. Podge4

If i was to add my card details on whats the security like buying apps and through the likes of Amazon on tablets? i've added avg on but i would probably buy Kaspersky as i have that on my pc, i've also added the Opera browser. I know ppl who buy loads on the internet and do their banking through an ipad and htc phone but i've always been slightly dubious mainly down to not knowing enough about security.

10. Podge4

Just to say that on the Prime i bought the back camera went faulty today, took it back and got a refund as store won't have any more in.

I've decided i might wait for the Asus Transformer infinity, does anyone know when it'll be out, i've seen 31st August and is that correct?

11. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Considered the Nexus 7? Excellent piece of kit and the 7" form factor is great for travelling (also find it better for gaming than the 10" widescreen too!)

Supports OTG (via a cable) and rooted you can mount memory cards/USB sticks etc no probs. (may work unrooted too - not sure)

12. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

Definitely consider a Nexus 7. I've had mine for a month or so now and it's absolutely fantastic. Can't praise it enough. If you've got any questions about it I'd be happy to try and answer them for you.

Hope this is useful!

13. DIZZY DAZZLER 2010

DIZZY DAZZLER 2010 Tech nut!

I recently purchased the nexus 7 as i hate how apple restrict some of the things i want to do with my ipad 2 (damn apple) the problem however is my nexus 7 suffered with a backlight problem where the auto back light didnt work.

I have sent it back and i am unsure whether to buy another one since i asked for a refund. Whilst i hate apple the ipad just works!!!!!

14. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

It's true the Nexus 7 has had some teething problems. I spent a while on the phone with some Google engineers and we eventually established that I had found a new problem that nobody had reported before :D

But hey, it hasn't affected me since so I would still recommend it. After all, if you get a duff one then just send it back and get a new one!

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Returned my nexus 7 lacked for content vs what's available in USA on the same thing my m8 in America loves his for his media viewing needs.

iPad simply better for me in uk sad that is want andriod but doesn't look like the support will arive.

If you live in USA nexus 7 is nice, in the uk not so much.

Never had back lighting issues also.

16. Podge4

i've got a book with some details and a review about the nexus 7, will read it when i can. Have seen sites talk about it but never really looked into it yet :thumb:

17. DIZZY DAZZLER 2010

DIZZY DAZZLER 2010 Tech nut!

I also got caught out by google music as i didnt realise until i purchased my nexus 7 thats its not availabe over here in the uk. Think i am going to stick with my ipad 2 for a while.

18. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

I picked up a 16GB Nexus 7 the other day and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it. I expect for the time being I'll pre load most of my media ie films, music etc when I have to travel and stream what I want from my NAS when I'm at home.

The only niggle I have is the lack of 3G connectivity, however I can tether it to my Galaxy S2 and as I long as I'm within my data package it's all good.

19. SB-1991

SB-1991 What's a Dremel?

Not read all the replies but I had a Sony S Tablet when it came out, sold that and got the new iPad and the iPad is in a whole league of its own. It's Apple remember, it's great with Apple TV as well.

20. JTG06

JTG06 What's a Dremel?

I bought the Nexus 7 yesterday, but had to take it back today and have it replaced due to a problem with auto-brightness (it shuts the back-light off completely in low light environments).

The replacement works perfectly and so far, I love it. I'll likely give it to the wife though when the Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 is released in the UK... :D