1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress TJ-11/Level 10 hybrid scratchbuild?

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by rwb97, 5 Jul 2012.

?

What color sleeving?

1. Red

25.6%
  2. Black

17.9%
  3. Both

56.4%
  1. rwb97

rwb97 Addicted to modding

Clear definitely heheheh.

Yeah, was going for black, sounds like a good process. Any particular type of paint (If possible, a type that will go through an airbrush.

Thanks very much for the help, I'm a complete novice to painting.
    :dremel:

2. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

I'm by no means an expert when it comes to painting, but I have done a fair amount of woodworking. You'll probably want to use some sort of sealer on the plywood first, like a shellac sanding sealer (I use Zinsser bullseye sanding sealer, or General Finishes Seal-A-Cell for this, but just make sure it's dewaxed/100% wax free). Use a few coats of that, and then sand smooth to a high grit paper. It will give a better starting surface for the paint, and fewer coats of paint to get a good flat surface.

From there, you'd probably be better off finding a tutorial or seeking advice from someone else... I think Bill (MNPCTech) has a video tutorial somewhere for getting a high gloss paint finish

rwb97 likes this.
  3. rwb97

Ok, sounds great, me thinks I have some sealer somewhere, and yeah MNPC has some good tutorials so I'll take a look.

Again, Thank's very much, +rep

4. rwb97

Quick update to conclude today, made a mount for my optical drive, Its a bit crummy, but wont be seen, and could be made using offcuts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, my Dad picked up a 3mm router bit so I can get going with that. Cheers Dad:D

Finally, I have ordered some plastikote and some sanding sealer to paint the backstand-Thanks to Mosquito for that.:thumb:

Be back for more tomorrow!!

5. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Might want to try on scraps before you do it to your already completed piece... just in case you're not happy with the results :)

Nothing wrong with a 'scraps turned useful' approach to the dvd mount... As you say, won't be seen anyway

6. Wissel

Wissel What's a Dremel?

Very cool build so far - subbed :thumb:

7. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

I can't wait to see it finished. :D

8. rwb97

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

And now, for another update!

Done the router work, so I now have a place for mounting my pump, and also, the acrylic is now attached to the wood in the groove I made.
    [​IMG]

I think it's starting to take shape:D
    [​IMG]

Motherboard tray, PSU, and radiator mounting is nearly done, I will do my best to get that up by the weekend as I am going away.

9. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

CD drive sandwich :p

10. rwb97

Back from my trip now, so here's what I did this morning:

Rad and Motherboard mounts done.
    [​IMG]

The motherboard tray slides in the two pieces of wood either side. The grooves took ages to make, as my router wont cut deep enough. Really pleased with it in the end though, as I am often swapping stuff out, so I can now easily slide the whole thing out the top.
    [​IMG]

Found out with my PSU, that there are 4 M3 holes in the face opposite the fan, so for mounting that, I just screw straight into it from the other side of the backstand.

All for now.

11. rwb97

Done a fair bit today-finished making holes in the backstand for cables, put a rim on the back with spacers to hold the backpanel on, cut the back panel, and filled and sanded it all.

Here's the PSU mounted also, with the cables for it and the fans to be tucked into the space inside the backstand.
    [​IMG]

From the other side.
    [​IMG]

The new holes in the front, took a while sanding the round corners, and the one for the front panel wasn't easy either as I had to go through the more fragile slot for the motherboard.
    [​IMG]

This is the thinner panel I screwed onto the spacers and rim.
    [​IMG]

Here's the gap where the wires will be hidden.
    [​IMG]

All sanded and filled... and sanded again!
    [​IMG]

12. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

Subbed just for the mobo tray.
    Really like that :)

13. rwb97

Heheh well thanks, gotta say I was pretty pleased too being able to make it in one piece! Thanks, really appreciate it.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2012
  14. Parafilm

Parafilm What's a Dremel?

Looking very good!

Can't wait to see how it turns out in the end :)

15. rwb97

Did a test last night for painting, sponged on a couple of layers of primer, sanded smooth, and sprayed 5 thin coats of plastikote. waiting for that to dry so I can try buffing it.
    [​IMG]

Whilst I was waiting, I started priming the two parts of the backstand.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far so good?:worried:
    Will do two more layers and then sand later, I will try and get that up as soon as I can.

Lastly, last night I ordered two more fans for my 3rd rad, some more hose, and some red and black paracord and crimps.

16. rwb97

Well that was quick!
    just got my red paracord. Black should be here soonish.
    Had a quick try with a sata power connector, it is hard to get an idea as I only used short endpieces that had got a bit mangled, but looks good to me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weather really isn't great today so I'm thinking I'll leave painting till I can do it outside now I have this to do.

17. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

If I understand correctly, in the cooling setup you have now, you have the warm air from one radiator feeding two others? Maybe there is something to say for switching that around, with two radiators getting fed cold air, and one warm. Or maybe all three cold air (with side vents), but you'll have to watch out for pressure build-up that can kill the airflow.

Something to think about?

Also: really like how this is going!

18. rwb97

Managed to get most of the sleeving done yesterday, (trying with just red at the moment and I have to say I think I really like red on it's own.) Just got the modular cables left to do.

Dont tempt me:naughty:
    [​IMG]

Ahhh that's better:lol:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting there...
    [​IMG]

Done!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Never done sleeving before, so It may not be the best, but I think the colour is alright so if I can get it neatly into the connectors (I plan to not use heatshrink) when my crimp pins arrive then I will be happy.

Aside from sleeving, It is a much nicer day today, so I have started spraying again, however It's not going too well. Before any painting, I sanded the wood as much as I could, to try and get rid of the grain, however it still shows through. If I had sanded it any more, I would have gone through the veneer. Tried putting on more coats of primer hoping it would fill the grooves, and sanded the highspots between layers-reached 8 now! would anyone know if using a floor varnish that is a bit thicker would work, and then prime and paint over that after sanding?

Ah! I have forgotten to show something:eeek:
    Where the side panel and walls join, there will be about a centimetre of modders mesh separating the two. I will use this to screw into to attach them, and also do provide more ventilation inside the case. This means that cold air will also be sucked in from the sides of the radiator bit. -So yes, the plan is that all 3 rads get cool air. (I will need to make an exhaust duct or something for the rad ontop of the others. Hopefully it will work:worried: heheheh.

Thanks!

19. rwb97

Making some more progress with the painting now, as the floor varnish seemed to work. I have now sprayed one part, but unfortunately I ran out of paint on the second, however I managed one coat. I'm not sure if I can get more before school starts again :sigh:

With that aside, I went on to wet'n'dry the bit I did paint
    [​IMG]

And now it has it's clear-coat drying for tomorrow morning when I shall do some buffing!

20. rwb97

This is about as good as I think I can get it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    your thoughts?
    Just need to get more paint now, and wait for my fans, hose and crimp pins to arrive.
    Thanks for watching!