1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Counter-Strike: Global Offensive review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 24 Aug 2012.

1. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

Agreed on all points.
    Heh, I can visualise your disgruntlement over those three.

2. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

nope, always been engine based my man.

3. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

99% abit high.
    The one real issue I find is that matchmaking in a party sometimes joins a full server, which is stupid, and that sometimes there literally me and my 2 mates, and one other guy in a lobby then full of bots. Come on, there must be 6 other people playing CS:GO gungame at 11 on a Friday night. Also, matchmaking has a tendency to join us to servers in the US with over 200 ping...

Thank god for the community playlist browser!!!

Apart from that matchmaking hiccup, I agree, it's 90% and you should buy it. Enjoying it so far, even though me and friends are rubbish :D

4. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Come on now, let's not use little snide phrases like "my man" when you're talking nonsense.

5. mp3manager

mp3manager What's a Dremel?

'Bango bongo bish bash bosh' in a weggie accent.....almost fell outta my chair when I heard that on nuke.
    Worth the £12 for that alone.

6. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

I'd agree with this review - I've been enjoying the new CS quite a bit recently. The only thing I would qualify a 99% score with is that spraying with rifles has become almost impossible compared to CS:S, even close range. I think it would have been optimal to leave the ability to control the sprays like you could in Source, rather than have spray-recoil at the point where even pros can't effectively utilise it in their arsenal.

7. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I might be misreading your post but classic Counter Strike has always been about one life per round. Complaining about that is like having a go at Tetris because the blocks only come from one direction.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2012
  8. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

In COD, players only have one life in search and destroy, but as many as they like in others. It would be good if they had a game type where you had as many lives as you wanted.

9. Ljs

Ljs Modder

There is, it is called Death Match.

Don't own CS:GO yet so I'm not sure if it is on there but if it isn't I'm pretty sure it will be soon.

10. S1W1

S1W1 Minimodder

I've been playing a lot of CS:GO over the last week and it's certainly a fantastic game, but as a regular player of CS:S I'm not particularly excited. It's just CS:S with slightly improved graphics, a more straight-forward server selection system and gun game has been renamed arms race. Plus there are a couple of new guns and grenades, but the AWP still dominates all else ;)

I suppose CS:GO is great because they've not deviated from the original, brilliant formula- and I'd probably be the first to complain about the satanic nature of the developers if they had changed the game too much- but it just doesn't feel much different to me. Plus I was very dissapointed to see there is no ZM or ZE zombie action built into the game- although no doubt those will appear very soon from the community.

It's like a hardcore version of a sports car- it's the same car just with bigger rims, a few more horse power and slightly harder suspension. And lots of stickers and shiny new paint. But it's still much the same car at the end of the day. And since it was a great car to begin with, it's now an even better car... it's just not that exciting for someone who already drives the less sporty version of the car every day.

11. Clesm

Clesm What's a Dremel?

Looks good shame you cant actually buy it...

12. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

'Eh? It's available on Steam as of a couple days ago.

13. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

The thing with innovating Counter Strike is that it's like innovating football. You might add goal line technology, or you might change the way injury time is calculated, but you don't mess with the core. CS is like that, you refine, you don't change.

Been playing bits of it and damn, it's beautiful. So sharp compared to CoD/BF/Halo etc. It feels like you're playing a game, rather than playing a character in a game, the controls are that precise and immediate. This is the sort of immersion that I love and that has been lacking from a lot of games in recent years, that sense of oneness with the avatar, even if the world itself isn't necessarily realistic. Even without the ability to go prone or use iron sights in CSS I feel like I have more control of the character than any other game.

The format is something I've missed too. The short, fast rounds keep every match tense, especially when even a team under the kosh is just a lucky head-shot and a stolen weapon away from turning the game on it's head.

14. Clesm

Clesm What's a Dremel?

Cant find it in physical format anywhere though

15. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I dont understand how this can get 99%. Sure the visuals are better, but unless I am missing something or joining the wrong servers. The game play is worse than CSS, What happened to the silencers? What happened to the physics, the barrels dont move anymore, you cant shoot little bottles off the crates or shoot plantpots or dell computers.
    I was pretty dissapointed with CSGO, I expected improvements to the game play, not a big massive stalling of it.

16. shuffle

shuffle What's a Dremel?

Thanks Driftcarl.. comments like these get me a real review. Can you still see those chickens in the market area in Italy? I did somewhere that once you shoot someone in a round that the body doesnt disappear. Thats a cool touch. Doesnt feel clinical. (Bethesda add that in Skyrim and Fallout 4)

17. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

to be honest I havnt played much at all after the first few days,
    One thing hasnt changed, and thats the AI and pathing of the hostages, it still sucks :p
    The maps have changed, dust has an additional path up from the underpass, and in italy the cellar is gone in its original form, and no, there are no chickens anywhere to be seen.
    Havn't really played any other maps much, most of the servers that I amanged to join had dust and dust2 playing in rotation.

It was only a tenner though, I cant comment on the other modes because I havnt played them, but for me its going to be a casual game at best. I wanted to get back into joining a clan and playing in some leagues, but after playing for a few hours, its not something I want to invest my time in anymore.

18. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Why is that an issue?

Been playing this quite a bit over the past few days, and have to say it has reinvigorated my love for CS.
    However, what the hell have they did to cs_assault??

What's great is I don't feel like such a noob this time around as I did when I started on 1.5, although it is some ten years later :)

Last edited: 25 Aug 2012
  19. The Toy

The Toy The Ticking Time-Bomb

Totally agree. The thing that made CS:S nice was the crisp environments that you fought in. If you shot open the computer you could actually see the motherboard inside and a little GPU etc. That sort of attention to detail is missing from the new game, which feels rushed to me.

All of the weapons feel like plastic toys after playing BF3 or KF. The animations are poor, the characters look like hunch-back cartoons, and the movement feels like I'm on roller-skates (like L4D2). The only positive thing I have to say about the game is that the comp/casual split is nice, but had that been implemented into CS:S then this game would have nothing to offer PC gamers at all. It just seems like an unnecessary and premature addition to the CS family.

20. Lockinvar

Lockinvar What's a Dremel?

It's good. I dunno about 99% good, because it's really the same thing it's always been (and that was also very good)... But I guess when I try and think of any way to make it better I come up with nothing.

Plus I've got to love the huge influx of head-shot fodder a new iteration brings >:)

Tags: Add Tags