1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC HTPC Build advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by warrmr, 16 Aug 2012.

1. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

Howdy guys,

I have been inspired by this guy and have decided to undertake a similar HTPC build myself.

The only criteria I have is that it must be as cheap as possible and do the job, I already have some of the components that are needed to do the job but im unsure about a GFX card and PSU.

What I have,
    ECS mcp61m-m3 motherboard with onboard graphics (VGA out only)
    AMD Sempron 145,
    1GB ddr3 ram
    Assorted HDDs, Will probably buy a SSD eventually but at the mo it will be a 5400 laptop drive.

What I think I need to purchase
    DVB-S2 freesat HD tuner card dual input
    NVidia Graphics card (GeForce 8 series) Anything aslong as it does HDMI and supports Hardware acceleration of Myth TV/XBMC
    PCI-E x16 remote riser card
    PCI-E Riser card
    PSU ?

I already have a 400watt PSU that I could use and im pretty sure that it will be more than powerful enough but as I am doing a "Copycat" mod the PSU will not fit in the Sky box with the case. I was looking at a Pico PSU like dynamis_dk used but according to the Termaltake PSU calculator I need over 200watts and I cannot find a 250 watt Pico PSU.

What can I do to reduce the need for a higher power PSU or should I be looking to see if a 1U server PSU will fit in the sky box along with the rest of the hardware.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2012
  2. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

Well I have been doing some thinking and have decided rather than going and getting an add in graphics card just so that I can use HDMI, I have manage to find a motherboard that will take my existing Processor and RAM that has a HDMI port available to it.

The Asrock 880GMH/USB3 looks to be a good choice and is cheaper than a new graphics card. With that in place It looks like I could get away with a 160watt or 200watt PSU

Cheers for your help guys,.

3. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

The TV card you need is the Black Gold 3600. It has twin DVB-S2s AND DVB-T2s.

What case(s) are you looking at?

4. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

I was looking into making a copycat mod to that linked in my first post using a white sky+ box that I have laying around. But I am now thinking it might be a little ambitious so might end up buying a small htpc case.

That tuner looks awesome but outside of my budget, I have been looking at the BGT3595 as they seem to be going for around £60.

5. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

The silverstone milo case(from Scan) looks like the most economical htpc case that looks like "hi-fi" kit. I've got a htpc setup in an standard micro-atx case and standard geenric ATX PSU fitted but that's the weak link since its the only audible component at present.
    I have a blu-ray drive and it's connect to the surround sound via optical out but I don't use a TV tuner card- most TV I watch is on netflix, lovefilm or iPlayer!

6. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I have recently bought the Milo 03 case, and it is great for the price!

7. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

@Greentrident and @Sheiken how big is the Milo ML03 case as looking at the picture it looks to be quite large as it takes a full sized PSU. How would it compare in size to say an xbox or a DVD player.

Also the good price that I saw on Amazon for the Asrock 880GMH/USB3 is no longer avalable and I have just found out that it is a discontinued board.

Any other recommendations for a motherboard with HDMI out.