1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot run GPU folding

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by danielrmitchell, 22 Aug 2012.

1. danielrmitchell

danielrmitchell What's a Dremel?

Hi. I have been running v7 client on one of my PC's for sometime now however the graphics card overheated and died (XFX GTX280 XXX Edition) so I quit folding on the machine for sometime.

Having recently replaced the graphics card with a 670 I decided it was time to bring it back and start folding again.

That was two weeks ago and since then I have noted that it only runs Uniprocessor client instead of GPU. During install I selected GPU specifically as I need the CPU to be left alone as the machine is also a file server that is accessed frequently, the graphics card is used for nowt but folding.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

UPDATE:
    Have reinstalled the V7 client, selecting to folding on both CPU & GPU.
    The client now reports that it is using the SMP client (as opposed to Uniprocessor) however it still is not folding using the GPU.
    I have installed the latest, up to date drivers from nVidia (as of yesterday) and also have now disabled the onboard graphics (nvidia 7025) which I was using to display on a second monitor so as not to steal too many clock cycles from folding! Either way, this has made no difference in itself.

Last edited: 28 Aug 2012
  2. danielrmitchell

OK...after searching through this forum I found this post "New To Folding" and found a reply by One_Box who proffered up a link to a post on the FoldingForum.org regarding the GPUs.txt file which has solved the problem I was having.

Basically, the GTX670 is not recognised yet by the Folding client as it is too new! By following the instructions provided i the post i was able to add the GPUs.txt file to the FAH_client directory in windows, whitelisting the card for use with the V7 client.

Problem solved!

UPDATE:
    Actually, I was somewhat premature in announcing that the problem was solved.
    A little more work was required.:grr:

Once the GPUs.txt file was added...

• Restart the client
    • Change to Advanced mode
    • Configure > Slots
    • Double click "gpu" to edit the slot
    • Scroll to the bottom of the window to the area titled "Extra slot options (Expert only)
    • Click "Add"
    • in the Name field type "client-type"
    • in the Value field type "beta"
    • Click OK > OK > Save
    • Quit and the restart the client.

After much more frustration I found that simply waiting 10 minutes allowed the client to update and start folding correctly.

The estimated PPD for this first core is currently 19285.

I fully expect, after reading numerous posts all over the place, that once the F@H client has been updated with official support of the GTX670 (and other Fermi core cards) that the PPD will be significantly higher and look forward to that day.

I hope this info helps someone?:D

Last edited: 22 Aug 2012
  3. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

You don't need the "client-type beta" flag. Once you have the gpus.txt file, the card is recognised and will fold in the gpu slot. I had one for a while but swapped it out for a 580 as it appears to give better ppd.

4. danielrmitchell

Really? I only ask because without the -beta flag I could not get folding at all! (yes - I waited...and waited).

5. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

Glad that thread helped daniel :)
    I definitely needed the client-type beta flag to fold, GPU wouldn't fold without it...
    Kepler optimisation is currently being worked on by both the F@H team and Nvidia so hopefully our PPD will shoot up soon :)