1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Borderlands 2 review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 18 Sep 2012.

1. guvnar

guvnar What's a Dremel?

Loved the first - getting the second. OK?

2. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Found the first reasonably enjoyable, won't be rushing to buy this at full price but will probably pick up at some point

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Ditto. I just started a new game and am going Brick for the first time ever. I started a thread some time ago - most "replayable" SP game - and I still think Borderlands is the best in that category.

4. [-Stash-]

[-Stash-] What's a Dremel?

From the CS:GO article "Contrary to rumour, Joe doesn't hate all multiplayer shooters. Here's the proof."

I dunno, given he seems to hate *most* multiplayer shooters, why does he have to keep reviewing them? Someone give the guy a break and give the job to someone who enjoys multiplayer shooters.

I feel seriously depressed after reading this review…

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Will do, I haven't even touched co-op in it yet.

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Borderlands (and the sequel) are essentially first person Diablo type games. Click-click-click-click until you win.

As a mindless (and apparently quite lengthy) time sink, that sounds right up my ally.

I took from the review that whilst Joe agrees the game is functionally very good, he didn't find it very exciting. And given he has reached a zen-like plinth of game-understanding, these days I suspect nothing apart from a genre-blowing revolutionizing title that wins the Man Booker Prize, it's developers the Noble Prize for Literature and renders all other forms of story telling obsolete, will.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

borderlands has some great humor to it the claptraps are funny as hell in alot of scenes and the is basically endless replayability.

8. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

CardJoe is right, never take a BT game review seriously!

Still waiting on that re-review...

S*D

9. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Well... I've played Borderlands with all 4 classes before and with all AddOns. It was lots of fun and the dark humour was really enjoyable.

For Borderlands 2 I hope that multiplayer will be more fun then in the first release, but the single-player-mode should be just as much fun as was the first part, so I'll enjoy playing it.

Definately one of the best shooters for me to play out there currently, as I don't like BF and CoD or anything resembling real-world military.

10. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Just....no.

11. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I must be the only person here that thought that Borderlands 1 was total rubbish...

12. Musicboffin

Musicboffin What's a Dremel?

What a piss poor review. You cover 3 points:

1. Bit of backstory - Fair enough, no complaints there, but it doesn't take a degree in journalism to summarise the back of the box.
    2. You comment that you have to shoot your way through the missions/quests. It's a FPS RPG. That's what FPS means, not "cowardly negotiation to avoid bloodshed".
    3. Rant about money - Ok... What about the rest of the game? Of everything in the game, all you took away from it was you had to collect the money?

I appreciate you probably wanted to get a review out quickly, but this is a waste of time. You piss and moan and then slap 85% on it? This is one of the biggest releases of the year, you need to do better than a few screenshots and 2 half arsed pages of ramblings. I guess we should be thankful it isn't littered with the usual BitTech spelling mistakes a quick proof read would have flagged up. This review suggests you played the game for 30mins, read the back of the box and then wrote this.

Go away, play the game properly, cover more than 2 aspects of the game. Here is a list of suggestions:

- How do the classes vary from Borderlands 1?
    - Are the missions repetitive and boring?
    - Does the game feel padded with content or is there enough variety?
    - Are there any new mob types?
    - Is the storyline immersive?
    - How many hours gameplay is there? Is it good value for money?

Shocking...

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Nah I played it for about 2 or 3 hours before I got bored. 2 looks like more of the same to me.

14. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

More evidence that office drinking games and writing do not mix!

15. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Me too. Maybe not total rubbish, but it just felt like a single player MMO to me, full of grindy repetitive quests that felt a bit like a chore, without the satisfaction of epic long term progression and dungeons and raids and groups and stuff. Even MMO's themselves are starting wear pretty thin with me these days, but a slimmed down single player version? No thanks!

I know some people love it though, so each to their own. Personally I'm more interested in a new Stalker game or something like that, and of course, Arma3, *drool*.

16. whamio

whamio What's a Dremel?

Rating a game is simple, look at the hours played. Steam says I played Borderlands 990 hrs...that's a Great game. Borderlands 2 gets a buy rec. on that alone.

17. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I gave Borderlands 1 about 5-6 hours of my time...I got very tired very quickly of running around a corner, killing a bunch of enemies and then having to kill the exact same enemies 1 minute later simply because I ran around the same corner again.

18. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Its the FPS equivalant of Diablo.

19. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

It really isn't...

Diablo had randomly generated levels with monsters that stayed dead once you'd killed them
    Borderlands does not have randomly generated levels and the mobs respawn endlessly

20. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Honestly.....I've given up on BT review scores. It's very cynical and forgets that we should just enjoy the damn game. I like Kotaku's style: Should you play this game? YES OR NO. Nice and easy with no arbitrary scores.

Tags: Add Tags