1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other DSL or Wimax

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [KNIGHT], 28 Aug 2012.

1. [KNIGHT]

[KNIGHT] What's a Dremel?

I have been using an ADSL connection for a few years. But because of a Fair Usage Policy applied on that package i am bit reluctant to continue using that service. I was looking at other ISPs in the country and found only 1 who provides an internet plan with an unlimited download capacity and no FUP at all. But that ISP provides only Wimax connections for fixed broadband plans According to their website, their technology is Wimax 802.16 -2004 (IEEE 802.16d)

I have heard people saying that Wimax connections are not as good as DSL connections. Some say that the ping of Wimax connections are too high for online gaming. Is it true?

I will be using it mainly for downloads, internet surfing & multiplayer gaming

So what do you think i should do? Continue DSL or move onto Wimax? (I am not asking you to compare plans offered. But to compare technology and share your opinion)

2. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Since WiMax operates off wireless/radio I would expect it to have more latency over ADSL.
    That's all I know, nothing concrete.

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

We got a wimax connection in my office, and are currently getting a fibre lease line fitted.

there is about 50 people here who use the connection and the wimax is getting a bit long in the tooth and its very expensive to get a better connection via that means.

Wimax imo is not as good as DSL, connection here never seems to go down but its costly for what it is (sorry I kno you said you didnt want to hear about prices) and gets high ping times and is generally not as good as dsl, if you can get a good dsl connection, then imo thats better than a bad wimax connection.

4. [KNIGHT]

[KNIGHT] What's a Dremel?

So a Wimax connection is not so good for online gaming?

5. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

WiMax is not so good for gaming because of the increased latency = higher ping times.