1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft sets Windows 8 upgrade pricing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 30 Aug 2012.

1. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Ouch - Still expensive for an Operating System ;)

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Are you high? That's a bargain.

How much are the standalone versions?

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Much more than my last Debian upgrade cost... :D

4. Fire Strike

Fire Strike What's a Dremel?

"Microosft's" Spelling mistake maybe?

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Can't see me upgrading even at that price, very happy with Win7.

6. Platinum

Platinum What's a Dremel?

Other than OEM there are no standalone versions.

7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I'm assuming that since I'm considering this and an SSD at the same time, i'd need to install W7 on the SSD, and then install W8 on it?

The price is good, but shame it's not an OEM version price. I wonder what that will be.

8. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

There will be a system builder edition (like OEM) for as "ms" put it PC's with no O.S. or for dual booting etc. But no price as yet.

You can do a clean install from the upgrade disc (format etc) but it only works if it finds a valid older windows install already on the system, with a new HDD or ssd you would have to install and activate an older OS first.

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

9. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

I hear this every time there's a new version, but I think I might just be done with PC's. The android phone and tablet give me good enough gaming, access to applications that do what I want, and more and more of what I want is moving to the cloud anyway. I do feel a little silly booting up my PC just to play WoT...

10. rollo

rollo Modder

for £25 i think most will consider the upgrade

and its a bargain compared to what windows 7 cost.

11. adidan

About £40 IIRC when I preordered mine. Well worth it.

If you have a lappy or some ailing pc with XP though I can see W8 being appearling at this price.

12. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

good enough gaming? really?

anyways i bet you're in the minority on this site..

13. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

No it's not, it's just cheap compared to what Microsoft have customarily charged. Things have moved on from when MS could charge £100+ for an OS and expect a lot of people to upgrade at that cost.

Linux is free. Android is free. iOS is free. Chrome OS is free. Software updates to consoles are free.

We're all used to getting updates to our free 'Operating Systems' and let's not even mention the free software and web-applications we use daily (Chrome, Firefox, Google et-al)

Now assuming you want a 'normal' desktop experience (and aren't sadomasochistic enough to go with Linux) you either stick with windows or you make the switch to a Mac...

Where Apple currently charges £14 for Mountain Lion, and offered free upgrades if you bought a Mac just before the new OS was released. Okay, ML was a relatively small upgrade but you can still upgrade a 3 year old mac to the latest OS for a lot less than you can upgrade a three year old PC.

It's just a shame that if you want a Mac and still want to run windows software you have to pay up twice.

£25 aint' bad for windows, but like so many I'm not going to be spending £50 to update my two windows installs when I have absolutely zero reason to do so, as for me windows is a purely a launcher for XBMC or once or twice a month a game or two.

I think I'll....

Microsoft Windows 8
    MS Windows 8
    Windows 8
    Win 8
    W 8
    W8
    Wait.

14. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

There's no pleasing some people...£25 is peanuts for an operating system. I spent that last night on Vodka that lasted about 3 hours. I'll get, what, 3 years of use out of Windows 8? For £25 it's a bargain.

Instead of running your XBMC setup on Windows (and then grumbling about the upgrade cost) why don't you move over to XBMCbuntu...it's superb for what you're doing with it, i.e., only using it as a launcher for XBMC :)

15. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

If I could run a fresh install without having to load windows 7 first I would buy it...

It is perverse that you can not do that - why not let you run windows 8 on a fresh drive and then just put in your windows 7 key followed by your new windows 8 key?

It makes life difficult just for the sake of it, so they can kiss my as*.

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

hmm I wonder if I can just use a windows 7 key being used on another system and temp install it on a new system and then use the upgrade to replace the win7 key with the win8 upgrade key? this would be a nice way to save some money

17. TickleOnTheTum

TickleOnTheTum What's a Dremel?

The pricing is very good (especially for MS)! However, as a Windows 7 64-bit Desktop user I can't see any must have reason to 'upgrade'. I tried and got rid of a desktop touch screen as I found it impractical (they are great on tablets). I think the new 'ModernUI' look is horrible, and as I only have one PC with one a <7Mb Internet connection so I just can't get excited about Windows 8... There just doesn't seem to be enough to justify paying for it?!

This seems to be the big problem with Windows 8... it lacks a killer feature. Touch screens are not popular with desktop users, the user interface while tweaked is nothing revolutionary. It offers virtually nothing over Windows 7, and most people (and companies) I know are more than happy with Windows 7 (some even with XP), as it does what they need it to do. Most UK companies turn off all the bells and whistles anyway! Home users don't get anything new to rave about... so it's a tiny bit faster here and there, but so what?! It doesn't boost your gaming speed or skill by 400%, it doesn't make your programs load 3 hours faster, and it doesn't do the washing up!

Windows 8 is more like an update to Windows 7 as far as Desktop Users are concerned, and as such would need to be virtually free to attract consumers! To me going from Windows 7 x64 Pro to Windows 8 x64 Pro is worth about £10 at most!

So I will be sticking with Windows 7 for the foreseeable future.

I still stick by my prediction:

18. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

Well, it's more affordable, but I'm still not sure if I can afford it.

If I can, I feel this will drive the KDE community to finish the Windows port.

19. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I wonder if those 40 USD/25 GBP will translate into 50 EUR or so. Just because us mainland Europeans _always_ love to pay that extra bit more.

Ah well. It's a moot point for me anyway, since "the UI commonly referred to as the UI formerly known as Metro" and what that begets is the ultimate dealbreaker for me.

20. adidan

Good point, I happened to look over a few adverts when I was in Finland last week and was surprised to see how expensive laptops, pcs and mobiles still are over there.

Even Nokia phones ffs!