1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Licorice (updated 5/11 with sanded window panel pic)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bust0aster, 7 Apr 2003.

1. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

2. wiLx u Up

wiLx u Up What's a Dremel?

Dude, i think its a disaster mod.

Or you could try cutting out everthing into a bigger window. But damn.. fux0red panels. I say just recut everything.. slowly!

:dremel:

3. bust0aster

bust0aster What's a Dremel?

its not really as bad as it looks. most of it is just scratched paint which i planned on sanding and repainting anyway. trust me it will look better once i file the edges down a bit and its sanded and painted :D remember this is a project log and its a work in progress.

4. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

:worried: ouch. hope you get those panels fixed :dremel:

5. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

I got some (small...) bends on my aluminum bezel too (Steel Case Project), but they were easily fixed with a small hammer against a flat surface.

6. bust0aster

thanks bard. i'll give that a shot. most of the bends that are there are really small and there arn't that many of them.

7. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

hammering it on a flat surface should help a bit... but remember it may cause some dents in the surface of the metal

8. Jack

Jack Minimodder

Dude not being funny but that really Sux

How the F**K did you manage that wil a dremel even with a jigsaw on Alui i didn't bend it at all

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :confused: :confused: :eyebrow:

9. bust0aster

Like i said before its not really as bad as it looks in the pic. the scratches came because im painting it and dont care what happens to the paintjob so thats just from being layed out on the table with filings and such on it. as far as the bending/dents well lets just say i got a little curious with a pair of powerfull scissors i have (they are powerfull and i was curious :D ). This whole case is pretty much an experiment and learning experiance for me. its my first "real" mod so i dont mind the little things. but trust me its not nearly as bad as that pic makes it out to be. oh and thanks for being so supportive :nono: :D

10. Jack

Jack Minimodder

Ohh iam being supportive mate hope the case goes well and looks the dogs mate!!

But to put it lightly thats bad??? If your not concerned with the paint finish then just jig it you'll get a far better finish!!

also the lines look abit wonky!

id suggest taking alot more time

as for the dremel jig thing i could not handle a dremel not my kind off thing so perhaps using different tools might be your key

11. bust0aster

did some sanding this weekend and some cleanup of the erm ah lines last weekend. I only get a couple hours a week to work on this and i wanted to wait till i got rid of the paint on the surfaces to show anymore. say what you want, but i like it. you can see I have just a bit more sanding to do on the edges near some of the cuts, but I figured it was good enough not to get razzed too much :D
    [​IMG]

12. Jack

Jack Minimodder

It is starting to look alot cleaner than the black pic above mate perhaps the pic above didn't do it justice (Jack's way of probably saying he was wrong :) )

Interesting choose of window

13. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

might want to take a ruler to those cuts to make em more square :dremel: and it looks 10x better than the first pics :thumb:

14. bust0aster

thanks for the replies. ya, it does look alot better. I can see how it would be hard to ignore the paint job in them even though it was going away. I really just wanted to get some pics up of the work asap.

Next I'll be finishing off the last bit of sanding and then move on to painting. Its gonna be painted black again but it will have a red stripe the color of the frame (or should I say colour ;) ) on the sides and top. Right now im concidering how I want to mount the windows. There will be moulding on the windows. I want a way so that I can replace the windows if I so choose so I was thinking maybe rivets or just screws so i'll need to cut and clean those as well.

Oh and that left thin window that runs down the back side of the case is going to have some sort of etch in it.

15. semiSfear

semiSfear What's a Dremel?

well i must agree with a lot of others here. it sure looked awful. i'm glad u managed to fis it thou. still i think those cut outs need some more work. keep at it, maybe it turns out great.

16. Snitch

Snitch Supremodder

I have read what u said but i still cant understand how u managed to make it looks so fking bad.:jawdrop:
    Did u cut out the window with an axe or did u feed ur dog with it?

I mean OMG!

17. BoCoMoFo

BoCoMoFo What's a Dremel?

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

I don't want to sound mean, so please don't take it that way, but I really don't see how a Dremel bent the edges so bad while you were cutting with it. I've cut plenty with Dremels, and I've never had results that looked chewed up like that. Maybe you need to cut a little slower in the future so that doesn't happen, or just toss the Dremel and get a Nibbler instead.

18. Jack

Jack Minimodder

To be fair the picture does look alot better than the above black 1 as said

BUT again i kinda agree still with the other it still needs alot of work doing to it??
    And TBH mate it seems your making to much hard work of just the side panel but the overall look has improved

What id do is this

Mask the side panel up and draw the cut outs again just alittle bit bigger than the original cuts that way you'll see that the lines are in fact straight, Then get a jigsaw yes a jigsaw its alot easier than a dremel and if you take it slowly you should get a good straight line

If you get that far file the edges of the cuts and then sand believe me it only takes 5 mins to file and sand and it makes all the difference

It seems like you have just done the cut-out by eye perhaps preperation might help

19. Snitch

Snitch Supremodder

A DREMEL DIDNT DO THESE "CHEWMARKS".

It just isnt possible

[edit] What tool did u use? (i mean like cuttingdisc)

20. Jack

Jack Minimodder

I also dont see a dremel doing the dents that in the side panel as you dont have to put pressure on the dremel for it to cut it just glides!!:eyebrow:

But i have said this B4 and no im not ashamed of it i cant use a dremel to save mt life!!!:confused: i find it really hard, mind you i have got a really shakey hand perhaps as surgested another tool would help