1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Omega Desk - [26 January] Project Complete!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Squigly, 20 May 2012.

?

Pump orientation, facing forward or facing backwards?

1. Pumps facing backward

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. Pumps facing forward

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Thanks bud, you dont use the center one as intake??

Thanks Wayne, much appreciated!!

lolz, yup does have a certain something something to it, breaking warranty's like that :)

Well its been a beeatch of a week, and as much as i was looking forward to getting some work done the energy just wasn't there today.. so not much of an update..

I really wanted to focus on the screens today, so took 2 of them into the workshop and got them stripped down, took all the measurements i needed and got the first piece of aluminum profile cut to size.. again... think this is the 3rd time im making these things! Anyways.. if it is to be done it should be done right!! over the past few weeks while playing around with ideas for the screens i noticed the one monitor had these mounting holes that weren't being used...
    [​IMG]

and since the other frames I made joined in the corner and kept popping I thought why not move the join to between these two mounting points...
    [​IMG]

Worked out really well, will still need to fill in the corners and maybe still try a gentle weld on the seam to make it a single piece for aesthetic purposes.. but still the plan worked.. now the other monitor doesn't have the exact mounting holes but does have some.. so will try the same with that monitor.
    [​IMG]

Since i had the front frame done i started working on some of the other profile pieces that would allow me to join the front frame to the back. I needed to machine some of the profile away to make way for some of the internals
    [​IMG]

When I started to put the rivnuts in it warped the profile... they a little to thin.. back to slamming my head into the wall..... I had planned to make area for the power supply to mount in (the boxy area of the monitor at the back).. but one of my monitors doesn't have the power supply board, it has a external power pack... so that got me thinking of possibly moving the power board out of the monitor (yes would need to extend some connections) and place the board in the back section of the desk where the power supply etc will be housed... there is still plenty of room back there and it would make the overall monitor case much slimmer and simpler to construct.. I also though of using pop rivets instead of rivnuts as I wouldn't be needing to open and close the screen case.. so.. long story short i have put the screen case on hold.. again.. to see if i can work out the wiring, the rest should be fairly simple to complete now that i am using the mounting holes.

So after much swearing and a few smokes I decided to work on the io plate since the scoll saw blade broke last week (took some spares with today) The pieces are still rough and need to be glued and filed uniformly and cleaned etc.. but just got the stuff rough cut so i can work on it during the week.. A BIG shout out to Waynio for the idea here.. sheer brilliance!!
    I didnt have any 10mm plexi but ddi have some 5mm scrap from the front window, so cut to sections from that that will be glued together
    [​IMG]

this is the back plate that normally has the mounting holes for the case and the plexi
    [​IMG]

Then the top aluminium plate with the card spacers etc.
    [​IMG]

As an illustration stuck a shield on to check spacing, clearance is good and once the plexi is glue i can drill and tap it for the card mounting holes
    [​IMG]

Thanks for checkin in, hopefully a better update next week :rock:

2. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Oops sorry man, just use the bottom one on the back as outlet.
    Use either the top or middle one on the back as inlet. If you use the top one you will probably be able to see it running at a low speed. :)

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

really cant wait to see this finished, its awesome, just wish I had the skills, and access to the equipment, lol

4. Squigly

Hmmm good idea, i will play around to see what works best, thanks for the heads up bud :thumb::rock:

Much appreciated Rich, things have slowed somewhat and i need to get back at it!!

Another small update

picked up some 10mm plexi this week so i could finished off the io plate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im thinking of leaving the plexi misted as it diffuses the light better, this photo really doesn't show it.. but you get the idea
    [​IMG]

like a dumba** i left my phone at home this morning so didnt get any snaps of the other progress, but managed to get the mobo mountings completed and did a test fit, then test fitted with the io shield aswell. but that was about it for today.. I have ordered some of the remaining parts so will hopefully get those this coming week for a better update next week.

Thanks again for checkin in

5. Squigly

Gotta luv my wife.. sitting here at work minding my business and she decides to send me this pic... :wallbash:

[​IMG]

now to sit staring at the clock till i get to go wrip it open to see the new goodies.. will upload pics SOONEST!!

6. KNova

KNova What's a Dremel?

Nice work man !

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Monitor casings are looking saaaweeeet & the IO piece looks awesome dude :rock:

And bet you can't wait to finish work for what's in the box. :hehe:

8. Squigly

Thanks KNova, much appreciated bud

Always good to hear from you Wayne, and credit where credit is due bud, the IO plate is pure inspiration from yours mate :rock::thumb:

Well, got home and dug straight into it :D aaaaaaaaahhhhh paaacking peeeanuts..
    [​IMG]

right on with it!!

[​IMG]

So there is a fair bit there, and its a really crappy photo (sorry)
    But in short there is:
    Phobya 1080 radiator (i knew it was big.. but WOW)
    8 by 180mm fans for the rad and will be in push pull
    2 coolant temperature sensors and screens
    flow meter and frequency adapter
    a bunch of sata extensions (7)
    some switches
    extra tim pads
    some UV reactive 3mm plexi (blue) for the SSD mounts I will be making
    oh and a IO shield just in case.. but since i am really happy with how mine turned out... that will stay in the box :rock:

So now I can get started on the mounting plates for the rad and fans as well as getting the flow meter etc mounted... basically just more stuff to distract me from finishing the screen cases :wallbash:

all in good time.... all in good time.. for now.. back to playin with the new goodies :lol:

9. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

oo pretty goodies!

awesome work so far dude!

10. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

So much goodness in one box :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:
    Can't wait to see it all fitted in the desk !

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Sweet kit & that's a big rad, :D did you make the IO piece after ordering this one or for emergency backup?. :)

Ah, never mind, you already said just in case. :D

12. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

That box didn't look that big. At first i thought it was just a couple of things, or one rather large item, but so many goodies :D

13. Jrule2

Jrule2 What's a Dremel?

Been following this build since the start and I must say, you have done an amazing job mate :)
    Especially considering how difficult I've found it to get some serious work done on my own desk build :p

Can't wait to see some hardware thrown in!

14. Squigly

Thanks Editor, much appreciated

likewise!! slowly getting in there though!

I ordered it after the first IO failed, but then decided to give it another go while i had already ordered this one, but glad i dont need to use it :thumb:

lolz.. Mary Poppins boxes.. gotta luv em!

Thanks Jrule, setting aside time to get stuck in really does get difficult, and working on this 1 day a week has really drawn it out, wouldn't mind just taking a week off and getting stuck into it!!

Managed to get a little progress done today, but the little task's seem to be taking a fair bit of time. So on with it!!

Started off positioning the screens for the coolant temperature sensor screens
    [​IMG]

There will be 2 sensors, monitoring temps pre & post radiotor
    [​IMG]

Got both holes cleaned off
    [​IMG]

Fitting perfectly snug, may take a little more of as a few layers of paint may make this to tight a fit later.
    [​IMG]

The it was time to start the fan mounting plates for the rad
    [​IMG]

Had made up a template during the week and check positioning,
    [​IMG]

First area cut...
    [​IMG]

fast forward a bit.. all cut and ready for mounting holes
    [​IMG]

Punched, drilled and tapped the holes
    [​IMG]

moment of truth.. see if all fans aligned to holes... happiness!!! :rock:
    [​IMG]

and the other side...
    [​IMG]

the test fitted on the rad.
    [​IMG]

and a quick check to see how it aligns to the mesh panels, think i will add some hex mesh in the main S3 area as its still fairly open.
    [​IMG]

So that was one down, still need to make another for the fans on the other side of the rad. but decided to start working on the hinges for the screens, Got some aluminium billet dilivered during the week
    [​IMG]

and the start of the mill work, this is going to take some time... really been looking at those little desktop CNC milling kits.... this project may just push me to getting one :D (like i really needs a excuse for more toys)
    [​IMG]

well, thats about it for this week, will try get the other fan mounting plate done during the week at home so i can test mount the rad, should hopefully be getting the final components needed this coming week so i can start getting the copper tube cut to size and bent, will need to then send those for nickel plating..

Thanks for stoppin by to check in
    Squigly out!

15. Squigly

final water cooling components were delivered this week :rock:

[​IMG]

got to the workshop rearing to go this morning, was busy the whole day but didn't seem to get much done.. Anyways on with the update.

Started off by placing some of the fittings on the filter and res in prep for working on the pipes
    [​IMG]

Also got the stands for the dual head sorted, had to cut the one support off each stand
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But since both the bitspower 655 mod kit and the dual top are so puurdy it led me to a dilemma.. pumps faceing back.. or forwards... what do you guys think??

Pumps forward??
    [​IMG]

pumps backward??
    [​IMG]

this will of course affect how i run the tubing..

Also got the flow meter positioned ready for tubing..
    [​IMG]

So then to get some of the tubing done. Had picked up this pipe bender a few weeks back so was happy it was finally getting some use
    [​IMG]

pretty much only got this single piece finished off and of course forgot to take a pic of it completed.. but still it gives the idea
    [​IMG]

Since i was still undecided on the pump rotation i left the rest of the tubing and finished off the 2nd fan mounting plate, got all the fans mounted and then mounted them both to the rad :thumb:
    [​IMG]

then mounted the rad to the outside grill plate, was a bit worried at first but it held up really well, of course filling it with water may prove different.
    [​IMG]

then re-mounted the plate.
    [​IMG]

checked alignment with the back grill.. and puuurfect![​IMG]

Right so with the rad mounted I got working on the fill port holes, 2 ports from rear section into the leg for the rad
    [​IMG]

and 2 from the front to the rear section
    [​IMG]

That was about it for today, doing the pipe really took some time as i had to get the lengths exact and was filing little by little till it fit just right, as mentioned before the copper tube will be nickel plated once all done.

Let em know what you guys thing of pumps backwards or forwards.. I have been going back and forth between the two and still dont know which I prefer....:wallbash:

16. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Oh god that radiator, I want it so badly!
    I think both pump positions look good so I would just pick what ever looks best with tubing.

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I'd have difficulty deciding which way forward too with them both looking good :D, have you tried sideways or even making a little mirror panel behind it, in fact that's what I'd do.
    Like this with a little frame to keep it separate from the rest not needing a full back panel mirror.
    [​IMG]

Why choose 1 side when you can have both. :D

If it's a bad idea just lol at it, I just woke up lol. :lol:

To be honest I'd be so tempted to do the whole back panel as a mirror, would look soooo wicked, :D

Last edited: 15 Sep 2012
  18. Squigly

Thanks bud, well the tubing is 11mm copper pipe so unfortunately not that easy to do both.. but may end up doing it if i have enough to see which i prefer.

rofl!! Wayne you are spot on mate, i had already played with the idea of changing the whole back to a mirror, i thought of a super shiny chrome, or even a proper glass mirror, that was before i had even ordered the stuff.. now that its here its even harder to choose, I also tinkered with a side layout but dont really have the spacing for it.. but.. i do kinda like that framed mirror..

The plan is to spray the panels with 2k automotive paint, and if i take my time with it and do it properly it should have a mirror finish to it (cringes at the thought of the amount of sanding that will be needed).. but the question would still stand.. cos then its what side do I reflect :wallbash: :lol: :lol: I must have spent a good hour swapping it back and forth today.. ahh well will only get to it next weekend so will sleep on it and let it torment me a little more :hehe:

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Ah I forgot how good of a mirror finish is possible with paint :D but with a reflective panel just pick the coolest side, probably the pump top side where you see the water running through it. :D

This is gonna look sooooo sweet. :D

20. Squigly

Thanks bud, itching to get some paint on this thing already.. all in good time!

Ok so did some quick overlays to show how the different orientations will affect the pipe layout, now keep in mind the back wall will be high gloss back (very reflective) and the pipes will be nickel plated so also shiny and schmexy.

pumps forward, the pipes will need to pass over each other.. no so keen on this.
    [​IMG]

pumps back, more alignment with the left side of the case..
    [​IMG]

now while yes the pump covers will sort of match the res on the left you also have the liquid that is visable in the res, so with the pumps facing forwards you get the casing match, whereas pumps back you get the liquid match... and liquid is also seen in both the filter and the flow meter in the center.. im leaning towards pumps back..