1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory harddisk advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by javaman, 18 Sep 2012.

1. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Hey everyone. My gf dropped her laptop the other day now it wont boot. It loads up then blue screens for a fraction of a second before trying to boot again. I tried plugging the disk into my desktop and it was detcted but only one partition was accessable. the disk isnt rattling internally so it doesnt seem completely broken. Is it still possible to get the data off the disk?

2. JY_OC_HX

JY_OC_HX Minimodder

I had something similar but not after dropping the drive. It would get to post, start loading the OS and then reboot and repeat. If you can see one partition then you may be able to get some data off it so not all hope is lost. We managed to get data from ours using a free piece of linux software. I can't remember what it was called now but it was one for recovering accidentally deleted data. This may be worth a shot and theres quite a few good ones. I'll have a look at what it was called when i get home and let you know.

3. JY_OC_HX

JY_OC_HX Minimodder

Try a program called safecopy. It is AWESOME.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I would suggest to look into HDD's that store the head away from the disks when the system is turned off. This way it won't happen again (assuming the laptop is off).

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Cheers for the replys. ill look into that software now. Laptop was on when it was dropped unfortunately.

6. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

What does the disk look like in Disk Management?

7. Lantizia

Lantizia What's a Dremel?

Yeah a modern Linux live CD is probably your best bet to read the disk and extract whatever data you can from whatever filesystem it is using. Once you've got the data off I'd personally never trust that disk again.