1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice 650w PSU - The choices...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stonedScientist, 11 Sep 2012.

1. stonedScientist

stonedScientist What's a Dremel?

Right so I'm basing a build off the Enthusiast spec of August's guide.

Spec
    Fractal Arc Midi
    I5 3570k
    Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
    1tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Arctic Cooling i30
    Future additions
    Adding a 7850 or 7870.
    60-64gb SSD (boot drive to start off with)
    Much further down the line a 120gb/256gb SSD depending on prices
    A second 1Tb harddrive at least.

OC'ing
    Overclocking will be done on the 3570k to a mild 4-4.3ghz. Should I opt for the 7850 i'll be looking to overclock straight away and if (funds permitting) I choose the 7870 i'll most probably be looking to overclock it in the future. No plans for Crossfire as i'm not a big fan and it'd be wasted on that board anyway.

Main Use
    Plan to do a fair amount of gaming well into the next few years with main interest in and around the FPS/TPS genre, occasionally straying to other genres but you get the picture.

My dilemma
    Now as you can see i'm missing a PSU. I need help choosing which will be best suited for my needs, will be a strong performer for the next 3 years or so but also take into account a £90 budget. I know when it comes to PSU's you shouldn't skimp but I'm hoping there's a good PSU out there in the 650w bracket for £90 or less.

The Choices

I was considering the Corsair HX650 for £90 at overclockers.co.uk. Here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-022-CS Am I wrong in thinking this version of the HX650 is built by Seasonic? or is it the, i'm guessing, newer HX650's that retail at ~£100?

OR

Seasonic S12II 620w @ £76.34 from scan http://www.scan.co.uk/products/620w...i-620-87-eff-80-plus-bronze-quiet-fan-atx-psu

OR

Corsair Enthusiast TX650w V2 @ £70 from Scan http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w...-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx-v I've read mixed reviews about longevity. So anyone with any experience please let me know how it is. And from what i've gathered they're fairly loud underload but it's in the list since it's the cheapest.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Noise won't bother me a great deal but nothing ridiculously so. If it's loud enough to be mentioned in product comments then it's probably too loud for me. Am I asking too much for £90? lol Well in any case any suggestions and ideas are welcome.

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

The Corsair HX650. You won't regret it.

3. Chris666

Chris666 What's a Dremel?

From what i have read it is indeed a seasonic unit , ""Even though the HX650W is a brand new product, we are far from unfamiliar with its base design. We could instantly identify the OEM being Seasonic and this design not only is extremely popular for units around this power range but it also is the same as the one used in the HX620W, Corsair’s first PSU product which was released 3 years ago!""
    Seasonic makes the best psu's in my opinion

4. stonedScientist

Thanks for the replies. The HX650 would be the best option to go with. But would the Seasonic S12II not be a good alternative considering the difference in price? Finances are pretty tight and although I can afford the HX650 any savings are always welcome.

5. Chris666

Chris666 What's a Dremel?

I like the look of the seasonic branded unit , when i replace my corsair vx 450 (seasonic unit) i will be looking for something like that unit.. 620w is more then enough unless you wanna sli/crossfire , which you said you don't..

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I would still get the HX650. It's currently powering the system in my sig and has done so without a hiccup for the last year or so. It's powerful, quiet and the reliability cannot be beaten in that price range. Also, don't skimp on the PSU ;)

7. stonedScientist

I guess I'll go with the HX650 then. Seems the sensible thing to do :) thanks guys.

8. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I like the 'coolermaster silent pro m' range of psu.

Ive used the 650w and was very impressed. Good quality, silent and not too expensive.

9. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

You don't need as much as 650W for your build, even with overclocking. It is only if you wanted to add two 7850/7870s to your build in the future that 650W would be really justifiable IMO.

Seasonic G-550 (£77 @ OCUK)
    http://skinflint.co.uk/830688
    Modular, 80 Plus Gold.
    It is a cost reduced version of the X series, but with a lower quality fan, it isn't semi-fanless either.

The Corsair TX650 V2 that you mentioned should be fine from a reliability point of view. However the fan it is known to use has trouble starting up below 1000RPM. Personally I don't regard 1000RPM as quiet. However Corsair are now selling versions of the TX series that are semi-fanless, you'd have to ask the seller if that's the version you'll get though.

10. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I got the hx 650 and I'm running a i5 2500 and a 7850. Its really quiet, and I haven't had any problems with it compared to the hale 90 psu I got which was DoA. Also I think it comes with a 5 year warranty :thumb:

11. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

I'm at the same dillema now. I think about chieftec sps-650c or enermax 625w pro ii
    Both choosed fot silent oprrstion and voltage stability

send from my BLADE via tapatalk

12. oliverr97

oliverr97 What's a Dremel?

Another vote for the corsair hx650, you wont regret it :)

13. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Be quiet modular 630Watt looks great is quiet and is in my rig

Sent from Bittech Android app

stonedScientist likes this.
  14. stonedScientist

Had a look at the Be Quiet 630w L8 Pure Power PSU and at £63 from scan it looks like a very good deal. Very tempted.

It's a toss up between the Corsair HX650 @ £90 and the Be Quiet 630w L8 Pure Power @ £63.

Now i've got a decision to make again! Hmmmm...

15. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

Out of those two my vote goes to the Pure Power L8 630W CM, because the HX650 is overpriced for what it offers nowadays. For a similar price you can get more modern/newer units which are more efficient and quieter.

Last edited: 11 Sep 2012
  16. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I have the 500w, think it was less than £45 and has been rock-solid. It's also inaudible.