1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JPClyde, 10 Apr 2012.

1. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

I decided to pick up GW2 to play while waiting for Rift expansion and I am having a lot of fun. Fighting is fast paced and I am endlessly rolling around to avoid stuff. Lvling is crazy fast, I am lvl 36 and I have only done my 1-17 and 15-25 area. I keep getting distracted by resource farming and between gathering xp, killing stuff in my way and all the events I am racing along.

I hate the damn POI, Vista etc. in areas...it's too darn addicting! I can't go anywhere without wanting to complete the area!

Biggest issue I hav is that when I play Rift I keep double tapping to roll and pressing F to loot!

Did anyone else find the Asuran area reall boring? I tried a Guardian thereand found the story boring and the zone - the Human area is so much better

2. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Did AC with four other punks, was great fun and we seemed to get in alright. They are all lvl 50+ and I am still at around 30 but still great fun and didnt feel too weak in comparison.

Having a guild with a few different people doing different crafting disciplines is definatley handy

3. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Considering the only advantage they'd have over you is 20 trait points and a few stat points due to the downscaling I'm not surprised :p The biggest challenge I had with AC was realising that no one was gonna heal me to full all the time and I really shouldn't aggro the world for kicks.

4. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

WvW with a good group is awesome. I love how with co-ordination and strategy our 1 zerg group of 30-40 was able to overtake another zerg group that was roughly 60-70. We were defending and our entire group was on vent as we're a guild. I really like how its more skill based than spamming which gives WvW a lot of depth. Couple great strategies is hugging walls and just taking out all the trebouchets, cannons, arrow carts and balistas. Once all the siege is down its very easy to bleed towers out of supply and taking them. The problem most pug groups have is no one really takes charge to command the group so you essentially have a group of chickens with their heads cut off. They'll just chase any defenders endlessly, focus the gate or build rams when they should be taking out enemy siege and such. It makes WvW so entertaining since its more than a "tank and spank". You need to be involved and moving and being strategic by cutting off enemy supplies, backing them into corners, etc.

I may have a very biased opinion, I'm in love with the game.

5. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I have get to play WvW and being such a low level isn't the best idea. Level 18 at the moment. Really haven't played all that much.

Put more time into Guild Wars just doing things on my own.

Last thing I did with my guild was spank a mission I needed to dpi the bonus on.

6. mansueto

I would avoid WvW until you're level 30 and have your elite skills unlocked. I know as an elementalist, the cyclone is amazing in WvW in small choke points. Rush in, use it, start knocking everyone down while your group just AoE's the other team. They can't attack if they're constantly being knocked down and it can be a big game changer. Also when people are invading on tower walls you can knock them off the walls or cliffs. One of the funnest things I've done in WvW with a friend is stun locking people and pushing them towards cliffs and such, and knocking them off. They'll just fall to their death!

7. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Just completed Arah story mode (the level 80 dungeon where you fight Zhaitan)

Spoilers:

It's a fun dungeon, with you manning several airships, but the actual fight with zhaitan is a major, major dissapointment, he's clinging to the side of a tower, and you just blast him with cannons until he dies (he doesn't even fight back or anything)

8. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

We were rocking a wonderful tactic in WvW last night.
    1. Be holding a tower or keep (probably safer to do this with a tower as it can be risky)
    2. Everyone stays inside and on the ground level, dont be sniping from the battlements.
    3. Actually allow them to bring the gate down.
    4. Unleash the mother and father of all AoE spams as they rush in.

I was certainly racking the kills up :D

Also managed a run through Caudecus Mansion and Twlight Arbor yesterday, just the story modes. Mansion is really cool but painfully easy and Twilight is also nicely done with some clever fights. Can't wait to hit exploration.

9. mansueto

I just switched to staff with my elementalist and the extra range and utility is nice, even though I find my burst isn't as large. Air is great for tagging many targets with the chain lightning type skill than I just swap to water or fire to either dps and AoE or heal and cause vulnerability. Find I have a bit more survivability and utility for the team.

I'm also tempted to roll a ranger. I feel that melee have a large disadvantage in WvW, and rangers can wear medium armor so I can wear an awesome pirate hat!

10. Harty

Harty What's a Dremel?

So I managed to pick up GW2 on launch, which is good. The bad news is, I'm stuck with a laptop which only has Intel HD 3000 until I manage to build my new rig, and I average 10 fps. I could cry.

11. mansueto

Has anyone hit 80 and tried WvW, few people are saying being 80 is much better in WvW vs say 50 or 60. I guess a combination of gear and not being normalized makes it better?

12. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I hit 61 today, going back in for a few hours and hope to get 65. It's near impossible to get in to WvW on Desolation, queueing for hours. My mate had foreseen this problem but I nay-sayed him. :( It's because it will only let as many people in as there is on the server with the least players joined up. Thus a over-popped server like desolation simply can't have as many on due to the other servers not signing up with as many..

13. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Gratz on getting 60 plus! Im about to ding level 30 :) in anticipation of doing my first dungeon (AC I belive) I have joined a guild as this seemed as good a time as ever. Hopefully it will make it easier/better to do the AC run and give a chance to meet some new people

14. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Curretly 38 Ellemenatlist here. Havtn done the AC dungeon yet, havnt gone near that area at all.

WvW is really fun but the sPvP asa pub is rather tiring after a afew games in a row. Without a made up team its just run around and kill ppl, not much strat stuff going on.

Just running pve stuff mostly.

Finding that completing a story segment gets me 25% current level xp so pushing thru those leveling up whilst progressing zones.

Skipping full zone clears for now as I dont want ot get bulked down in single areas to long. COmpleted my starter zone, but wont cmoplete the rest till the latter levels when 10% xp is alot more than now.

Game is alot of fun.

15. Digi

Thanks! :) I finished on level 66 last night - damn game has me hooked! What server were you on btw? You should have joined 'my' guild if you were on desolation..

I would recommend getting to at least 40 before doing AC if I were you, it makes life a whole lot easier with more skills, traits and gear. The instance is a lot of fun though!

16. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Ok cool I will hold out till 40 to do the instance. I'm not in a rush anyway as there is plenty to do in the game and I'm enjoying all of it :) I'm on Auroua Glade server unfortunatly otherwise I would of joined you - thanks for the offer :) perhaps I'll do a server transfer :worried:

17. James'Mods

James'Mods Mad Man Modder

I think it's overpriced. :jawdrop:

18. Digi

This debate will rage on but if you buy the standard edition for 50 quid - consider it has no monthly fee for a start - and play for hundreds of hours, potentially thousands if you are a full-time MMO'er, then that's money well spent in my opinion. It's money well spent regardless for this gem of a game tbh.

19. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

The same can be said about many games, Myself and many other Bit tech members bought Battlefield 3 and Premium bumping up the total cost to £80 if bought without the using cheaper India discount at the time. I know I didnt use it.

And the 700 odd hours has made it worthwhile even before the latest DLC.

I havent put much time into Guild Wars 2 though I plan on doing so.

Wish I could meet up with my old Guild but we are spread out at the moment.

Might be changing home server if it's still free.

20. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

I couldn't disagree more! It's completely personal opinion though, but coming from spending a monthly fee on RIFT for nearly a year, its refreshing to see a game with such content and enjoyment (to me at least) from the get go. It works quite well also for those who enjoy the MMO style game, but are unable to put as much time in as they would like to and ultimately miss out on a title as they wouldn't want to waste money.

Thinking about when i used to buy console games - were they not nearly £50 a pop at times? Im sure to get many many more hours out of GW2 than any console game I ever bought.

Anyway,

Hows everyone getting on with their crafting? I did a little bit in the beginning but it has kind of taken a back seat now. I keep farming mats so at a suitable time I will use them all up in the best possible way.