1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Minecraft; Official Bit-tech server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Stickeh, 6 Oct 2010.

1. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I maybe sparse and short on visits but congrats Mrs fio and Jr :)

2. Xtreme_Machine

Xtreme_Machine Survivalist

Good news everyone!

We have a new home (again) :D Yay!!

I have found my good friend Wolkerson (maybe you still know him) willing to host 'our' new server (also again :p) Hooray!

Yes i did say new server so i don't know about the specs yet. All i can say is memory is not going to be an issue because i'm ordering new hardware :p What i can say is that our connection will be 100mbit! :jawdrop: I am so jealous :(

When the big move is going to be i do not know yet. I am about to go on vacation in two weeks and Wolkerson is about to go abroad for work at about the same time. I am hoping we can get everything together before that, but i can't promise anything. The hostname will also probably change again.

I will keep you informed!

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Excellent, glad to hear something is sorted :thumb:.

I'm moving my tekkit served to a new host soon, too. Need moar power!

4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Good to hear!

Going to try and be on a bit more often this week but it's kinda lonely without anone else atm.

5. Xtreme_Machine

I just ordered the new hardware :) I didn't make it a beast of a machine (to keep the costs down of course :p), but i think it will more then suffice.

I ordered a Core i3 2120 (Quad, 3,30Ghz) with 8GB of memory (with room for expansion) and two 500GB hdd's which i will place in RAID 0. This all on a reasonable Gigabyte motherboard.

I'll probably get the parts the day after tomorrow so i have to weekend to build the thing :p

More later! :D

6. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

7. JrRRr

JrRRr Minecraft addict

Good news indeed..

Havn't been on in "ages" - partly because I've tried out BLC's Tkkit-server, and partly because of our newborn son. Don't know how much time I can get on actually plaing. And Tekkit - altough fun and mindblowing etc. - is starting to be a bit dull. (You know, when you got the "Energy Conversion Table" it start's to get a bit boring. If I was still in my teens, I would probably be a "die-hard" - but now.. ..meh..)

Is a new world in order? We've gotten some new goodies in the resent updates.. ..but perhaps we should wait for the next update?

Or would it be interesting to try one of Vechs' maps?

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I haven't posted this in the thread yet, but I've been considering disabling the Equivalent Exchange mod. You're right: once you've got a transmutation table or condenser going, it takes a lot of the fun out of things. I'll post this in the thread now to get people's opinions...

9. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

Looks like the servers been griefed :/

10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Just a wonder, and this might be left field or whatever.... the tekkit server and vanilla server are now taking half and half of the bit tech users - this is not good for the community imo... could we somehow merge the servers? or make the vanilla one tekkit? after all you don't HAVE to use the tekkit stuff.

Just a thought that might warrant discussion :)

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Just to be clear, I didn't set up the tekkit server to deliberately split people. I was interested in Tekkit, there was interest from a few players here, and I had spare capacity to run it. Plus it gets pretty boring just playing on your own...

As for converting the vanilla/bukkit server to tekkit, this may cause some issues. The theory is simple - just disable all the mods - but the practicalities are a little more awkward. Tekkit is based on an older version of Bukkit (1.2.5-R1.1, last I read - not sure if this has changed), and it makes plugin compatibility difficult. Not only that, but because bukkit is based on Minecraft 1.3, any content in the world from 1.3 will be broken upon migration to tekkit.

There are plugins that let you move between servers, in a similar way to moving between the overworld and the nether, or even between worlds in a multiverse setup. The problem with that however is that I don't know how well it would work for us; the main bukkit server is compatible with the vanilla client, but tekkit isn't. Players would have to use the tekkit client to connect to the bukkit server, and I'm not sure how well that works (I can test this on my own bukkit server though). Even if that works though, we may run into compatibility problems again since even the tekkit client is based on Minecraft 1.2.5 (well, I'm pretty sure it is) and the bukkit server - assuming it's up to date - is based on Minecraft 1.3.

I guess the short answer is that I don't know. I'll happily keep the tekkit server going as long as the interest lasts. Xtreme_Machine is likely to want to keep the bukkit server going, especially considering that he's just ordered new hardware for it. Plus there's a pile of ideas that I have for additional content/plugins, which should make it a little more interesting than just "be the first person to get a quarry down and get the best stuff earliest" (not to mention disabling Equivalent Exchange).

12. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Just so its clear, I didnt intend to accuse you of trying to split people - just that now it has, what can we do to rejoin them :)

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

And neither did I think that :thumb:

14. JrRRr

JrRRr Minecraft addict

Thanks. It's comments like this that makes me all warm and fuzzy. To clarify so to not make offence. Nice! ;)

15. MrsFio

MrsFio THE Minecraft Woman

I want to play at the vanilla server again - and I'm up for a new world if anyone else is?
    Like - start all over at a new place - with the same cool people!

16. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Well if my schedule ever decides to give me a break (I'm getting a few glimmers and glimpses here and there) I'd be well up for a new start in vanilla, as tekkit feels a bit too much like creative for my tastes :) Wouldn't mind trying to build an even bigger wheat farm!

17. Xtreme_Machine

Hi all,

Just wanted to give a quick status update on the new server :)

Last weekend i managed to get all the hardware in a case and yesterday i finally got an OS installed. I was thinking about MineOS+ and took another look at it, but because i probably want to do more with the server then just host minecraft (terraria / killing floor maybe? :) ) i went for windows server 2008.

This week i want to get the server ready for 'shipping', because the current plan is the server is moving this Saturday. My friend is coming over for a barbecue and will take the server home with him. The data transfer and final tweaks will be done remotely.

Bye for now :)

18. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Yeah, im actualy a bit bored of tekkit already :p It is a bit creativey.

Thanks for the fforts again Xtreme! Will we be starting a new map, im kind of with MrsF on this matter, that map is old now and a brand spanking new one would be cool :)

19. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Are you moving all the files individually?

If you want to put multiple VM's on the box you built I can de-mount the VHD file and let you download it import it into Hyper-V and your up and running again.

Just an idea.

Took me an hour to download 3 of the Virtual Servers. Just your's left.

20. 985323

985323 I am Jack's smirking revenge

The server is REALLY laggy lately, is getting kinda annoying :/