1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wealth & Inequality

Discussion in 'Serious' started by cjmUK, 21 Aug 2012.

1. Cutter

Cutter What's a Dremel?

Not going to happen mate.

Footballers / slebs / lottery winners - people don't have problems with them because, ultimately, their wealth is due to luck in one way or another.

The reason those who work hard for a living and reap the rewards are so despised generally is because it rubs it in the faces of all those who are just as capable, but simply lazy, of where they could be themselves if they just knuckled down a bit.

In short, people don't like to be reminded of their own failings. So much easier to rationalise it by saying "they were lucky, I could be too" rather than "they are where they are because they worked hard. I could be like that if I worked hard too".

2. Cutter

Cutter What's a Dremel?

Not sure about that. Applied to major "new" inventions, rather than incremental improvements of existing technology, I think that the reality is that these were all made by individuals, often seen as cranks / eccentrics, with the state ambivalent at best or disinterested at worst, until forced by circumstance (usually war) to support the technology.

Frank Whittle and the jet engine and the jet engine being a prime example.

A certain aristocratic lady putting up her own cash to develop what became the Spitfire when the government refused to.

Logie Baird and the TV.

A. Graham Bell and the Telephone.

And so on. Not sure they had much state sponsored help except when the state finally, was dragged kicking and screaming into the daylight to realise that "****! this is a really great bit of tech and we need it now to survive!"

Things may be different for countries other than the UK though... :D