1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The Mineral Oil PC - 3/24/2011 - More leaks :(

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by legoman666, 29 Jan 2009.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Everything is true, for a given value of "true" --Terry Pratchett

"Opinions are like assholes: everyone has one and everyone's stinks" --Anon. (attributed to US Marines)

"The only way to tell the truth is to speak with kindness. Only the words of a loving man can be heard" --Henry David Thoreau

On Bit-Tech, nobody gets rep points for acting like an asshole. If this is how you intend to contribute, M77Z, you may as well leave now.

2. M77Z

M77Z Banned

I could give a rats a$$ for your fan boy rep points Nexxo. The fact that I pointed out that this entire build was a flop all you guys did was rush in and flame me without regard to the fact that everything I said was true and accurate! Also, to note, I added in my second post how you properly R&D such an expensive and time consuming endeavor such as this.

The fact that you allow such biased behavior from your members truly shows what type of forum this is. No need to reply to this as I will never come back again to a forum that is ran by mongrels and is attended by children with glass egos.

"The only way to tell the truth is to speak with kindness. Only the words of a loving man can be heard" --Henry David Thoreau BTW, this douche bag was a hippie anarchist, fitting for one such as yourself.

3. Nexxo

Don't bother closing the door on the way out; I'll do that for you.

4. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

5. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

I rarely comment on these kind of things, but this is just sad, oh well he's gone now anyway...

6. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

If someone has been working 16 years with engineers and still not being able to tell the difference between a fully fledged R&D engineering project and a mod. Then It's pretty clear this wasn't the right forum for him, but he also discovered that himself.

Anyway, Awsome project Legoman.
    So.. how did it go, any updates?
    Did you get it all back and working and did you solve the bowing of the tank problem?

7. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

It really is people like that who ruin these forums!

So what is he has more experience in RnD, these mods are all about learning and developing your knowledge. There is an infinite amount of research and development you could do but if you did this you'd never get anything done.

I think the mod is amazing and informational for the next person who wants to try this. It's a fantastic work log that almost reads like a story. Congrats on the work and good bye to him: :thumb:

8. Nexxo

What M77Z forgot to consider is that this mod is the research and development. It's a prototype: a working concept by which you discover all the unforeseen problems and pitfalls and learn how to address them in the next build. Modding always happens on the cutting edge.

9. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Modding is the cutting edge :thumb:

It's builds like this that push the boundaries of what we can do. The next person who looks for an idea similar to this will see the pitfalls and also the triumphs. He obviously has never experiences a propper mod of his own and the feeling you get both when you encounter an issue but when something goes to plan. Its brilliant.

10. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

bummer on the leaks, Oil..real shame. Next case Thick Glass.. and a reinforced table.. held to gether with Girders

11. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Just wanted to make shure i wasn't missunderstood.
    I totally agree, this is R&D for shure and the best kind of it aswell. The companys have money and resourses to spend compared to a single individual. But solving problems and creating stuff from the materials and tools you have on your own will really give your creative mind a boost. The personal development you get from doing it all by your self is the best part. There are loads of engineers out there who are really good at what they do in theory but if you were to give them a screwdriver, they wouldnt know how to handle it. Its so sad that some people dont seem to see the learning involved in a project and sometimes tries to kill the motivation. So its greate to see there is action against that.

greate.. im hooked on oil now, I have to add oilpc to my todo list..

12. Theace26

Theace26 What's a Dremel?

Update?

I've read through your post on this build. I want to give you kudos!! Really awesome build!

I do want to ask your for an update on the system. Solve the most current leak? Is the oil interacting with the plastic in an unforeseen way?

Legomann, i hope you will consider updating us here, because i am very interested in doing this to my system as well, and this posting has been by far one of the most informative. Especically the issue with the rubber on the underside of the caps, i have the same MB except mine is for AMD.
    I was very interested in doing a water cooled system, but a submersion system really seems to much more cost effective and fun to build.

13. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

The case never failed after the last. However, the PSU or mobo died more than a year ago and I never fixed it. I ended up parting out the PC. The case is sitting in my parent's garage collecting dust. If anyone was interested in local pickup in 45252, you're welcome to have it for like $200.

Thanks for reading!

14. fluffysheap

fluffysheap What's a Dremel?

I realize the project is effectively over, but wondering why you had so many problems with material incompatibility and Puget Systems doesn't seem to...

Did you use transformer oil for the entire project or did you ever switch to the medical grade oil? The reason I ask is that there are actually four kinds of mineral oil with slight chemical differences: paraffinic, napthenic, aromatic, and polycyclic aromatic. Paraffinic, which is the food & medical grade, has the widest material compatibility, but I believe transformer oil can contain up to 10% aromatic/polycyclic, which is much more troublesome.

I just can't think of anything other than aromatic oil that would cause your wire insulation to dissolve, or your tubing to deteriorate especially since Puget didn't have these problems. (Viton tubing is resistant to aromatics, but some Tygon tubing is not). Actually, do you know the exact kind of Tygon tubing you used originally? Aromatic oil is also much worse for silicone.

Anyway, if you happened to know exactly what was in your mineral oil, that might help unravel the mystery, or at least give a little more information to someone who might be considering a similar project! (*cough*) :)

[edit: I see earlier in the thread it that the oil is Shell Diala AX. I couldn't find exact info on what the proportion of aromatics is, but I bet it's around 7% aromatic and 0.5% polycyclic, based on the specified properties of the oil.]

Last edited: 9 Nov 2012
  15. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Just stumbled across this build log. Awesome. I'm just gutted for you that it wasn't quite the success you were hoping for. These sort of mods are epic, and what this sort of thing is all about.

16. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis What's a Dremel?

I am starting a submersed build now and I want to thank the OP for his awesome worklog. I purchased 16 gallons of the same exact stuff Puget Systems uses and will be filling my tank today for a weekend leak test to see how the mineral oil impacts the tank.

17. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

Thanks everyone! I'll have you know that having a plastic tank full of 8-10 gallons of oil in your house is a huge source of anxiety. I was constantly worried that I'd come home to find oil everywhere. The smell would have never gone away, whatever flooring underneath would have been ruined and any ceilings under the floor would have been ruined too.

Use protection, use a drip pan. Large cake sheets from restaurant supply stores look decent.

18. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

M77Z
    Banned
    thank you for swingin that big ol' ban hammer on the spoiled runt... Oh, im sorry did i say that out loud?

some people forget that his is something called a hobby and people actually need to spend money on things like clothes and food. if ur gonna have two 690s in a build alls ya need is a couple o' 680s oc'ed to produce the same heat and have a similarly performing cooler... maybe not MIT accurate but why the heck would it need to be? smarta$$ has been told but i figured i make his pathetic argument invalid should he look at this again which he undoubtedly will...

either way, this started out made of awesomeness and still is! :rock: :dremel: the cool is strong with this one...

19. HobbieZones.com

HobbieZones.com What's a Dremel?

Yes very nice build log and the info gain was very well worth it.

For years wanted to do Water cooling that must of taken 5 years till they made Fluidxp that was it and made a HUGE pc case for the Rad.

Also understand very much what your saying leaks have never had any drop of coolent leak yet so the OIL pc case yes it works but just one small mistake and WOW you got a mess.

The key is work with TOP grade stuff and even then keep a good eye on things.

In till they make Fanless video cards and cpu's going fanless on water cooling is GREAT just get a BIG rad then your all set and should of done it years ago.