1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Foam for modding

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Vampiel, 11 Aug 2012.

1. Vampiel

Vampiel What's a Dremel?

I am new to modding but have built PC's for a long time, some of the modding idea's I have are.... well quite frankly I haven't been able to find anything quite like them other than a few.

Cutting aluminum and bending plastics can only go so far without heavy equipment. Has anyone experimented with foam and if so what where the results? There is a lot of different types of foam as well, so please be specific if you have.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Foam? Why foam? :lol:
    I've used hobby foam rubber sheet for filling gaps and padding fans and pumps. TheGreatSatan has several logs here where he employed GreatStuff expanding foam for...just about everything.
    There's also a Aztec Thermaltake level10 mod in here... (can't find it.)That uses a hobby sculpting foam.

Beyond that, styrofoam has been used by numerous builders for shaping fiberglass and carbon fiber molds. Many more have bondo over styrofoam for their actual construction.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I've always found foam a bit of a pain, and only ever used it as a mold for that very reason. Aluminium can be done very easily with only simple tools, I recommend looking at some of Attila's projects, especially: Cygnus X1. - One of the best projects ever seen on these forums, and done with very simple tools and techniques..

[​IMG]

I wish we saw more papier mache.... :waah:

4. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

expanding foam like this?

example

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol: Try doing that with an I7... While that is a classic, I think he wanted good examples.

6. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

well i've heard that someone use that foam to insulate HW when run chiller :) won't sure about i7 but bulldozer defly :)

7. Vampiel

Vampiel What's a Dremel?

Interesting brake they used to bend the aluminum. I think you still may be able to do more with foam for what I'm thinking. More of models that don't look anything like a computer case. I've seen one that was modeled after Star Trek of one of the ships.

8. Vampiel

Vampiel What's a Dremel?