1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Black Mesa Source Release date confirmed

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gunsmith, 2 Sep 2012.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Well, finished it for now (up to end of Lamda Core). Let's hope the remaining parts (Xen and the rest) won't take them few years again.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

At least it's not just me and Gunsmith finding the combat being hard work!

p.s. Shotgun seems to take forever to find! Much later than the original.

3. faugusztin

@Krikkit: on other side i did Black Mesa up until the end of Lambda Core in about a day (real time was probably around 10-14 hours?), but i am pretty sure i was having hard time with HL1 when i played it.

4. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

YUS

5. Just Jon

Just Jon User title provided by Skimtitles

I. Hate. Crouch. Jumping.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it so far, think I'm near the end though [boo]. Had a bug during "On a Rail" the train disappeared leaving just the light shaders when having to
    go up the ladder before the train to eliminate the turrets
    . Also when I first got the machine gun, it wouldn't stop shooting till it emptied the clip! It has crashed a couple of times. Still awesome.

6. faugusztin

Then you will love this :D :
    [​IMG]

7. October

October Mariachi Style

I downloaded from one of the alternate mirrors in half an hour! Only got to just after the cascade so far, massively impressed though. First time I've been truly excited booting a game in aaaages, been waiting for this for years!

8. Just Jon

Just Jon User title provided by Skimtitles

The swines... :duh: Please tell me you can just shoot one and bail till the explosions subside!

9. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

This. As great as the port is, the crouch jumping has almost killed it for me. I cannot remember if it was this bad and unreliable in the original game or if I just didn't care back then.

Black Mesa shows just how much game design has evolved over the last years. A lot of time is spent just looking for the way, as the game gives absolutely no clue as to where to go. Sometimes I had to search for minutes till I found out that I had to go on by smashing the one window that could be smashed and then jumping through using - you guessed it - crouch jumping.

The mod is absolutely amazing. Half-Life tells a great story. But the game design is really showing its age now.

10. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Just found it - I resisted going back and playing half life when I heard about the iminent release, so it has been so long since I completed the original I can't actually remember the original... it's like playing it all over again for the first time :)

I am loving the grainy effect you get when in irradiated areas though :)

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm a good way into it now - launched the rocket.

I'm vey impressed though, it's a pretty good reproduction of the original, and it has only crashed a few times.

+1 on the crouch jumping, I think I died more times on the hanging crates than I did when playing through the entire original; didn't have many problems with the turrets though - there is a very simple way to get close and defeat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

I just hit the blast pit section - loving the graphics

13. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'm completely stuc in c1a1e, can someone PLEASE help me?

It's about that part. I made it to the large warehouse on the other side and killed the three damn creatures but now I have no idea where to go/what to do.

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

im assuming you've never played half life *sigh* after you've dove into the water turn left and walk on through a hole, theres a ladder on the right with a health charger , go through the door and you're on the other side.

15. Jipa

I AM on the other side of the cat walk, but now what? I jumped across the suspended boxes, etc, but now what :confused:

and yes, no, I've never completed the HL1. Not that I remember doing that, anyway.

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Grr. I can't pick up the gluon gun (the Ghostbusters gun) without the game crashing. Oh well, I never used it in the original anyway - the tau cannon was far superior.

Edit: Heh, scrap that. I picked it up by accident and no crash, despite reliably crashing three times in a row at exactly the same point :confused: . It's now stupidly powerful but eats ammo at an insane rate!

Last edited: 16 Sep 2012
  17. faugusztin

No.

At that point you should have at least the pistol. And you have a door there, like in the original :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01OlUVFo3k#t=1m14s

18. Jipa

Ok I took a quick video of the exact place I'm stuck in:

The elevator doesn't work and none of the doors opens..

EDIT: ****. After wasting an hour I finally reloaded the last save and suddenly the elevator works as it should! So I was just stuck because of some weird bug/glitch. Moving on.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2012
  19. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

ok Im stuck now - blast pit, just turned on giant fan - do I backtrack?

20. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

Yes, there's another door back at the blast room on a different level. That one takes you to the power generator. You should have turned on fuel while you were on the air section as well. There's a 'Ready' light as you head back which should be lit green.