1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post moderation times...

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by MrT0ad, 21 Apr 2011.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Those pesky spambots, taking all the best usernames :rolleyes:

Apophis54 likes this.
  2. G12EG

G12EG What's a Dremel?

how long does it take?

Apophis54 likes this.
  3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Just in case any of you are wondering, the spam is just as bad, if not worse than ever. If any of it does slip through, please report it, and reply with a simple 'Reported.', so we aren't spammed with a load of messages.

Love and cuddles, the Mod team.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yepper - worst I can remember it being atm - 126 threads waiting for me this morning, 3 or 4 were non-spam. :(

It's a shame we don't want lots of lovely fake chinese goods, we'd be laughing!

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Usually I log in at around 7.45am and clear out 150 spam. Then I log in around noon and clear out another 50. In the late afternoon another 20 or so and same in the evening. As an experiment I systematically banned about 50 spammers to see if that would make a dent, but they simply create new accounts. I can see about five registering right now as I type this.

6. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

This subject comes up time and time again, so often that I suspect things haven't changed re signing up since I joined this delightful arena. But I can't actually remember the process re signing up and I can't check without flouting the multiple accounts rule ;)

So if I may, a suggestion. When a new victim devotee decides to join the forum, in the "Yaaaay you're a member :clap:" email or PM (if one is even issued - can't remember, and if it isn't it should be!) why not put right at the top, after the "Yaaaay ... enjoy your stay", a passage along the lines that the first 10 posts are moderated, this takes time - usually within XX hours - and is done for the good of the forum to keep spam at bay so please be patient and understanding?

For those who care to read it they'd know what's what and it'd save all you mods justifying your time and activities to people. For those who don't bother reading it, any thread like this would probably end up with one reply to the OP - YOU DIDN'T READ YOUR WELCOME EMAIL/PM :nono:

Other forums do something similar, i.e. a welcome to the forum communication, so why not BT with such a message?

Last edited: 6 Sep 2012
    Apophis54 likes this.
  7. Nexxo

We are trying to get the sign-up process modified. This takes some forum software geekery however, so may take some time.

Beyond that, it's in the forum Rules and FAQ's which new members are expected to read. Geeks should not need spoon-feeding information.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Out of interest Nexxo, now Jamie has moved on to pastures new who is responsible for such geekery?

9. Nexxo

That's why it may take some time... :p We may have to hire Jamie back on a freelance basis.

10. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

One might think so, this and threads like it prove otherwise ;) Just trying to be constructive/pro-active and avoid some of the :wallbash: :)

G0UDG likes this.
  11. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Are you saying you have the power to hire people on behalf of the forum/ Dennis ?

12. Krikkit

No, he's talking about the mods and staff a collective hive mind. :p

Carrie: Suggestions and thoughts are always appreciated, even if they're not implemented. :)

13. Teelzebub

Is that like the Borg?

Apophis54 likes this.
  14. Nexxo

You mean, a soulless collective of automatons controlled by a nefarious hive mind intent on world domination? Naah. :worried: :p

Last edited: 6 Sep 2012
  15. Teelzebub

You cant be the Borg you just changed your mind lol anyway I dont think the allow you to wear red :hehe:

Apophis54 and YEHBABY like this.
  16. Nexxo

I'm a wimpy blue science type. :p

17. Teelzebub

Why is there so much spam getting through lately? Is it the old make an account and not post for a while trick?

18. Krikkit

It's either a bug in the vB software or a mod getting slightly careless and approving occasionally. What gets through is <0.5% though, rest assured. :)

19. Nexxo

I certainly note that there can be a considerable time (up to a few days) between registering and posting. Sometimes either process seems to go on for days. This makes me wonder whether the spammers are bots on infected machines that can only do their thing when the host machine happens to be turned on.

20. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

How long should we wait before reporting a post again? Only that this has been sitting around for 3 days despite being reported.

I understand things can quite easily slip trhough the nets, no worries there, just that when they do, how long should we wait to avoid reporting something twice in the same moderation que?