1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Sketchup Components Collection (SCC) Discussion

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jezmck, 25 Nov 2003.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

How dare you have a life of your own to get on with! :p

Thanks, hope your leg is on the mend. :thumb:

2. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

:)

Cheers, it is. Off to see the doc again today so will know more later.

3. ZetKen

ZetKen What's a Dremel?

Hi may i know anyone have the 3d model of lian li t60 test bench? =D

4. exexs

exexs What's a Dremel?

:clap:
    Many thanks for the components!
    It has been very useful for me!

5. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

6. asura

asura jack of all trades

A very interesting choice; not selling it to any of the existing CAD/CADCAM/CAAD/etcetera but to a "positioning" company. Seems like their idea of a fully SketchUp mapped earth appealed to Trimble, and I can understand why. Since they're taking on the original development team I can't see that the program handling will deviate wildly.

Having used SketchUp on and off (mostly off) since about v3 or v4 I've seen it slowly develop, but not much has changed under the hood, maybe we'll see a Linux version (hah!) then I'll be only one step away from ditching Windows - Vectorworks...

I think a modular system would be the way to go. A free core program, of basically what we have today, then purchasable add-ons allowing individuals/businesses to tailor their own SketchUp. I'd like the core, a paper-space, nurbs curves, line weights and colours, oh and half a dozen other things :p

7. Fonne

Fonne What's a Dremel?

Is really a noob to use Sketchup, so is there any that can help me by measuring the total height of the Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe ITX ?

http://scc.jezmckean.com/cat/20

From the bottom of the PCB, to the top of the VRM board ...

8. Spotswood

Spotswood Custom PC case builder

~42.2mm

9. Fonne

Fonne What's a Dremel?

10. Ron-ski

Ron-ski What's a Dremel?

Anyone modelling an NZXT Switch 810 ?

11. cronicash

cronicash What's a Dremel?

12. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

OMG, of course it's worthy! Amazing.

13. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

can anybody help, i am looking for a sketchup model of the corsair 300r?

14. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

Which parts in the collection is actually accurate? I need precision models for a build I'm planning.

Also If anyone knows where I can get some "blueprints" of different pc parts? Preferably in metric measurements.

15. asura

asura jack of all trades

I've found that accuracy varies between mediocre and high. A good number of manufacturers of parts quote dimensions - normally only outer - which can provide a quick and easy check. Personally all my smaller models were measured using a digital calliper with an accuracy of 0.01m, anything bigger than about 150mm but less than 300mm would be measured using a ruler to an accuracy of 0.25mm and anything bigger than 300mm would be measured using a tape measure to an accuracy of 2-3mm.

Any measured model will have the measuring instrument err +human err both in the measuring and in inputting the data.

Subetc did a schematic of different mother board and PCI sizes and layout which are to formfactor.org's spec so accurate to +/-0mm.

16. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

I've also found that most items accuracy is reasonably good, but some parts is just way off. Not fun when you're planning a case where size being kept to the absolute minimum is the goal.

I'm personally working on a HTPC case that packs a hell of a lot more HDD than you would expect when looking at it. More like a HTPS (Personal Server) actually.

Has anyone ever considered hosting a site for accurate SU models? Something that at least comes close to formfactor.org's spec? That would have been great, at least for components (HDD's, CD-roms, fans etc) and those who plan scratch built cases.

17. asura

asura jack of all trades

HDD: a box 25.4x147x101.6.
    CD/DVD/BR: a box 146x170x41
    120mm fan: a box 119x119x25
    140mm fan: a box 139x139x25/35

Anything else I can help with?

A decent amount of the SCC is showing what we can do with SketchUp. Is it necessary to show the fan blades? No it is not, but it looks cooler - if you're just using it as an outline planning tool then it doesn't have to look pretty it just has to be accurate. If you're using it for one of the many design competitions there have been, then it has to look pretty, but it doesn't matter if it's a few mills out.

Perhaps it would be best to go through the SCC and update/correct any models that are inaccurate. But with a ba'hair under six-hundred items it'd be quite a long job.

18. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

The original intent was indeed to have accurate models for planning internal layouts.

19. Spotswood

Spotswood Custom PC case builder

20. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

Exactly, for me who like to plan scratch built cases, accuracy is more important than looks.
    Maybe new models specifically designed to be accurate could go in a separate section.

Perhaps a "Form Factors Spec" section is a good idea. Where parts size accuracy is more important than looks. A section where parts is 1mm +/- accurate.