1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JPClyde, 10 Apr 2012.

1. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Have you played that game yet? It looks really promising.

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I just launched it and the launcher just says downloading at 1kb/s. Apparently the servers are just being overloaded and this is for the 3 day early access for people who have pre-ordered. I just want to play!

3. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

Managed to log on at around 6:30am UK time. Found that pretty much every name I could think of was taken, got a character created and played for a couple of levels then went out. Came back and the servers have been down since :(

As it's only preorders able to play right now, they should have had a good idea of how many people would be logging on?

4. GeordieStew

GeordieStew Minimodder

Will see what the wife says. Thanks a lot :)

5. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I played for a few hours, got a few levels and stuff done :)

6. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Same, loving so far, dissimilar to most other MMOs where you focus on questing, I like it, although some of the random events are a bit tedious for the fourth time (But I'm too weak to walk past them) :p

7. monteur

monteur What's a Dremel?

i got it online today, had some issues with the account authentication and linking gw2 to my old gw-account due to "error 42" = server lag/overrun.... didnt even get to play jet, have to work :rolleyes:

8. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I'm really enjoying it so far. I like how its very casual and doesn't have traditional things. The public quests are great, because as long as you tag a monster you get credit for it, but at the end based on your contribution you gain more experience and rewards (gold, bronze or silver). I still remember in WoW where people would just AoE spawns to get the 1st hit tag and someone else would kill it and they would get credit.

Another thing I noticed is levels have been rather consistent, it doesn't feel like each new level gets increasingly longer. Apparently they tried to make it scale equally so by end game levels would not be dragged out.

A quick hint to people, get the tools to mine ore, cut trees and collect herbs and such, you get a small amount of xp for each time you chop a tree. It seems like a waste but a bit of free xp here and there never hurts.

The one issue I found so far is I seem to be completing all the hearts on the map too quickly and I'm either under leveled and am forced to re-do public quests a few times. It feels like I progressed a bit quickly even though I tried to do full explorations and complete all the side quests and main quest. As an aside, 100% exploration for the zones can be rewarding, you receive a large chunk of xp, some gold, and a bunch of blues. You may get lucky and find one that is actually usable. So far all my gear has been found, have yet to spend any gold on anything. I'm up to 18 or 19 as a Norn elementalist.

9. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

just got kicked from the server and upon reconnecting discovered id lost about an hours worth of progress...so im taking a "dont freak the **** out" break.

mansueto, ive noticed the same thing. ive taken to leveling my human character in the lower level areas of ascalon so that i can continue my story. ive finished all of queensdale and its left me too low a level to move to adjacent areas or continue my personal story.

also, for the love of god a-net, let us surrender or /die after becoming defeated so we dont have to wait for our characters to slowly bleed out before we can teleport back to a waypoint!

10. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I do believe they scale your level down if you are with a bunch of lower leveled players.

I hit level five only doing the starter quests once and have gone to the blacksmith for the next quest. (Norn Character)

I am starting a new character as I have changed my mind as to what I want to play.

11. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

it scales you down to the area, but the issue mansueto and i are having is that after clearing the areas that are our level, we are still too low a level for the next mission in the personal story.

12. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I guess i shouldn't continue to the next personal storyline quest. Only at level 5. Need to get my HoM items too.

13. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Is the only place we can currently get this digitally through the guildwars site itself?

14. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Pretty much, bank holiday in the UK so no delivery till Tuesday and very few places selling at at all digitally.

15. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Played all day yesterday, level 18 and a half. Fantastic so far, story quests are nice benchmarks to go for spaced out as they are and there's plenty to discover in the meantime. Something so simple as the Vistas is great fun working out and some of the random events can get to epic proportions.

Did some WvW last night to switch things up and that was a mental carnage fest, we didn't get very organised and got pushed around quite badly, it's a whole game in itself basically.

Rank 4 glory in SPvP as well, this never gets boring, loving the complete freedom with the gear and specs so that everyone has the same resources and it's about playing your class with skill.

I'm officially addicted!

16. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I will be on later this afternoon and most of this week. What server are you on Digi?

17. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

I think I spent 3 hours yesterday getting all the points of interest/vistas etc for Queensdale and Divinity's Reach, I didn't even realise how long it had taken since it was just fun to do. :)

Really love exploring in this game as there's so much beautiful art work on the maps. If you run up a mountain and look of it just looks like concept art and not a game.

18. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Going to pick this up later digitally when I get in. So...what profession and race is everyone playing?

19. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

The WvW is simply awesome.I haven't got the slightest clue how they've managed but it's smooth as silk. At one point in last nights action there was about 20 of our server defending a tower from at least 35 of one of the other two servers, then the other server turned up with 20+ all the while with 4 ballistas on the walls, a flame ram at the door and 2 catapults further out and still there was not even the vaguest hint of lag and I'm on around 4-5meg with an average ping of 40-50.

Simply amazing.

20. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

That sounds epic. Need to get home and start downloading ASAP! Anyone done a dungeon run yet? I don't know what level the contet starts from?