1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Replacing a busted Motherboard. Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaleenh, 17 Aug 2012.

1. shaleenh

shaleenh What's a Dremel?

My computer gave up the ghost during last night's gaming session, and it seems to be the motherboard that's busted. I'm planning to get a new one and would appreciate any recommendations. I'm not 100% familiar with which one would suit the processor I have.

My current configuration:

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz Socket 1366 D0 stepping 8MB Cache OEM Processor
    Titan Fenrir TTC-NK85TZ 120mm PWM
    Asus P6T SE, Intel X58, Sok 1366, P --- This is the bid that's gone bad---
    Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory CL9(9-9-9-24) for i7 motherboards
    2GB MSI HD 6950 Twin Frozr III Power
    Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail
    1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3, S
    2TB Seagate ST32000542AS Barracuda
    Crucial CT128M4SSD2BAA 128GB M4 SSD 2.5 inch
    Antec Three Hundred Case Black

I usually use this computer for gaming, and wouldn't be averse to upgrading the CPU along with the motherboard if it makes sense, though I have't yet had a game I couldn't play on max settings.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

If your CPU is serving you well, there's no real reason not to just replace your mobo, like for like. There are no obviously better ones, unless you want to pay silly money.
    On the other hand, if you consider your CPU may be coming towards the end of its trouble free life, and you've got to change mobo, anyway, now may be the time to update CPU, as well. Unless you've got a specific NEED for an i7 CPU, the i5-3570K seems the favoured choice, at the moment. Couple that with a Z77 mobo (the Asus P8Z77-v PRO is good, but there are plenty of cheaper, adequate ones). You may be able to re-use your RAM, just adding a 4th module. To be honest, thinking about it, I'm not sure if you re-use that CPU cooler, just changing mount, or if you'd need to replace it. Someone can probably confirm that,

3. shaleenh

Thanks Malbluff. It seems as though my previous motherboard is no longer available, except at silly prices or on ebay. So a like for like replacement seems unlikely.

I'm tempted to just go for a whole new system, keeping only my GFX card, HDDs and RAM. Perhaps the power supply too.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2012
  4. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

There WERE a couple on Amazon, yesterday, admittedly with "only 3 left in stock", or something. However, the only version there, this morning, seems to be the WS. To be honest, it was probably better, anyway, to use the situation to upgrade to Ivybridge, and a z77 mobo. Apart from the cooler, and an adjustment of the RAM, you can probably re-use everything else, provided it's not too old, and in decent "nick".

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Tbh X58 mother boards are getting harder to get now so you may be better off thinking about going over to a more current platform.

6. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

In a similar position here, where my P6TSE socket is damaged, looking for a replacement. It still works, but is very delicate.
    On Ebay Sabertooth X58's usually go for about £60 including postage, the other popular one being the Giga's EX58A UDR3 for about the same. All used though :)

That said, if you dig, there are a few boards out there, such as this Asus P6T WS Professional, new from Dabs.

7. shaleenh