1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The Broken MiniLaptop project

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ZeBreadfish, 27 Aug 2012.

1. ZeBreadfish

ZeBreadfish What's a Dremel?

Hello!
    im new to this forum but i searched it for it is just what i need.
    i recently stepped on my mini laptop (oops):D and the screen broke really badly (most of it is black but u can see around 15% of the screen still working, although this doesnt help much)
    As it was not a cheap or an old one, i thought that i could make a project (make something usefull out of it) out of it and have some fun while doing it, i havent got much experience on stuff like this but im also planning to break up my old ps1 and put it into a new shape!(it does not have a cd-slot im afraid so thats not an option)
    heres a link to what the laptop looks like http://icecat.biz/fi/p/samsung/np-nc210-a05se/netbooks-nc210-a05se-9603157.html
    besides the broken screen the laptop works fine, u guys got any ideas what i could make out of this thing?

Thanks in advance!

2. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

A media centre if it has an alternative video output like HDMI or VGA.

3. ZeBreadfish

media center

It does have a vga output, but not hdmi. It has 3 usb-slots, vga output, spaces for headphones and mick, net cable slot and a memory card slot. And of course a place for the charger.
    I was thinking about something more interesting ( i suppose u meant just using it for audio/video player that would be connected into a tv/stereo system).
    I had this one idea that i could rip apart a projector and combine them into a (semi?) portable computer with a projector used for the screens purposes
    Any ideas on that? I welcome any suggestions

4. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

You can also just get a new screen. They aren't really expensive, (about between €50 and €80 shipping included on ebay). And installing is usually fairly straightforward.

I did it with my netbook a while ago (broke the screen on a tablecorner). The only good thing about those netbooks is the fact they are so small and mobile, with a decent battery life.
    If something is not going to move, it has to be a lot more powerfull for me...

EDIT: this being said is in no way to be interpreted as me talking you out of modding fun. I'm just saying that saving the netbook is also a valable option.

5. ZeBreadfish

repairing the screen is an option but not what im looking for.
    something more innovative and challenging would be fun

6. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

I'm warming to the projector idea. I would like to see how it turns out if you ever do it.

7. ZeBreadfish

its possible that i end up doing that, but it probably would need more funding as i doubt that i will find a wireless projector anywhere cheaply.
    also it would need alot of planning as it prolly would require some way to turn the laptop away from the hot projector

8. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

I don't think you need a wireless projector? find an old briefcase that you can put anywhere, open, plug in the power and start projecting :)

9. ZeBreadfish

that would take away the idea of it being easily portable, i just enjoyed the thought that it would also run on rechargeable battery :p

10. ZeBreadfish

up
    i really would like to hear some new ideas on this :)

11. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

make a net-table.

19-24in 16:9 touch screen, wireless connectivity, flip up screen / easy to disassemble maintain keep clean etc.

Pretty lights. Vajazzle that table up.

12. ZeBreadfish

im afraid buying a touch screen to this project is a bit out of my price range...

13. ZeBreadfish

14. ZeBreadfish

15. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

So, you keep upping this thread. Did you come up with something yet?

16. ZeBreadfish

i have been low on funding lately :/
    So no, i havent done anything... i was thinking about buying a new screen but i still wish i could save some money and make something more interesting of it

17. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis